Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 00:15 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 00:15

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 12 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 520 [0]
Schools:Darden
 Q50  V51
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Send PM
SVP
SVP
 Q50  V51
Send PM
[#permalink]
Actually, if you are going to quote sources, you should cite them. Saying "I read somewhere" or "I heard somewhere" means nothing; but what's really silly is that the data you refer to doesn't even address the question at hand.

I well aware of how an adaptive test works. I also intensely familiar with how test-day attitude can substantially swing a score. There have been countless reports from people who were overly anxious during the first 15 minutes of a section, resulting in wasted minutes and inability to timely finish the section. The GMAT will indeed narrow down a score range within the first 10-15 questions of a section, but it also punishes people who do not finish all the questions. Furthermore, many people have reported that anxiety has multiplied as early difficulties forced them to think about silly mistakes or work more quickly. Confidence can have the opposite effect, allowing a test-taker to comprehend questions more quickly and answer decisively.

So, before you try applying a generalization that, frankly, doesn't apply; and before you make more vague references to data that you "read somewhere", try to understand the nature of how people react to exams like this. Adaptive tests are effective at quickly ascertaining a test-takers score range, but they aren't magic 8-balls that mystically pinpoint the taker's score, in spite of test-day attitude and performance.
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 1682 [0]
Given Kudos: 210
Send PM
[#permalink]
No offense mate, but this piece of information is utter garbage,

Its a great idea to kill yourself by taking 1 test every day, hell why stop there, why not try taking 2 Gmat tests in a row, or try doing a test with no sleep in the night before.

Rest and recovery time are just as important to improving mental stamina as training with a full 4 hour test is. Mental fatigue is very real and its very difficult to measure. But in a mental marathon, it plays a key role in determining the end result.

Sorry I dont mean to sound as if I am having a go at you, but I am a bit passionate about the mental preparation aspect.

financeguy wrote:
Agree about SC but according to GMAC, things like your mood on a particular day or other factors don't have any role in your final score. If you take a GMAT test every day for 7 consecutive days, your score should be the same or within a close range. The range can't be as wide as 680-770.

Thanks
Manager
Manager
Send PM
[#permalink]
pelihu wrote:

The GMAT will indeed narrow down a score range within the first 10-15 questions of a section, but it also punishes people who do not finish all the questions.

That's a myth and a general mis-conception which people have but it doesn't mean that it's true.

Don't go for any other sources but just read the official guide and instead of believing people, I would rather believe GMAC.

I would repeat: Unless you didn't have any sleep at all a night before the test or got fired from your job the same morning, excuses that I didn't have a good breakfast or wasn't feeling really well don't mean anything. Period.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
[#permalink]
bsd_lover wrote:
No offense mate, but this piece of information is utter garbage,

Its a great idea to kill yourself by taking 1 test every day, hell why stop there, why not try taking 2 Gmat tests in a row, or try doing a test with no sleep in the night before.

Rest and recovery time are just as important to improving mental stamina as training with a full 4 hour test is. Mental fatigue is very real and its very difficult to measure. But in a mental marathon, it plays a key role in determining the end result.

Sorry I dont mean to sound as if I am having a go at you, but I am a bit passionate about the mental preparation aspect.

I wouldn't mind because you seem to have the missed the boat altogether and picking up on something which was used to illustrate a different point :)
SVP
SVP
 Q50  V51
Send PM
[#permalink]
financeguy wrote:
pelihu wrote:

The GMAT will indeed narrow down a score range within the first 10-15 questions of a section, but it also punishes people who do not finish all the questions.

That's a myth and a general mis-conception which people have but it doesn't mean that it's true.

Don't go for any other sources but just read the official guide and instead of believing people, I would rather believe GMAC.

I would repeat: Unless you didn't have any sleep at all a night before the test or got fired from your job the same morning, excuses that I didn't have a good breakfast or wasn't feeling really well don't mean anything. Period.

Where did you learn to reason, K-Mart? I'll repeat what I said in my last message, identify where GMAC says what you claim they say. You will not because they do not. If the CAT is is as effective as you claim, then people could take the exame over and over, day after day after day, and they would get the exact same score. Obviously that is not the case. People perform differently from day to day and scores vary from exam to exam.

You seem to believe that GMAC has written a test that will provide some magical "correct" score no matter what the conditions. Stop and use your brain for a second - this is an asinine idea. GMAC is not the Wizard of Oz in this or any other universe. They have not magically designed a test that isolates and ignores things like anxiety, fatigue or even silly mistakes. Arguing otherwise is not just silly, its moronic.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
[#permalink]
pelihu wrote:
financeguy wrote:
pelihu wrote:

Where did you learn to reason, K-Mart? I'll repeat what I said in my last message, identify where GMAC says what you claim they say. You will not because they do not. If the CAT is is as effective as you claim, then people could take the exame over and over, day after day after day, and they would get the exact same score. Obviously that is not the case. People perform differently from day to day and scores vary from exam to exam.

You seem to believe that GMAC has written a test that will provide some magical "correct" score no matter what the conditions. Stop and use your brain for a second - this is an asinine idea. GMAC is not the Wizard of Oz in this or any other universe. They have not magically designed a test that isolates and ignores things like anxiety, fatigue or even silly mistakes. Arguing otherwise is not just silly, its moronic.

Well we seem to subscribe to different schools of reasoning, I guess :)

If someone has studied logic they would know about a famous (rather infamous) logical fallacy when someone tries to attack the other person rather than attacking the argument.

Now coming back to your weak reasoning, anxiety and silly mistakes are part of your personality and that's what is being partially tested in GMAT so I wouldn't believe that one person will be anxious one day and then perfectly alright the next day or the next week. These are personality traits which are improved over a long period of time and it can be argued that one person taking the test in a short interval of time will produce similar results. So if you try to open you mind rather than attacking me personally, it's not a hard to crack concept. Look at many examples in this forum where people repeated the test within a month or so and got the same score.

Hope I haven't overkilled your seemingly over inflated ego :)

Thanks
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 251 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
Guys :)... Play it fair or I should lock this thread.... that would be finally a lost here :)

Thanks for your understanding :)

Side note and to give an image.... I believe people have well read nice arguements from both the sides of the same river... but we know all that both sides of the river will always remain where they are (in other words... no one will convice the other one here ;))
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 698 [0]
Given Kudos: 14
Concentration: Technology, Entrepreneurship, Digital Media & Entertainment
Schools:UC Berkeley Haas School of Business MBA 2010
 Q51  V41
GPA: 3.9 - undergrad 3.6 - grad-EE
WE 1: Social Gaming
Send PM
[#permalink]
Wow... what have I started? :shock:

Anyway, I can attest to taking 2 tests in one day. By the 2nd verbal section, my brain was literally DEAD... I couldn't even reason my way out of a simple CR or RC passage, when they're normally really simple for me. End result, 680...

I guess the good takeaway from this is that even in my most mentally fatigued state, I got a 680. So a 700+ is hopeful (knock on wood). Right now I just hope I get a 700+... my SC is getting a lot better after 2 more chapters of Manhattan SC! Woohoo! (throw something positive out here in this thread) :-D
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 2918 [0]
Given Kudos: 7
Concentration: Finance, Entrepreneurship
 Q50  V40
Send PM
[#permalink]
OK, I predict kryzak is coming out with 740+ :)

Based on this thread, what do you think?
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 242 [0]
 Q48  V34
Send PM
[#permalink]
kryzak,

Dont think about how much you are going to score and unnecessary pressurize yourself. Just go and enjoy the test. Good results will automatically follow. All the best !
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
 Q51  V41
Send PM
[#permalink]
thanks for the confidence guys!

now that I think about it, my 770 on GMATPrep1 was when I was at my "happiest". Didn't really care about the score, really had "fun" (ok, I'm a masochist) doing the problems and just wanted to see where I landed. After that, it was all about "I need to get this score!"...

as everyone said here, mental state is key. After Sunday, when I take my GMATPrep2, I will just relax and do problems for fun and learning.

You'll see more updates from me before the test, haha! What would I do if I didn't find this site???!!! :P
SVP
SVP
Send PM
[#permalink]
Hey Kryzak,

Just some last minute tips on mental preparation. Have a read of my writeup at :
https://www.gmatclub.com/phpbb/viewtopic.php?t=47351

My methods might not necessarily the best for you, but ensure that you do NOT feel sleepy during the test. That means make sure your sleep cycle is adjusted, and you have had a LOT of sleep the night before. Also dont do the test on an empty stomach.

All common sense, but when the test comes closer, adrenalin takes over and common sense become uncommon.

Once again all the best. Hope to read your success story soon.

cheers.

kryzak wrote:
Wow... what have I started? :shock:

Anyway, I can attest to taking 2 tests in one day. By the 2nd verbal section, my brain was literally DEAD... I couldn't even reason my way out of a simple CR or RC passage, when they're normally really simple for me. End result, 680...

I guess the good takeaway from this is that even in my most mentally fatigued state, I got a 680. So a 700+ is hopeful (knock on wood). Right now I just hope I get a 700+... my SC is getting a lot better after 2 more chapters of Manhattan SC! Woohoo! (throw something positive out here in this thread) :-D
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
 Q51  V41
Send PM
[#permalink]
thank you bsd! I'll follow some of your advice in that post! Will keep everyone updated!
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
 Q51  V41
Send PM
[#permalink]
Alright, took a PowerPrep 2, without AWA, but I did an hour of SC practice just before it (to simulate the energy it takes to do verbal thinking).

I keep on feeling I'm running out of time for Verbal for some reason. Anyway, got a good score, 750, Q49 V44.

I missed 3 problems on Quant (got a Q50 by missing 2 last time), two of which were VERY stupid mistakes. I had 10 minutes or so remaining at the end of the test, so I should spend more time checking my work. Not too worried about Quant right now, just reviewing strategies to do things faster.

Verbal I missed 5, 4 of them SC, and all the SC mistakes were idioms. Still having problems memorizing them, especially when they're in very complicated sentences. Flash cards, flash cards, flash cards!

The only thing I'm worried about is an entire reading passage, 1 CR question, and a few SC questions were the same as OG11, so my scores are probably skewed higher. I don't know why I'm still running out of time on Verbal even with these benefits. This just means I probably deserved a V40 or something.

Alright, everything is up to the GMATPrep2 I'll take on Sunday. After that, no more CATs...
SVP
SVP
Send PM
[#permalink]
Make sure you do the FULL GMATPrep2 buddy. Skipping AWA gives a false sense of confidence sometimes.

kryzak wrote:
Alright, took a PowerPrep 2, without AWA, but I did an hour of SC practice just before it (to simulate the energy it takes to do verbal thinking).

I keep on feeling I'm running out of time for Verbal for some reason. Anyway, got a good score, 750, Q49 V44.

I missed 3 problems on Quant (got a Q50 by missing 2 last time), two of which were VERY stupid mistakes. I had 10 minutes or so remaining at the end of the test, so I should spend more time checking my work. Not too worried about Quant right now, just reviewing strategies to do things faster.

Verbal I missed 5, 4 of them SC, and all the SC mistakes were idioms. Still having problems memorizing them, especially when they're in very complicated sentences. Flash cards, flash cards, flash cards!

The only thing I'm worried about is an entire reading passage, 1 CR question, and a few SC questions were the same as OG11, so my scores are probably skewed higher. I don't know why I'm still running out of time on Verbal even with these benefits. This just means I probably deserved a V40 or something.

Alright, everything is up to the GMATPrep2 I'll take on Sunday. After that, no more CATs...
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
 Q51  V41
Send PM
[#permalink]
you know what? I just had a revelation on why I'm running out of time now in Verbal.

I actually am spending time figuring out SC questions instead of just guessing and giving up! That's why I had more time to do RC and CR and got almost all of those right. Now that I can actually analyze SC questions better and narrow them down to 2 choices, I'm losing the extra time I used to have. Yet my SC score is still not getting better, due to idioms here and there.

I'll see how much I can improve my idioms in the next few days. If not, I might go back to my old style of not spending too much time on SCs and making sure I get most of my RC and CR right. That's how I got V44 the first time.

bsd, I will take the GMATPrep2 with AWA on Sunday, will report back!

Thanks!
GMAT Club Bot
[#permalink]
   1   2