Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 11:51 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 11:51

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 54 [49]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
CEO
CEO
Own Kudos [?]: 1649 [16]
Given Kudos: 781
Send PM
General Discussion
CIO
CIO
Own Kudos [?]: 171 [4]
Send PM
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 108 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
ian7777 wrote:
I personally do not think the permutations and combinations formulas are necessary to do well on the test, and I think seeing them can be very scary and daunting.

While I acknowledge that there are an infinate number of variations on how these questions could be asked, I think for the most part the test is not testing our ability to use the formulas but rather our ability to understand what's going on behind them.

Therefore, they ask questions that the formulas won't work with, but logic will.

For example: How many ways can five people sit in a five person car if only 2 can drive?

There's no formula for that - it's just 2x4x3x2x1.

So in my opinion (and this is how I teach my students) it's more important to learn why that works and how to structure the numbers, and why to divide by whatever you need to divide by in a combinations question.

Then there's nothing to fear.

Ian7777, can you pls explain how the answer is 2 x4x3x2x1? Thanks
CIO
CIO
Own Kudos [?]: 171 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
Folaa3 wrote:
ian7777 wrote:
I personally do not think the permutations and combinations formulas are necessary to do well on the test, and I think seeing them can be very scary and daunting.

While I acknowledge that there are an infinate number of variations on how these questions could be asked, I think for the most part the test is not testing our ability to use the formulas but rather our ability to understand what's going on behind them.

Therefore, they ask questions that the formulas won't work with, but logic will.

For example: How many ways can five people sit in a five person car if only 2 can drive?

There's no formula for that - it's just 2x4x3x2x1.

So in my opinion (and this is how I teach my students) it's more important to learn why that works and how to structure the numbers, and why to divide by whatever you need to divide by in a combinations question.

Then there's nothing to fear.

Ian7777, can you pls explain how the answer is 2 x4x3x2x1? Thanks

Yes. There are 5 seats in the car. You need only ask yourself logically how many options there are for each seat. The first seat is the drivers seat, so there are only 2 who can sit there. Once one person sits down, however, the remaining 4 are available for the second seat. Then there are 3, and then 2, and then 1. We just multiply that all together for the answer.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
I dont mean to be presumptuous here but there is a formula for that. Yes it needs to be developed from logic definitely. WHat i felt the formula in this case is

out of n r are of one type and n-r are the other type. while r can replace n-r but n-r cannot replace r .

Now it reamins to be seen how mnay places the kind "r" alone needs to occupy. That will help to formulate. Lets call it k ( r>k) . Then the places for n-r objects of one kind and r objects of the other kind can be arranged as

[ n-r -(r-k) ] ! * r!
to test ,n = 5 r =2 k=1
n-r -(r-k) = 4

4! is the number of ways the passengers can be seated. there are 2 drivers , therefore the number of ways is 4!*2!

It can b chekced with similar arrngements . seems to work with circular permutations too.

Ok before i ruffle anyone completely . I did this purely for academic reasons. I know it is lengthy and screwy.. but yeah if i can develop a habit of finding patterns early, i may not have to actually write down the formula , but can bring out the logic really fast. Once again not trying to show off!!!!
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 13 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
ok so say you dont want to use the formulas can u give an example of when something might be a permutation rather than a combination and the logic for figuring that out vs. the logic for figuring out a combination?
CIO
CIO
Send PM
[#permalink]
Rupstar wrote:
ok so say you dont want to use the formulas can u give an example of when something might be a permutation rather than a combination and the logic for figuring that out vs. the logic for figuring out a combination?

yes. spend some time with the concepts of permutations and combinations and learn why one is different from the other. You'll see that combinations are just permutations with an extra division. So go back further and learn why permutations work. They work because when we multiply all the options together, simply, we get the total number of outcomes. So be logical and simply figure out what the options are for each piece of the arrangement, and you'll have the answer. If the order doesn't matter, just divide that answer by the number of spaces factorial. If you're not sure why, learn why. It's because you're canceling out all the repeated arrangements and are just left with the distinct groups.

When you know why these things work, you have power, knowledge, and an edge over this test. When you just learn formulae, you have the potential to make a really big mistake.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
yep, probably the formulas are not necessary after all but knowing how to solve perm and comb problems is needed.

I commit the mistake of thinking that I was not going to need it to get 600+; however, on test day the fifth question was about perm and comb :shock:
CIO
CIO
Send PM
[#permalink]
Imagine you order a pizza, and you want a three topping pizza. You will have pepperoni, mushrooms, and onions. The waiter asks you, "which topping do you want on your pizza first?"

What would you answer? Would you ever expect this question? No. Because the order of the toppings wouldn't matter. Your pizza will have three toppings, end of story.

Now, if you did want to know how many ways you could put those three toppings on your pizza, you could figure it out with permutations: 3 x 2 x 1 = 6. But at the end of the day, they're all the same, so you don't count them.

What would be different? Well, a different pizza, that's what: sausage, pinapple, and onion would be a different pizza. Again, you wouldn't care about the order, but it would be different.

That's the difference between permutations and combinations. In permutations, we count all the orderings of every different group. In that case, the two pizza examples would be 12 different permutations. But in combos, we don't care about the order, so we neutralize the copies. Take that 12 permutations from above, divide by the number of copies of each group, and that's combos, in this case: 2.

So combinations is a permutations with a tax on it. You manipulate a permutation question to get a combinations answer. And you do it by dividing by the number of spaces in the permutation, factorial.

And that's how it goes. Look for examples of each on the web - the common divisor between all combos is that we won't care about the order.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 277 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
Permutation
Definition: An arrangement of objects whose order is important.
Example: Permutation of objects A B C results
ABC, ACB, BAC, ACA, CAB, CBA
There are 6 orders, or 6 permutations in total

Factorial:
Example: The total permutations on ABC is
3!=3 X 2 X 1=6
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 277 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
Example 2: To find all permutations on A B C C
Answer: ABCC, ACBC, ACCB,
BACC, BCAC, BCCA,
CABC, CBAC, CBCA,
CACB, CCAB, CCBA

There are 12 orders, or 12 permutations in total.

P( permutation of n objects with n1 identical ones)
= n!/ n1!
Example 2 of ABCC:
n = 4; (A,B,C,C)
n1= 2; (C,C)
n!/ n1! = 4! / 2! = (4 x 3 x 2 x 1)/ (2 x 1) = 12
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 18 [3]
Send PM
[#permalink]