Last visit was: 23 Apr 2024, 13:29 It is currently 23 Apr 2024, 13:29

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 168 [4]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 215 [0]
Given Kudos: 4
Concentration: Investment Management
Schools:CBS, Cornell, Duke, Ross, Darden
Send PM
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 698 [0]
Given Kudos: 14
Concentration: Technology, Entrepreneurship, Digital Media & Entertainment
Schools:UC Berkeley Haas School of Business MBA 2010
 Q51  V41
GPA: 3.9 - undergrad 3.6 - grad-EE
WE 1: Social Gaming
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 13 [0]
Send PM
Re: Bewakoof's take on Duke vs UCLA.. [#permalink]
Here...
https://www.fuqua.duke.edu/mba/daytime/e ... mdean.html
Maybe this will help answer your questions.

Bewakoof..I have a similar decision to make, only that my goals are different and there is no money involved with either school :(

I don't think that there is any "risk" with either school. Just because UCLA is a public school does not impact its placement capabilities. We all know UCLA almost rules LA..... I live there and trust me it does. If you want a banking job in LA/SF you can be sure of getting it.

I've spoken to alums from both schools and gathered that both schools tend to be equally known/unknown outside the US.
The H/S/W/K's of the world enjoy a more global reputation.

Going by your analysis...I think that you'd be better served by UCLA mainly because UCLA's strengths tie into your goals very well.

ryguy904 wrote:
Very educational post. Curious, and perhaps aau can chime in as well, why the Duke employment stats looked horrific in the recent US News rankings if the school "goes out of its way to get you a job"...?

Cheers-
RG
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 144 [1]
Given Kudos: 10
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Technology
Schools: Hong Kong University of Science and Technology (HKUST) - Class of 2010
Send PM
Kudos
Bewakoof, if your interested in post-mba career in Hong Kong, then keep in touch. I'll be at HKUST so will be there and will be networking extensively. I already have a contact in an IB in HK . PM me if you want more details.

I'm not interested in going into finance so its not competition for me.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 59 [0]
Send PM
Great post to the OP. And I see a lot of positive post and even networking going on in GMATclub.

Really glad i found this forum.

Good luck, I am from LA and I must say, UCLA is a really nice school!
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 13 [0]
Send PM
so what does toga have to share regarding UCLA's vs Duke's brand recognition in HK/SEA?
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 168 [0]
Send PM
togafoot wrote:
Bewakoof, if your interested in post-mba career in Hong Kong, then keep in touch. I'll be at HKUST so will be there and will be networking extensively. I already have a contact in an IB in HK . PM me if you want more details.

I'm not interested in going into finance so its not competition for me.

thanks man!! definitely keep in touch.. Do you have fbook?
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Send PM
kk.iyer wrote:
Here...
https://www.fuqua.duke.edu/mba/daytime/e ... mdean.html
Maybe this will help answer your questions.

Bewakoof..I have a similar decision to make, only that my goals are different and there is no money involved with either school :(

I don't think that there is any "risk" with either school. Just because UCLA is a public school does not impact its placement capabilities. We all know UCLA almost rules LA..... I live there and trust me it does. If you want a banking job in LA/SF you can be sure of getting it.

I've spoken to alums from both schools and gathered that both schools tend to be equally known/unknown outside the US.
The H/S/W/K's of the world enjoy a more global reputation.

Going by your analysis...I think that you'd be better served by UCLA mainly because UCLA's strengths tie into your goals very well.

ryguy904 wrote:
Very educational post. Curious, and perhaps aau can chime in as well, why the Duke employment stats looked horrific in the recent US News rankings if the school "goes out of its way to get you a job"...?

Cheers-
RG

Yes.. I think I would be better served at UCLA too. I have no background in Finance and for me to break into the field, I would need extreme networking, and lot of help. Duke's first year seems to be very happy with second years with all the help they got. Sometimes, I feel may be for me a tighter knit community is what is needed but then again UCLA's strength is in Finance so I can't go wrong.

As far as risks are concerned: I was talking to the Career services in both the schools and it seems like Duke plans well for its Int'l students so that they can get H1 B on time, whereas UCLA is all over. UCLA career services wasn't up to date with info while Duke's career services were planning to get Int'l students their degree earlier so that they qualify for H1B lottery, the year they graduate. Small things like these made me feel like DUke is more prepared and students are more secured! Again, UCLA has good Int'l population and their employment report says 97% employment 3 months after graduation, so they must do thing RIGHT.
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 233 [0]
Given Kudos: 2
Concentration: Social Enterprise
Schools:The Duke MBA, Class of 2009
Send PM
hi, all. good post, bewakoof.

I can add a bit about placement:

One challenge for us is that the rankings are about placements by graduation and within 3 months of graduation. Our graduation is in the first week of May, compared to later in June for some schools. In other words, those other graduates have more time to find jobs. I don't know how much of a difference it would make - I don't have access to that data - but I'd be interested to see.

Also, we have a very well-blended set of industries students go into: marketing, finance, and consulting are all about equal, but then there are big numbers in health care and nonprofit and the like. This pushes out the recruiting timeline, and brings down the average salary. (As does placing a large number of students in the south.)

I think a more fundamental issue is our decision to add a section during a severe downturn in MBA applicants. We had to let in another ~120 people during a year when the applications were down a lot. Our selectivity is only finally beginning to recover.

We'll see what happens. It's funny where I sit - the rankings matter when you're not in, but much less so when you are. Will BCG and McK and Citi and J&J stop recruiting here suddenly? No, they won't. And the reason I came to Duke is some of what lowers our rankings: I love the emphasis on social enterprise, health care, general management, etc. I can't believe how truly valuable it is to have students from a variety of industries and from all over the country. Does it mean our ending salaries are lower? Yes. Does it mean some of my classmates are just starting to secure internships in the nonprofit world, with PE, with VC? Yup. And I wouldn't change that for anything.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Send PM
but aau.. we never discussed rankings in this thread..

from my perspective.. Hjort's cluster rankings are the best..
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 233 [0]
Given Kudos: 2
Concentration: Social Enterprise
Schools:The Duke MBA, Class of 2009
Send PM
bewakoof wrote:
but aau.. we never discussed rankings in this thread..

from my perspective.. Hjort's cluster rankings are the best..

I agree with you that Hjort's cluster system makes the most sense, and is also the most realistic.

But my response was actually prompted by RG's question above:

ryguy904 wrote:
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 4 [0]
Send PM
as someone that attended A-Days II, I think I know who bewakoof is =) Good luck in your decision
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
 Q51  V41
Send PM
aaudetat wrote:
One challenge for us is that the rankings are about placements by graduation and within 3 months of graduation. Our graduation is in the first week of May, compared to later in June for some schools. In other words, those other graduates have more time to find jobs. I don't know how much of a difference it would make - I don't have access to that data - but I'd be interested to see.

We'll see what happens. It's funny where I sit - the rankings matter when you're not in, but much less so when you are. Will BCG and McK and Citi and J&J stop recruiting here suddenly? No, they won't. And the reason I came to Duke is some of what lowers our rankings: I love the emphasis on social enterprise, health care, general management, etc. I can't believe how truly valuable it is to have students from a variety of industries and from all over the country. Does it mean our ending salaries are lower? Yes. Does it mean some of my classmates are just starting to secure internships in the nonprofit world, with PE, with VC? Yup. And I wouldn't change that for anything.

well said Aau, I definitely need to meet you sometime, we think very alike. :)
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Send PM
socalconsult wrote:
as someone that attended A-Days II, I think I know who bewakoof is =) Good luck in your decision

hmmmmmmmm.... so you are one of the current students.. You have to reveal your name now.. I am very very curious..
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
 Q51  V41
Send PM
bewakoof wrote:
socalconsult wrote:

hmmmmmmmm.... so you are one of the current students.. You have to reveal your name now.. I am very very curious..

I know what he did last summer :P
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 144 [0]
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Technology
Schools: Hong Kong University of Science and Technology (HKUST) - Class of 2010
Send PM
kk.iyer wrote:
so what does toga have to share regarding UCLA's vs Duke's brand recognition in HK/SEA?

To be frank, I don't work in a traditional MBA industry, and when I was working in the UK, MBA's were not that common or deemed necessary. Most of my friends don't even know what an MBA is and don't care, that also includes the friends in Japan. The only people I know who are MBA aware are the recruitment consultants I play football with, because they are either Finance recruiters or American.

Before October last year, I'd never ever heard of Duke. UCLA i'd hear about, only via sports channels. In fact I would guess most of the people i Know back home in the UK and in Japan have probably never heard of Duke.

One thing about talking on this forum is that everyone here knows all about B-schools, their perceived status and advantages, so we are mostly discussing things from a common base knowledge. Once I go outside of this forum, most people i talk to don't care at all, have no interest, and a lot of these 'brand' name schools, have no brand outside of the post-MBA recruitment industries. I talked to my brother about it (he's a senior manager at one of the largest mobile phone network operators) and he has not heard of most of the schools.

In a nutshell, I have no idea, because I don't work in a traditional MBA Grad huntind industry.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 13 [2]
Send PM
Kudos
Thanx toga...that just helped corroborate what I gathered from my research about these schools over the last few days.
I've realized, that very few schools truly pull their weight outside of their home grounds; and those are the truly global brands.
I must admit even I hadn't heard of many of the top schools I ended up applying to until I started my research.
A few M7 schools I had heard of but not all.
togafoot wrote:
One thing about talking on this forum is that everyone here knows all about B-schools, their perceived status and advantages, so we are mostly discussing things from a common base knowledge. Once I go outside of this forum, most people i talk to don't care at all, have no interest, and a lot of these 'brand' name schools, have no brand outside of the post-MBA recruitment industries.

Also of mention is probably the fact that the university name might often times ring a bell but not the actual B-school name.

I am sure many people out there know UCLA but how many know Anderson is its MBA program? Same with Duke...how many actually know "Fuqua"? For these schools the University's brand is better known...

On similar lines..think about how people would remember..H/S/W/K
Wharton is a bigger name in the MBA world than...U Penn
Kellogg is a bigger name than is Northwestern

I think you'd see where I am going with this...

At the end of the day, I also think the brand-value for any school is relative to its location.
Where I grew up (India), IIM grads are considered to be best of the breed and draw probably the best salaries for that geography. The IIM brand can do wonders back there and may be parts of SEA. But here....?

The same would hold good for all geographies with local schools enjoying a distinct advantage over the others.
True global brands...i'd think, are just a handful.

All that said...each of the Elite schools is an excellent choice one cannot go wrong with. But it certainly will help to understand and accept that not many schools enjoy the global recognition that one would want them to...

My two cents...discussions are welcome...
Intern
Intern
Send PM
kk.iyer wrote:
Thanx toga...that just helped corroborate what I gathered from my research about these schools over the last few days.
I've realized, that very few schools truly pull their weight outside of their home grounds; and those are the truly global brands.
I must admit even I hadn't heard of many of the top schools I ended up applying to until I started my research.
A few M7 schools I had heard of but not all.
togafoot wrote:
One thing about talking on this forum is that everyone here knows all about B-schools, their perceived status and advantages, so we are mostly discussing things from a common base knowledge. Once I go outside of this forum, most people i talk to don't care at all, have no interest, and a lot of these 'brand' name schools, have no brand outside of the post-MBA recruitment industries.

Also of mention is probably the fact that the university name might often times ring a bell but not the actual B-school name.

I am sure many people out there know UCLA but how many know Anderson is its MBA program? Same with Duke...how many actually know "Fuqua"? For these schools the University's brand is better known...

On similar lines..think about how people would remember..H/S/W/K
Wharton is a bigger name in the MBA world than...U Penn
Kellogg is a bigger name than is Northwestern

I think you'd see where I am going with this...

At the end of the day, I also think the brand-value for any school is relative to its location.
Where I grew up (India), IIM grads are considered to be best of the breed and draw probably the best salaries for that geography. The IIM brand can do wonders back there and may be parts of SEA. But here....?

The same would hold good for all geographies with local schools enjoying a distinct advantage over the others.
True global brands...i'd think, are just a handful.

All that said...each of the Elite schools is an excellent choice one cannot go wrong with. But it certainly will help to understand and accept that not many schools enjoy the global recognition that one would want them to...

My two cents...discussions are welcome...

Up until a couple of years ago, it was branded as the Anderson Graduate School of Management and not associated with UCLA. So in our case, the problem is actually the opposite direction then how you laid it out.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
kryzak wrote:
bewakoof wrote:
socalconsult wrote:

I know what he did last summer :P

I got a stalker
GMAT Club Bot
 1   2