Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 16:03 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 16:03

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 56 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 1682 [0]
Given Kudos: 210
Send PM
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 265 [0]
Send PM
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 308 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Concentration: Health Care Marketing
Schools:Ross '10
Send PM
[#permalink]
I took a writing course earlier this year. One technique that I found helpful to overcome writer's block is commonly called "free writing".

Schedule a 20 minute slot everyday, pick a topic during that time and just keep writing during that period. Never stop. Just write something continuously irrespective of whether it makes sense. Write it down as it occurs to you with no regard to logic, grammar or structure.

By doing this regularly within a short time you will be able to train your brain to produce material at a moments notice.

Try it. Trust me. It works.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 699 [0]
Given Kudos: 14
Concentration: Technology, Entrepreneurship, Digital Media & Entertainment
Schools:UC Berkeley Haas School of Business MBA 2010
 Q51  V41
GPA: 3.9 - undergrad 3.6 - grad-EE
WE 1: Social Gaming
Send PM
[#permalink]
I'm somewhat similar, but I have a different problem. I have no problem writing things down in outline form (in fact, my outlines almost always exceed the word limit!), but I DREAD writing with a capital D. So I sit in front of my computer, re-load GMATClub as often as I can, go watch some TV, read the news, anything to not write...

then I start writing, and I can write for 1-2 hours non-stop with tons of ideas and it's not all bad... then I stop, and I DREAD again... I'm so weird...
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 30 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
haha. kryzak, you just described my writing process :(
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 48 [0]
Given Kudos: 8
Concentration: Finance, Economics
Schools: HKUST MBA - Class of 2014
GMAT 1: 740 Q48 V44
GPA: 3.2
WE:Consulting (Consulting)
Send PM
[#permalink]
I get bursts of inspiration after watching movies.. and after drinking beer with my buddies..

Although half of them is duch deadly crap that I have to delete them before my eyes start hurting after reading 2 or more sentences.

After I am done submitting my essays - I will put in my first drafts and my finished essays online on this forum... so that people can realize what a painful process the whole writing process is!!!!!! :idea:
Manager
Manager
Send PM
[#permalink]
Ok, now I don't feel so useless. Thanks guys.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
 Q51  V41
Send PM
[#permalink]
OMG, avi, I think you hit on a great idea! ;) (I'm actually kinda serious)... wouldn't it be funny if we had a thread where people post their first drafts of their essays, just for everyone to see how bad it is? Maybe that'll help the anxiety and stress of current applicants so they know that even those who get into H/S/W start off very humbly ;)
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Re: writing process [#permalink]
bsd_lover wrote:
First of all,

Welcome back baer.

ps. How far are you with your NYU essay ?

Thanks!! Been busy with work over the past month. I'm in full app mode right now.

I'd say I'm about half way done with my NYU essays. It's such a grueling process! Where are you applying?
Manager
Manager
Send PM
[#permalink]
kryzak wrote:
wouldn't it be funny if we had a thread where people post their first drafts of their essays, just for everyone to see how bad it is?

I'm not posting the drivel that I turn out on first draft. You'd think I was applying for kindergarten or something!
SVP
SVP
Send PM
Re: writing process [#permalink]
Columbia J-Term initially. Others depending on the result.

I am about 80% there with my essays. As in text is fully there. Refinement in progress :)

baer wrote:
bsd_lover wrote:
First of all,

Welcome back baer.

ps. How far are you with your NYU essay ?

Thanks!! Been busy with work over the past month. I'm in full app mode right now.

I'd say I'm about half way done with my NYU essays. It's such a grueling process! Where are you applying?
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
 Q51  V41
Send PM
[#permalink]
you guys put me to shame (bsd and baer)! :oops:
SVP
SVP
Send PM
[#permalink]
Hehe,

Funny idea, but I am too shy even to post my final product :). This whole concept of selling myself via essays is totally alien to me. Perhaps I would if I knew that I was admitted into a good school ... so maybe those who get a confirmed admit could 'give something back' to the rest of the applicants by posting an essay ?

kryzak wrote:
OMG, avi, I think you hit on a great idea! ;) (I'm actually kinda serious)... wouldn't it be funny if we had a thread where people post their first drafts of their essays, just for everyone to see how bad it is? Maybe that'll help the anxiety and stress of current applicants so they know that even those who get into H/S/W start off very humbly ;)
Director
Director
Send PM
[#permalink]
I wouldn't mind posting my essays at all - perhaps the moderators can open a section where people can post essays anonymously.

baer - everyone starts with drivel. If you read my first draft, you would fall off the chair in laughter. But the truth is, not all of us are good writers. I had to start from somewhere, even if its crap.

Guys, essay writing is hard process - even Pulitzer writers probably feel butterflies in their stomachs when they write their stuff.

I am all in for submitting my essays and drafts as read only versions online - so that these dont get downloaded or mis-used.
SVP
SVP
Send PM
[#permalink]
The more I think about it, the more it seems like a good idea.It might make even more sense if the access were restricted to regular contributors, thereby ensuring the continuity of progress of regular gmat clubbers. However I can see several intellectual property control type issues. I would be particularly worried about someone stealing my ideas....

aviroop wrote:
I wouldn't mind posting my essays at all - perhaps the moderators can open a section where people can post essays anonymously.

baer - everyone starts with drivel. If you read my first draft, you would fall off the chair in laughter. But the truth is, not all of us are good writers. I had to start from somewhere, even if its crap.

Guys, essay writing is hard process - even Pulitzer writers probably feel butterflies in their stomachs when they write their stuff.

I am all in for submitting my essays and drafts as read only versions online - so that these dont get downloaded or mis-used.
Director
Director
Send PM
[#permalink]
I am suggesting that the essays will be online only after we get admitted - then the IP issue does not come into play. I will be more than happy to help out GMAT contributors.

However as you pointed out, there are several pother issues here and care should be taken that people do not simply copy and paste our essays onto theirs - then again they should know the risks. Plagairism is not going to get them admitted into B Schools.

Perhaps the moderators can be better judges on this matter.

However I pity those who will read my first drafts - I can already hear the roars of laughter.

8-)
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 308 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Concentration: Health Care Marketing
Schools:Ross '10
Send PM
[#permalink]
I think it is really bad idea to post essays on this forum. You never know how you might feel down the road when you are waiting for the results. Lets say your first result is a ding(heaven forbid!) and the guy you shared the essays with reports an admit, there are just million ways in which doubt, mistrust and frustration can creep in.

Lets keep our community as good as it is. Lets not do anything that we might regret later.Sort of like best friends indulging in a one-night stand only for it to ruin a great friendship.

We can certainly laugh about how rotten our 1st drafts were, but lets wait until we have admits before we do that. Even then, I wouldn't post essays on the forum. I recommend using the PM.
Director
Director
Send PM
[#permalink]
true......

I actually like your one night stand analogy - its quite true!!!

Well then..no posting essays for the time being
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
 Q51  V41
Send PM
[#permalink]
actually, that's what I was suggesting to (along with avi), to post the essays AFTER we get admits, so at the end of this whole season. but nc's analogy about a one-night stand is funny ;)

I think it should probably be something similar to the GMATClub challenges, where only people with 200 posts and over can get access, and we can post them anonymously if we like.

The more I think about it, the more I think it's a GREAT idea to enrich GMAT Club and contribute back in a way more than just providing comments and stuff. There aren't enough sample essays out there, and most of the ones in books are written by supermen (or women). I will definitely be one of the most "average joes" if I get into some of the schools I want to get into.

Praet, Hjort, Fig, any CEO's listening? (I know rhyme is enjoying himself on some beach right now :P)
GMAT Club Bot
[#permalink]
 1   2   3   4