Last visit was: 23 Apr 2024, 10:46 It is currently 23 Apr 2024, 10:46

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 3 [0]
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Send PM
CEO
CEO
Own Kudos [?]: 515 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
I am curious by your mention of an MBA in HR. It is unclear whether an MBA is the best approach to a career in HR unless you are primarily interested in HR consulting.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
I think i can help you out a little bit there Hjort..You see in India, one can pursue an MBA in Human Resources, which is currently the new buzz in the Indian MBA circle..Unlike in the US where if im not mistaken HR is more of a contract basis consulting kinda more MS than MBA degree..

@ Divya..your work ex is slightly on the weaker side but you could be competitive if your other application parts are strong viz GMAT score, strong comm involvement, acads etc..

Personally as one Indian to another..the marketing and hr job scene in the US is a "white man's" job..this is not based on any discrimination or racial behavior, its simply because a native would understand the culture and work ethics behavior and mentality of that country..

I'd also encourage you to actively look at other excellent CA based schools such as CA- davis, irvine etc..

I have no doubts that if you work hard and get good score you will be able to build an excellent application for your MBA..

Best of luck
CEO
CEO
Send PM
[#permalink]
I agree that one can certainly be admitted to a good MBA programs in the US without a stellar academic record. My one concern is about how applicable the coursework might be. Some aspects of HR/Employment are very country specific. Compensation and benefits standards, not to mention employment law, differ greatly across countries. This is not meant to discourage anyone from applying but is something worth keeping in mind.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
[#permalink]
Canis lupus wrote:
Personally as one Indian to another..the marketing and hr job scene in the US is a "white man's" job..this is not based on any discrimination or racial behavior, its simply because a native would understand the culture and work ethics behavior and mentality of that country..

From personal experience, I've observed that there are many Hispanics, African-Americans and Indians (both American-born or otherwise) in HR and Marketing. Ofcourse, this may be skewed by the fact that I work for a corporation located in California, which is a state known to warmly welcome all races and foreign-born workers. Your mileage may vary.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
[#permalink]
I'm speaking purely about people requiring work visa's in the US.. Statistically companies provide work visa's readily for Finance graduates rather than Marketing or HR...

It is fairly obvious by the statement that i made concerns with people who are at a disadvantage when it comes to foreign cultures..People of latin american, african american and Indian origin living/born in America are clearly more aware than would be a student..
Manager
Manager
Send PM
[#permalink]
If you re-read my reply, you will see that I stated that people who are "American born or otherwise" are well represented. If you believe that there are no immigrants in marketing, you don't have your facts straight.

Also by referring to a particular type of job as a "White man's job" you are being politically incorrect and perpetuating a stereotype.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
[#permalink]
And if you re-read my reply you'll know that I didnt say there were no immigrants..i said they were at a disadvantage..therefore i do have my facts straight..

And i mentioned that the "white man's job" was not based on discrimination or racism, so i dont understand where the politically incorrect statement comes from..its simply the truth whether one admits it or not..

Go to a school's website with the exception of the top 3-4 marketing majors, email the admission/career directors and ask them explicitly.

I have already done this and apart from selling their school to me they have explicitly told me that this is a realistic situation there..
Manager
Manager
Send PM
[#permalink]
You obviously have a very black-and-white view of the world. I'm assuming that you are pretty young. Don't base your understanding of the world on what people tell you, base it on your first-hand experiences.

Good luck to you in your admissions. I hope you achieve your goals.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
[#permalink]
Thank you very much..good luck with your apps too..and congrats on your most excellent gmat score
CEO
CEO
Send PM
[#permalink]
It is somewhat difficult to tell which comments here were meant to be sincere and which were meant to be sarcastic. I think most objective observers would agree that all parts of the US, including California, leave something to be desired in the form of racial/ethnic equality. If one has doubts about this, I invite that person to see for herself in places like Oakland, Watts, Richmond (CA), and the fields of the Central Valley.

There also seems to be some confusion about the distinction between between normative and positive assertions. The assertion that rascism or sexism exists is a positive (i.e. factual) one, that should be subjected to evidentiary review. However, it should not be confounded with a normative claim that rascism or sexism is correct or should persist. Both members in the exchange above make positive assertions about people from different demographic groups being treated differently (one member asserted that female applicants face different admissions standards, another member asserted that people from some nationalities would have a more difficult time being hired in some types of positions).

Marketing is often culturally specific- thus there might be legitimate reasons to favor people from a particular culture if you are attempting to sell products to people in that culture.

Further, many of the most important decisions in our lives are black and white in the sense that they are binary. One is either admitted to HBS or she is not, one is either offered a particular position or she is not, one's proposal of marriage is accepted or it is not, etc.

I strongly agree that first-hand experience is extremely valuable. However, it cannot be everything-otherwise we would never learn from one another. Indeed, the modern academic system is based on the idea of transmitting the knowledge gained by one set of people to another set of people. Further, for those who have a strong interest in intercultural understanding it is crucial to learn from one another even if they cannot share the same first hand experience.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
[#permalink]
Nice read..very insightful..
Manager
Manager
Send PM
[#permalink]
I'm not disputing that racism exists in America. I spent 3 years in Texas including the period immediately following 9/11 when foreigners were being attacked and killed, and I've experienced first hand how ignorance and hatred can combine with disasterous consequences.

While it may be true that decisions in life are often binary, the situations surrounding those decisions are often not so. There are shades of grey in almost every facet of life and several factors cannot even be effectively measured. The concept of a "tie" is familiar to most people -- you either win, lose or tie a game. Reality often falls somewhere in between these states. And to me, life is the most complex game ever created.

In a world that is quickly coming together (read: "The World is Flat." by Thomas L. Friedman), the need to market goods globally is more important than ever before. To say that the profession of marketing is closed to a non-native is to be a bit too harsh. Especially in America, which is the world's melting pot. I say this because I personally know a former VP of Marketing at Sony North America who is not a native and is not caucasian either. While you may dismiss this statistic as an outlier, the fact remains that positive examples of this phenomenon can be observed if you keep an open mind. My objective in pointing this out is to give hope to non-natives who want to enter non-traditional fields.

Also, as important as academic learning is to the development of an individual, there is a reason why actual first-hand experiences are valued more by most people (admission committees included). There is no subsitute for real world experience. If there were, business schools would be full of college grads with no real world experience and 800 on the GMAT.

Originally posted by saturnring11 on 04 Jun 2006, 23:41.
Last edited by saturnring11 on 05 Jun 2006, 10:41, edited 1 time in total.
CEO
CEO
Send PM
[#permalink]
I suppose we've wandered off the topic but this is still an interesting conversation. While there are some differences in the form of our statements, I think that there is considerable common ground.

1) It is certainly possible for people from all nationalities to succeed in the US but there is probably more of a bias toward people from the US (of all cultures) when it comes to "soft" fields like marketing and HR. I am in complete agreement that people should be encouraged to enter non-traditional fields.

2) I think virtually everyone agrees that first hand experience in extremely important. However, MBA programs have long accepted students with varying levels of first hand experience and the emphasis on several years of experience was a trend of the last few decades that appears to be past its zenith, especially at many US schools in the top clusters. As I've stated many times before, I believe that chronological diversity is a useful attribute for MBA programs. Others, of course, are welcome to disagree.

Hjort
Manager
Manager
Send PM
[#permalink]
Hjort wrote:
I suppose we've wandered off the topic but this is still an interesting conversation. While there are some differences in the form of our statements, I think that there is considerable common ground.

1) It is certainly possible for people from all nationalities to succeed in the US but there is probably more of a bias toward people from the US (of all cultures) when it comes to "soft" fields like marketing and HR. I am in complete agreement that people should be encouraged to enter non-traditional fields.

2) I think virtually everyone agrees that first hand experience in extremely important. However, MBA programs have long accepted students with varying levels of first hand experience and the emphasis on several years of experience was a trend of the last few decades that appears to be past its zenith, especially at many US schools in the top clusters. As I've stated many times before, I believe that chronological diversity is a useful attribute for MBA programs. Others, of course, are welcome to disagree.

Hjort

1) I agree with you. Every country favors providing opportunities to its citizens first. America is no different and rightly so. That being said, if you are smart enough to get into a top 10 business school or good at networking with people, no career is off limits. Admittedly, networking is a "soft" skill -- but can it be acquired.

2) Maintaining a diverse class is the goal of every B-school admissions committee. I agree that chronological diversity is as important as any other type of diversity. With business schools producing diverse MBA graduates, how long will it take corporate America to also hire a diverse mix of employees? I hope the coming years will prove that the world is indeed flat and that opportunity is equally distributed.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
GMAT preparation [#permalink]
Well friend I am planning to take a prep course for GMAT but not sure where to take it. I know there are KPLAN, Manhattan GMAT & Princeton Review in the Boston area. If you took GMAT prep class in any of the above or other schools I would appreciate your feedback (maybe pros & cons.) and personal experience. Thank you!

---------------------
Arizona Payroll Company
Intern
Intern
Send PM
[#permalink]
Divya,

Are you absolutely sure you want to do an MBA?
GMAT Club Bot
[#permalink]