Last visit was: 23 Apr 2024, 14:11 It is currently 23 Apr 2024, 14:11

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 52 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 7 [0]
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Send PM
Director
Director
Send PM
[#permalink]
The renting vs buying option works in favor of buying in Durham/RTP. It isn't much of a headache to buy a house. I would rather pay a little interest and get tax deductions than loose rent money.

batchgmat wrote:
Just curious why you would want to buy a house if you go to Duke? Would you stay there after your two years are up? Also, you would have to deal with the headaches a typical house owner goes through combined with MBA stress...
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 27 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
He's probably talking about the housing market in the 2 areas. LA is really expensive so buying a home is not cheap.

I would go to UCLA.
Director
Director
Send PM
[#permalink]
Either coast works for me. No real preferences...

naturallight wrote:
I consider Duke to be more for general mgmt and UCLA to be more for finance.

But I think it really comes down to where you want to live when you're done with an MBA--east coast or west coast?
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
I think your personal post MBA goals are the most important thing in making this decision. What do you want to do? or what three things do you think you might do?
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 30 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
Another Duke/UCLA Applicant -- I am Jealous at the options u have :evil:

According to me, both the schools are very similar or lets say Ranked in the same cluser(Hjort),and strong General Management Programs...

But after talking to both the students/alumni...I get a GUT feeling that i will be more happy in Duke, may be i am sold on the "team fuqua" concept....which i didnt felt during my interaction with Anderson folks...may be the so called "FIT" or whatever

I prefer to study in Durham vs LA , as a student with family...my budget is very restricted .......

so my vote goes for "Duke"

Cheers
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
lhotseface, you know how i feel about this question :-D

i honestly don't know much about Fuqua....

i have spoken with a few current students at Anderson and they seem to absolutely love it. classes are only mon-thurs, and they have a solid eship rep as you mentioned. seems like the culture there is truly work hard & play hard. i get the impression that you are truly an entrepreneur at heart, and we know that LA has a solid balance of major corporations and small-midsize business opportunities.

i wish Anderson would just give us some scholarships!

i'm still waiting on Darden R2, and i would only consider going to Darden over anderson if a scholarship is offerred.
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 208 [0]
Send PM
My take [#permalink]
I have not applied to any of them so my research is quite restricted. However, I'd go with Duke - Fuqua based mostly on personal preferences(I know, probably I'm not being so helpful).

To expand:

1) East Coast vs. West Coast (personal preference).
2) Smaller community vs. LA (haven't been there but typically big cities tend to conspire against "team building" as people scatter after classes instead of sharing lives in campuses).
3) The whole "Team Fuqua" collaborative attitude.
4) Reasonable living expenses at Duke (might be able to afford a beer now and then) vs. mortgage the house to pay for a tiny dorm room at UCLA.
5) LA's smog, traffic and other undesirabilities.

Hope it helps. L.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Affiliations: HHonors Diamond, BGS Honor Society
Own Kudos [?]: 3083 [0]
Given Kudos: 7
Schools: Chicago (Booth) - Class of 2009
GMAT 1: 730 Q45 V45
WE:Business Development (Consumer Products)
Send PM
[#permalink]
I would probably pick Duke for no particularly great reason other than the cost of living @ UCLA would scare me.
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 593 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
lhotseface wrote:
The renting vs buying option works in favor of buying in Durham/RTP. It isn't much of a headache to buy a house. I would rather pay a little interest and get tax deductions than loose rent money.

batchgmat wrote:
Just curious why you would want to buy a house if you go to Duke? Would you stay there after your two years are up? Also, you would have to deal with the headaches a typical house owner goes through combined with MBA stress...

Also if you buy a house..... and Duke has a in state tution... you qualify for that in your second year.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 3 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
i can give you a perspective of LA since I live here and am about 10 min from Westwood.

Basically what everyone says about rent is true. If you're planning to live right in Westwood, expect 2 bedroom apts to run in the 2200-2800 range. If you don't mind living 10-15 min away prices can drop a little bit. Traffic is bad, very bad. the 405 /10 intersection just plain sucks and wilshire blvd in westwood can be tough to get used to.

Now some pros- obviously the girls are hot out here. Fast paced life (if you like that ) and great great restaurants from all varieties as well as many local bars/clubs to venture out to. Weather is pretty much one of the best in the US. Moderate temps throughout the year, but you can get to snow during winter in as little as 2 hours or head to the beach the same day.

hope this helps...
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 233 [0]
Given Kudos: 2
Concentration: Social Enterprise
Schools:The Duke MBA, Class of 2009
Send PM
[#permalink]
ugh, I hate LA. HATE IT.

I don't know much about Anderson, I really liked Duke when I was there last week.
Director
Director
Send PM
[#permalink]
Duke is private so sadly they have no concept of in-state vs out-state. Private universities are generally more costly but have stellar facilities.

jaynayak wrote:
lhotseface wrote:

batchgmat wrote:

Also if you buy a house..... and Duke has a in state tution... you qualify for that in your second year.
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 520 [0]
Schools:Darden
 Q50  V51
Send PM
[#permalink]
That's a tough one. I actually believe the greatest difference between these two schools is their location. UCLA is the clear choice if you plan to work in California, while Duke would be the choice if you are targeting the mid-Atlantic. Since you say that you don't care whether you end up on the East Coast or West Coast, it probably just comes down to personal preference.

In-state tuition is a great bonus, but cost should really be one of the last things that you consider. Of course, with two schools like these which are comparably strong, it might just come down to price.
GMAT Club Bot
[#permalink]