Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 07:50 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 07:50

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 332 [1]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 332 [0]
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
 Q47  V41
Send PM
Re: NYU Langone Fall 2008 [#permalink]
Hey everyone. I've been trolling around GMAT Club for a while but never posted. I guess since I've finally started the application this weekend, now I should show myself! Here's my stats:

American Female
GMAT: 710 (47Q/41V)
UGPA: 3.9, strong extracurriculars (back then at least)
will be 3 yrs work experience in September - 1 yr Big 4 audit, currently Tax/IT at Fortune 50 company.

I'm applying for the Washington Sq weeknights program. And as for essay 3, thinking of sending a portrait of me sitting around on my laptop with an empty word document on the screen! That seems to sum me up the best right now ;)
SVP
SVP
Send PM
axion1565 wrote:
Just to put this out there... A Langone prof told me that NYU Langone fall admission is more competitive than spring admission. Reason being is that only the fall admission stats (GMAT, GPA etc) are used in rankings. As a result, the school accepts students of lesser caliber in the spring, because those stats won't bring down the published stats.

That is interesting, if not questionable logic. I think fall admissions may be more selective merely b/c more people apply in the fall instead of the spring. I think that's just the natural thought process of applicants after 16 years of schooling that begins in the fall.

If the reasoning for the increased selectivity, as purported by the Langone prof, is fear of less than stellar published stats, then it seems to me the only difference between fall and spring would be a greater focus on readily reportable numbers (gmat/gpa/etc) for the fall applicants than the spring applicants and not increased selectivity.

Good to know though. Thanks!
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 30 [0]
Send PM
Does one need to have a job while he/she is on Part-time

If i dont get any where, I might apply for Stern part-time

Quit my Job, try to finish the MBA asap( 2 years ) and benefit by attend all the networking events

But i wonder, if they would allow me to attend the events or would my lack of job be a issue later

Any thoughts from my friends?
SVP
SVP
Send PM
Ozmba wrote:

Quit my Job, try to finish the MBA asap( 2 years ) and benefit by attend all the networking events

But i wonder, if they would allow me to attend the events or would my lack of job be a issue later

It is an interesting option. The reps always say that you get the same MBA, whether you graduate PT or FT. However, if you're looking for a job relatively close to business school (timing-wise) and they know that you attend PT w/o working, I have to assume they frown upon that. I think it's sort of a badge of honor to attend PT and work FT.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Send PM
Quote:
Ozmba wrote:

As a newly minted Langone student (we're only into the second week of class), I can tell you that you are expected to be a full-time employee while matriculated in the program. As per an admissions rep, if you should lose your job, you are expected to conduct a full-time job search while remaining in the PT program.
Director
Director
Send PM
Quote:
As a newly minted Langone student (we're only into the second week of class), I can tell you that you are expected to be a full-time employee while matriculated in the program. As per an admissions rep, if you should lose your job, you are expected to conduct a full-time job search while remaining in the PT program.

Thats crap..even chicago GSB doesnt bother about the work status
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Quote:
Quote:

Thats crap..even chicago GSB doesnt bother about the work status

Just the messenger. I personally asked the same question at orientation, and that was the response I was given.
Director
Director
Send PM
Quote:
Just the messenger. I personally asked the same question at orientation, and that was the response I was given.

hey buddy thanks

I mean - the schools stupid policy

One would be better off at Baruch Full time rather than Stern PT

Originally posted by Ozmba on 20 Feb 2008, 09:46.
Last edited by Ozmba on 20 Feb 2008, 10:16, edited 1 time in total.
SVP
SVP
Send PM
Ozmba wrote:
Quote:

hey buddy thanks

I would be better off at Baruch Full time rather than Stern PT

I'm not so sure about that. Either way, I wonder how stringently Stern enforces that policy.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Quote:
hey buddy thanks

I would be better off at Baruch Full time rather than Stern PT

I'm not so sure about that. Either way, I wonder how stringently Stern enforces that policy.

I don't know you Ozmba, so I can't quite comment on your particular situation, but I think you would be hard-pressed to find someone who would recommend a Baruch MBA over an NYU MBA.
As for how/whether Stern maintains tabs on PT's job status, beats me if they can or ever do.
SVP
SVP
Send PM
Maccaphile,

Do you have any info on Langone Professional Development Program?
Intern
Intern
Send PM
I've just started.. in my 2nd week of classes.

Ombza: Does one need to have a job while he/she is on Part-time

Nearly all part time students work full time. I have not seen anything that states it as a requirement. However, i believe, its expected that you are working at the time that you enter school. All students undergo a background check to verify employment and previous academic records before matriculation. After you're officially in, if you lose your job or quit, i dont think its a big deal.

kidderek: Question re LPDP.

LPDP is a required program if you want to have access to the on campus interview sessions. It preps the students on whats expected of them during interview and such. I believe its 7 - 8 sessions and students are only allowed to register if they are graduating within a year.

Stats 710 - 3.4 - 5 years Systems / CS / Defense exp.
Hindsight:
I considered a few options after submitting my langone app.
1. Columbia - Has a higher rank according to some. Its an IVY.
I attended an info session at columbia and their campus is beautiful. Thats about all i liked. I found the fellow applicants at the session to be pretentious. The professor that spoke was stodgy, with an attitude of " i'm a professor of C O L U M B I A, we're the best, silver spoon entitlement".
I left the info session wondering why columbia was ranked higher.. i thought about the cost of spending 2-3 three years with these people. aye.

2. NYU Stern Full-Time.
I considered this as an option because a career change is the eventual goal after B-School and a full-time mba is said to be better for this goal.
- a summed up my decision and he was right on the money. " You're not going to do full-time because you do not want pay out 90k in Tuition" <--- right on the money.

Now that i'm here, i'm convinced that i made the right choice. There is definitely a huge sense of community among stern students. they call it "Social Capital". regarding career change, there are tools available to the part time student. Also, keep in mind that you will have a thousand plus classmates that will have full time jobs and should be able to get you an interview should the need arise. in a full time program, you will have 400 plus people about to graduate, all competing for jobs.

Hope this helps.
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 223 [0]
Given Kudos: 22
Concentration: General Management
Schools:NYU Stern '11
Columbia has a Part-Time program that doesn't lead to an EMBA? That's news to me.

grizybaer wrote:
Hindsight:
I considered a few options after submitting my langone app.
1. Columbia - Has a higher rank according to some. Its an IVY.
I attended an info session at columbia and their campus is beautiful. Thats about all i liked. I found the fellow applicants at the session to be pretentious. The professor that spoke was stodgy, with an attitude of " i'm a professor of C O L U M B I A, we're the best, silver spoon entitlement".
I left the info session wondering why columbia was ranked higher.. i thought about the cost of spending 2-3 three years with these people. aye.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Columbia had an Accelerated MBA program geared toward working students. the main difference was that it did not offer internship opportunities.

Accelerated MBA Program
The Accelerated MBA Program is completed in four consecutive terms, beginning in January 2008 and concluding in May 2009.

The program is ideal for:

* Entrepreneurs
* Individuals who will be joining or returning to family businesses
* Students who are sponsored by their employers
* Students who plan to remain in their chosen field or who have built a strong network in the industry of their choice

The program is designed for those students who do not want or need an internship. The principal advantage of this 16-month program is its accelerated format, which allows members of the smaller January class to network quickly and effectively and to return to the workplace sooner.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 3 [0]
Send PM
Grizy,

As far as I know, Columbia's Accelerated MBA isn't a part-time program, it's an accelerated full-time program. It could be of use to Oz, since there is talk of quitting the job to get the MBA, but it's not a great choice for someone who must remain working full-time...

-------

Also, to the other discussion...I've never seen or heard anywhere that NYU requires P/T students to be remain employed full-time, but despite the protests here to the contrary, there are other elite P/T programs that do require students to remain employed (or at least look for jobs if they are out of work) while doing a P/T MBA. I read an article about it a while back, but can't recall the link right now. If I find it I will post later.

My impression from the Stern orientation is that while the LPDP is an excellent program, a low percentage of the students who go through the program actually receive an offer of employment through the program. That's not to say that they don't receive job offers through networking events they attend through the LPDP, or that the skills they learn don't assist in their career aspirations, but the number of participants who receive official offers from the LPDP through LPDP employers seemed fairly low.

-------
Director
Director
Send PM
Quote:
As far as I know, Columbia's Accelerated MBA isn't a part-time program, it's an accelerated full-time program. It could be of use to Oz, since there is talk of quitting the job to get the MBA, but it's not a great choice for someone who must remain working full-time...

hey i am applying for J-term this year and Stern PT was the last resort ...
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Ozmba wrote:
hey i am applying for J-term this year and Stern PT was the last resort ...

J term as in January? R3 deadlines for FT programs are approaching Mar 1st. PT Fall 08 is may 15th
GMAT Club Bot
 1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11  ...  60