Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 07:39 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 07:39

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 3046 [122]
Given Kudos: 157
Concentration: Strategy, General Management
GMAT 1: 680 Q48 V34
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 1485 [46]
Given Kudos: 9
 Q50  V40
Send PM
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 42103 [35]
Given Kudos: 422
WE:Education (Education)
Send PM
General Discussion
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 35 [10]
Given Kudos: 4
Send PM
Re: Biologists believe that they have found one of the substances that tel [#permalink]
Kudos
Bookmarks
"That" is a relative pronoun , so it can only refer to a single subject not a phrase or a clause
here that is refeering to substances not the phrase "one of the sbstances"
hope this helps
Veritas Prep Representative
Own Kudos [?]: 2945 [9]
Given Kudos: 63
Send PM
Re: Biologists believe that they have found [#permalink]
Kudos
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
Nice work on this one, everyone - a few things came into play here:

1) "Both" is an inclusive word, so it should go with "and" - if it were to go with "or", you'd need to use "either". Since both means that you're including two things, you have to link them with "and".

2) The subject of "tell" is "substances" - there are several of them (presumably) that tell genes what to do, and this is one example of that.

3) Because we're listing two things, we need parallel structure, so "both when to x and when to y" is necessary.

Put it all together and it has to be A!
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 42103 [4]
Send PM
Biologists believe that they have found one of the substances that tel [#permalink]
Kudos
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
As per the relative pronoun touch – rule, a relative pronoun such as that, which, and who etc must modify the noun touching it and thus, it assumes the traits of the noun’s number and gender. In this given case, therefore 'that' relates to 'substances' and eventually needs a plural verb tell'.

The intent of the text is that there are several substances that tell this and that but the experts believe they have found just one of them.

That said, the correct idiom is ‘both when to’ rather than ‘both at which time’ or ‘both about when’.

A survives.

P.S. The golden rule about the subject-verb agreement is that the subject always determines the verb and not vice versa. So verbs 'tell' or 'tells' cannot decide if the subject is one or substances.

Originally posted by daagh on 22 Feb 2011, 07:48.
Last edited by daagh on 02 Apr 2019, 00:18, edited 1 time in total.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 42103 [3]
Send PM
Re: Biologists believe that they have found one of the substances that tel [#permalink]
Kudos
Expert Reply
MGMAT says

Quote:
“So if I had this option "That school's students, who have been sick, are feeling better" then I'd prefer to say it that way so I can have students right next to who. But if I didn't have such an option, then it would be okay to say "the students at that school, who have been sick, are feeling better" because I need to specify that I'm not talking about random students in general but specifically "students at that school" - this entire noun phrase describes the specific students I want to discuss.”

The above quote explains that the exception is accepted when the most right theoretical choice is not available, but not when a rock solid copy book case is there in front .

Quote:
Biologists believe that they have found one of the substances that tell individual genes both when to become active and when to remain quiescent in the earliest phases of an embryo's development.

(A) tell individual genes both when to become active and when to remain
(B) tell individual genes both at which time they should become active and should remain
(C) tells individual genes both when to become active and when to remain
(D) tells individual genes both when to activate and when to
(E) tell an individual gene both about when it should become active and when it should remain

I would accept the exception to the touch rule if there existed no choice with the verb 'tell'; There are at least three choices that follow the classic touch rule and therefore it will be prudent to choose among them. Simply a logical case to go after the exception doesn’t exist in the given case IMO

2. @ hellishbrain: Let us compare your example of daagh

daagh is the only one of GMATClubbers who answers the questions. ( your sentence)

daagh is one of GMATClubbers who answers the questions. – ( another sentence) Now which verb is correct?" Answer or answers"? You can’t still stick on to the verb ‘answers” Am I right?

In your sentence the use of the phrase ‘the only one’, that includes a definitive article ‘the’ makes all the difference between the meanings of the two.

Let us not delve into Bob’s versions at the moment, as they relate to a different context.

The issue of the object of the preposition deciding the nature of the verb, mostly arises in the case of the SANAM pronouns( Some, all, none, any, and most) and the pronoun “one´ is not among them. I wonder whether any OG or GPREP question has ever tested the validity of such a ticklish issue given the aversion of GMAT to indulge in controversies.

But the take away according to me should be ” Do not rush to use an exception without a need for it” ; The risk in overusing an exception is that one day the exception will become the rule and the rule an exception.

PS:Will my readers pardon me for such a lengthy essay?
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 27 [1]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Re: Biologists believe that they have found one of the substances [#permalink]
Bookmarks
Guys,

I would suggest all of you to refer to the MGMAT forum to clear this doubt.

https://www.manhattangmat.com/forums/sin ... t1400.html

"One of the" construct is NOT always considered singular. Many of the answers in the 1000 SC collections are not correct.

Correcting my statement (Adding a NOT which i missed earlier and changed the whole meaning. :-) ... sorry for the confusion.

Thanks!!

Originally posted by jainvik7 on 13 Jul 2012, 08:10.
Last edited by jainvik7 on 13 Jul 2012, 22:40, edited 1 time in total.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 42103 [2]
Send PM
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
@jainvik7

Quote:
"One of the" construct is always considered singular.

I am afraid one cannot justify such a wide remark. You may refer to Stacey’s observation in the link you have cited.

Quote:
Your middle sentence has a different structure. Here's the core of each:

1) One of the ethnic groups was (main subj=one, main verb=was)

2) A higher interest rate is only one of the factors that keep (main subj=rate, main verb=was. THEN "one of the factors that keep" is a subordinate clause - the "that" indicates a noun modifier, so it refers to the noun right before it - "factors")

3) One of the students was (main subj = one, main verb = was)

So the question is what noun to match with what verb. In a sentence in which you have a straight "one of the noun verb," one is going to match with that verb. In a sentence in which you have "noun verb one of the noun THAT verb" the verb is going to go with the noun immediately preceding the word "that."

You may thus see it is not always that 'one of the construct' is singular, as you have mentioned. Secondly, in this present example, you see the prevalence of the subordinate clause introduced by the noun modifier ‘that’ . So the verb is going to be plural in this case, namely ‘tell’ rather than the singular ‘tells’.

Am I right?
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1480 [0]
Given Kudos: 116
Concentration: International Business, Strategy
GMAT Date: 07-30-2012
GPA: 2.66
WE:Information Technology (Computer Software)
Send PM
hey i studied Stacey's explanation on the forum. But still not very clear as to when consider one of the as singular and when to consider it plural.

@daagh: can you please give a detail explanation?
It would be really very helpful
Thanx :)
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 42103 [10]
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
Consider these examples.

One of the books in the rack has been written by Irving Wallace

This is a simple sentence with ‘one ‘as the subject, of the books as the prepositional intermediary and ‘is ‘as the verb. In this case, the subject and the verb are singular.

Look at the next case. One of the books that have been written by Irving Wallace is in the rack. --- here the main clause is ‘one of the books is in the rack’ and the subordinate clause introduced by the relative pronoun and the conjunction is ‘that have been written by Irving Wallace’. The verb of this subordinate cluse will be plural, since the relative pronoun refers to the noun before and takes on its characteristics such as number and gender. Hence, the subject of the subordinate clause is plural in nature and the verb is plural.

This is what Stacey says according to me. In other words, whenever you see a relative pronoun such as that or who etc, in a complex sentence that contains ‘ one of the construct’ , be guided by the number of the noun it touches for determining the number of the verb.
Magoosh GMAT Instructor
Own Kudos [?]: 4562 [3]
Given Kudos: 2
Send PM
Kudos