Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 14:59 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 14:59

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Difficulty: 505-555 Levelx   Pronounsx                  
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 1635 [181]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 63658 [61]
Given Kudos: 1773
GMAT 1: 780 Q51 V46
GMAT 2: 800 Q51 V51
GRE 1: Q170 V170

GRE 2: Q170 V170
Send PM
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 4468 [15]
Given Kudos: 221
Concentration: Finance, Economics
GMAT 1: 720 Q49 V39
GPA: 3.75
Send PM
General Discussion
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 1737 [5]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Re: Presenters at the seminar, one who is blind, will demonstrate adaptive [#permalink]
Kudos
Bookmarks
pi10t wrote:
Presenters at the seminar, one who is blind, will demonstrate adaptive equipment that allows visually impaired people to use computers.

(A) one who
(B) one of them who
(C) and one of them who
(D) one of whom
(E) one of which

D

Requires object pronoun "whom" not the subject pronoun who.

one of which is just wrong, which cannot refer to people.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 801 [2]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
Re: Presenters at the seminar, one who is blind, will demonstrate adaptive [#permalink]
Kudos
Bookmarks
IMO “one who is blind” is like saying there is only one blind person out of the total presenters and “one of whom is blind” is like saying that there could be more than one blind person in the group.

This sentence may not require pin pointing a blind person out of all total presenters to demonstrate adaptive equipment that allows visually impaired people to use computers. Any blind person would do. Hence D could be the correct choice.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 196 [4]
Given Kudos: 13
Concentration: General Management, Finance
GMAT 1: 680 Q50 V32
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
Presenters at the seminar, one who is blind, will demonstrate adaptive equipment that allows visually impaired people to use computers.

(A) one who
(B) one of them who
(C) and one of them who
(D) one of whom
(E) one of which

Quick test for who and whom is to ask what does the who or whom refer to? It refers to the presenters which is plural. So, we would normally use "them" to refer to the presenters. Thus we can straight away rule out A, B and C. E is absurd because "which" is used to refer to objects/animals (?).
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 10 [0]
Given Kudos: 52
GPA: 3.65
Send PM
pi10t wrote:

(A) one who
(B) one of them who
(C) and one of them who
(D) one of whom
(E) one of which

I was confused between B and D.... I opted B...but can't understand my mistake,,
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [2]
Given Kudos: 11
Send PM
Bookmarks
pi10t wrote:

(A) one who
(B) one of them who
(C) and one of them who
(D) one of whom
(E) one of which

I want verification of my analysis .I approcached the sentence as under :

1. Understood the meaning that among the presenters , there is one person who is blind and he will demonstrate..
2.Broke the sentence into clauses:

C1:Presenters at the seminar, one
C2:who is blind,
C1 (contd):will demonstrate adaptive equipment
C3: that allows visually impaired people to use computers.

2. Clause 1 doest not make one will demonstrate .....

3. Applied rule that after preposition only object pronoun whom can come , so eliminated B, C.
4.Applied rule which can refer only inanimate objects.Hence eliminated ans E

4. Arrived at answer D.

Doubt:

1. Can which refer to animals ?/ As per my current understanding that and which can only refer to inanimate objects.
Hence, they cannot refer to animals.
2.Who / Whom can refer to only human being ? Can they refer to animals ?As per my current understanding who and whom can refer to both animals and human beings.
3.Is one 'a pronoun?
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 106 [7]
Given Kudos: 916
Concentration: Strategy, Finance
GMAT 1: 640 Q44 V34
GMAT 2: 700 Q42 V44
GMAT 3: 680 Q44 V39
GMAT 4: 740 Q49 V41
GPA: 3.7
WE:Project Management (Energy and Utilities)
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
If you can replace it with they -> WHO
If you can replace it with them -> WHOM

... The kind of rules you ca find in the pill ...
EMPOWERgmat Instructor
Own Kudos [?]: 14673 [3]
Given Kudos: 766
Send PM
Presenters at the seminar, one who is blind, will demonstrate adaptive [#permalink]
Kudos
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
Hi pi10t,

Thank you for your question. This is classic case of a "who vs. whom" sentence, so let's look at each answer and if they are conveying the proper meaning:

(A) one who
By using "who," it now refers back to the word "seminar" and not to the presenters. The seminar can't be blind, so this is INCORRECT.

(B) one of them who
Again, by using "who," it refers back to the seminar being blind. It also adds in a vague pronoun "them" with no clear antecedent. Therefore, this one is also INCORRECT.

(C) and one of them who
This is the same answer as B, but with the word "and" added in. That doesn't fix the problems with who/whom or the vague pronoun "them," so it's INCORRECT.

(D) one of whom
This is the CORRECT answer because by using "whom," it's clear the phrase is referring back to one of the presenters being blind, not one of the seminars.

(E) one of which
This is INCORRECT because in the GMAT, one should never use "which" to refer to people - only animals or objects.

Originally posted by EMPOWERgmatVerbal on 31 Jan 2018, 16:52.
Last edited by EMPOWERgmatVerbal on 12 Oct 2020, 15:18, edited 1 time in total.
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 1321 [0]
Given Kudos: 143
GMAT 1: 670 Q46 V36
GMAT 2: 690 Q47 V38
GMAT 3: 690 Q48 V37
GMAT 4: 710 Q49 V38 (Online)
Send PM
pi10t wrote:

(A) one who
(B) one of them who
(C) and one of them who
(D) one of whom
(E) one of which

Marcab wrote:

Hii Maryam.
In B, "who" is modifying "them" but since the helping verb after "who" is "is", we need a singular noun. Hence B is incorrect. Also there is one more mistake in B. Whenever you come across such sentences such as "one of X(Always Plural) who/that" always remember that verb to be followed has to be PLURAL.
In short:
One of X(Always Plural) who/that Y(Always Plural verb)
BUT
One of X(Always Plural) (Always Singular Verb)

Another major mistake in the question. "One of whom" and other options are incorrectly modifying "Seminar". This is a weird question. If it were "At the seminar the presenters, one of whom is blind, will bla bla bla", then it would have been right.
Hope that helps.
-s

VeritasKarishma GMATNinja

Could you please explain why D is correct and B is wrong? I believe we should use "who" instead of "whom" since that pronoun is being used to modify the subject and not the object. Marcab 's explanation seems to make sense why B might be wrong but D seems to be wrong too because it uses "whom".
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 26 [0]
Given Kudos: 421
GMAT 1: 630 Q47 V29
GMAT 2: 650 Q48 V31
GMAT 3: 570 Q47 V23
GMAT 4: 620 Q49 V24
WE:Operations (Energy and Utilities)
Send PM
GMATNinja wrote:
dabaobao wrote:
pi10t wrote:

(A) one who
(B) one of them who
(C) and one of them who
(D) one of whom
(E) one of which

Marcab wrote:

Hii Maryam.
In B, "who" is modifying "them" but since the helping verb after "who" is "is", we need a singular noun. Hence B is incorrect. Also there is one more mistake in B. Whenever you come across such sentences such as "one of X(Always Plural) who/that" always remember that verb to be followed has to be PLURAL.
In short:
One of X(Always Plural) who/that Y(Always Plural verb)
BUT
One of X(Always Plural) (Always Singular Verb)

Another major mistake in the question. "One of whom" and other options are incorrectly modifying "Seminar". This is a weird question. If it were "At the seminar the presenters, one of whom is blind, will bla bla bla", then it would have been right.
Hope that helps.
-s

VeritasKarishma GMATNinja

Could you please explain why D is correct and B is wrong? I believe we should use "who" instead of "whom" since that pronoun is being used to modify the subject and not the object. Marcab 's explanation seems to make sense why B might be wrong but D seems to be wrong too because it uses "whom".

The question of whether to use "who" or "whom" isn't determined by what noun the pronoun refers to, but rather by the grammatical role the pronoun plays.

If the word is a subject (the "doer" of an action), we use "who." If the word is an object (the recipient of an action) we use "whom." For example, "My wife, who is extremely kind and generous, volunteers every Monday at a homeless shelter." Here, "who" is the subject of the verb "is."

But I could also write, "My wife, to whom I send flowers every day, is a wonderful person." In that last sentence, my wife is the object of the preposition, so she "receives" the action (sending flowers) -- and as a result, we'd need to use "whom" and not "who".

In (D) "whom" is the object of the preposition "of," so it's correct. In (B) "one of them who" is just plain bad. Why would we use back-to-back pronouns? Is "who" referring to "them?" To "one"? It's unnecessarily clunky and confusing.

I hope that helps!

Hi GMATNinja I am a big fan of your verbal analysis response, and you are doing a great service for GMAT Club members.
I would like to ask one particular doubt that is simple but yet to settle down for me.
In the above example you quote "My wife, who is extremely kind and generous, volunteers every Monday at a homeless shelter." Here, "who" serves as subject within the non-essential clause and so it is followed by verb "is".
In the 2nd example that you quote "My wife, to whom I send flowers every day, is a wonderful person." , here in non-essential clause "whom" is the object of preposition, but the subject is "I" and the verb is "send".
Whereas in the OA, i.e., D "one of whom" is blind; what is the subject for which "whom" is required to be used as receiver of the action. Cant we consider the non-essential clause with a subject pronoun such as - "one who is blind".
I know you are a very busy person, but I hope you reply me as early as possible as next week I am having my exam.
Thank You.
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 63658 [10]
Given Kudos: 1773
GMAT 1: 780 Q51 V46
GMAT 2: 800 Q51 V51
GRE 1: Q170 V170

GRE 2: Q170 V170
Send PM
Kudos