Last visit was: 23 Apr 2024, 13:52 It is currently 23 Apr 2024, 13:52

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 1472 [176]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
Manhattan Prep Instructor
Own Kudos [?]: 7773 [209]
Given Kudos: 55
GMAT 2: 780  Q50  V50
Send PM
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 42102 [75]
Given Kudos: 422
WE:Education (Education)
Send PM
General Discussion
CEO
CEO
Own Kudos [?]: 1537 [10]
Send PM
Re: Leaching, the recovery of copper from the drainage water of mines, as [#permalink]
Kudos
Bookmarks
C it is
A and B miss verb to make first half a clause
D) "that was as early as" is not english :)
E) misplaced modifier problem. Is it the "mineral extraction" or the "method which is "well-established"?

C) has correct verb-tense agreement and makes "well-established" adjective of proper noun "method"
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 769 [3]
Send PM
Re: Leaching, the recovery of copper from the drainage water of mines, as [#permalink]
Kudos
Bookmarks
A. as a method of the extraction of minerals, it was well established
"it" is wrong
B. as a method of the extraction of minerals well established
missing a verb
C. was a well-established method of mineral extraction
sounds good
D. was a well-established method of extracting mineral that was
Sounds like the mineral was as early as 18 century
E. had been a method of mineral extraction, well established
The comma before "well" is wrong.

I would choose (C) for this one.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 17 [3]
Given Kudos: 219
Concentration: Strategy, Technology
GMAT 1: 680 Q48 V35
Send PM
Kudos
12345678 wrote:
Leaching, the recovery of copper from the drainage water of mines, as a method of the extraction of minerals, it was well established as early as the eighteenth century, but until about 25 years ago miners did not realize that bacteria take an active part in the process.

A. as a method of the extraction of minerals, it was well established
B. as a method of the extraction of minerals well established
C. was a well-established method of mineral extraction
D. was a well-established method of extracting mineral that was
E. had been a method of mineral extraction, well established

Refer the below site to understand the usage of 'had been':

https://www.englishpage.com/verbpage/pas ... nuous.html

IMO:

When we use had been in this sentence it would mean L is a method established in the past and not in use anymore. But the sentence is not trying to make that meaning.

Thanks,
A :)
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Affiliations: CrackVerbal
Own Kudos [?]: 7624 [8]
Given Kudos: 215
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
Top Contributor
Option A - Incorrect.

Remove the modifier in the middle - "the recovery of copper from the drainage of mines".

We get the sentence -

"Leaching, as a method of the extraction of minerals, it was well established ..." - Incorrect.

this is like saying "John, he went to the movies". the subject "leaching" is repeated again as "it". Hence, redundant.

Option B - Incorrect.
Remove the modifier in the middle - "the recovery of copper from the drainage of mines".

"Leaching as a method of the extraction of minerals well established as early as 18th century, but until about 25 years ago miners did not realize that bacteria take an active part in the process."

Note that "but" requires parallelism. the right hand side "miners did not realize ..." is a complete clause.
However, the left hand side "leaching as a method ..." is not.

Option C - Correct answer.

Option D - Incorrect.
"Leaching was a well-established method of extracting mineral that was as early as the eighteenth century" --->
"method that was early as 18th century" - Incorrect. "Method" cannot be as early as 18th century. (we are comparing "method" to "18th century"). We need to say that the method was discovered as early as 18th century.
(Option C says "leaching was well-established as early as 18th century").

Option E - incorrect.
"Leaching had been a method of mineral extraction" - Usage of "had been" is not required.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 0 [0]
Given Kudos: 3
Send PM
please tell me why we eliminated a and b and e and why we went with was form?
Manager
Manager
Affiliations: NA
Own Kudos [?]: 114 [1]
Given Kudos: 59
GMAT 1: 590 Q50 V21
GMAT 2: 600 Q48 V25
GMAT 3: 730 Q51 V37
GPA: 3.5
Send PM
Kudos
n22 wrote:
please tell me why we eliminated a and b and e and why we went with was form?

Leaching, the recovery of copper from the drainage water of mines, as a method of the extraction of minerals, it was well established as early as the eighteenth century, but until about 25 years ago miners did not realize that bacteria take an active part in the process.

(A) as a method of the extraction of minerals, it was well established
verb is missing , therefore Incorrect

(B) as a method of the extraction of minerals well established
verb is missing , therefore Incorrect

(C) was a well-established method of mineral extraction
No error

(D) was a well-established method of extracting mineral that was
Illogical meaning . that is modifying mineral.

(E) had been a method of mineral extraction, well established
what is well established is modifying here ( noun modifier should be placed as close as possible to noun it is modifying) . There is no need to use past perfect as the temporal relationship is explicitly indicated and no separate emphasis is required.
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 3378 [15]
Given Kudos: 877
Concentration: Marketing, International Business
Schools: HBS '19
GMAT 1: 770 Q51 V44
GPA: 4
WE:Education (Education)
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
Here is the sentence structure of this sentence:
Clause 1: Leaching, the recovery of copper from the drainage water of mines, as a method of the extraction of minerals,
Clause 2: it was well established as early as the eighteenth century,
Clause 3: but until about 25 years ago miners did not realize
Clause 4: that bacteria took an active part in the process.

Clause 1 does not have any verb. The subject “leaching” does not have any verb. Thus this sentence is a fragment. In addition, clause 2 is not connected appropriately to clause 1. It should be connected using a ; or ,FANBOYS.

Process of Elimination :-

Choice A - 'leaching and it' makes it an error of double subjecting with a single verb
Choice B – Fragment Error: This choice changes clause 2 into a modifier. But it does not address the absence of verb for the subject “leaching”.
Choice C – No errors.
Choice D – Modifier error: The sentence implies that well-established method of mineral extraction was as early as 18th century. This is non-sensical – saying that a method was as early as 18th century. It would have made sense if this said that the method existed as early as 18th century. This error may be construed as SV-Make sense error – the subject – “well established method” does not make sense with the verb – “was”.
Choice E – Verb error: This choice states uses past perfect tense for the verb – had been. This changes the intended meaning of the sentence. This sentence now implies that leaching is no longer a method of mineral extraction. In the light of this information, what follows does not make sense. Since this is no longer a method of mineral extraction, the fact miners realized its working 25 years back becomes invalid. Thus, because this sentences uses past perfect tense as shown, it distorts the intended meaning of the sentence.
Thus, the correct answer is Choice C.
Verbal Forum Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 8805 [1]
Given Kudos: 171
Concentration: General Management, Strategy
GPA: 3.2
WE:Information Technology (Consulting)
Send PM