Last visit was: 23 Apr 2024, 16:31 It is currently 23 Apr 2024, 16:31

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 461 [77]
Given Kudos: 124
GMAT 1: 590 Q48 V24
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
GMAT Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 9239 [41]
Given Kudos: 91
 Q51  V47
Send PM
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 618587 [16]
Given Kudos: 81563
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Given Kudos: 7
Send PM
Re: Laura has a deck of standard playing cards with 13 of the 52 [#permalink]
My question may sound incorrect. Why can't I think of the problem as geometric distribution in terms of first success ( heart) in k (10) trials. Please tell where I am going wrong

Posted from my mobile device
General Discussion
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 461 [2]
Given Kudos: 124
GMAT 1: 590 Q48 V24
Send PM
Re: Probability: Playing Cards [#permalink]
Kudos
Thank you Ian,
You and Bunuel make math problems sound so simple. Kudos.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 172 [1]
Given Kudos: 56
Schools: Babson '14
GMAT Date: 02-28-2013
Send PM
Kudos
and then deals 10 cards off the top of the deck, what is the probability that the 10th card dealt is a heart?

WHAT does this statement implies that 10 cards are withdrawn with replacement or without replacement ??
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 172 [2]
Given Kudos: 56
Schools: Babson '14
GMAT Date: 02-28-2013
Send PM
Kudos
Bunuel wrote:
himanshuhpr wrote:
and then deals 10 cards off the top of the deck, what is the probability that the 10th card dealt is a heart?

WHAT does this statement implies that 10 cards are withdrawn with replacement or without replacement ??

No replacement there, 10 cards are dealt and we are asked to find the probability that 10th card is a heart.

If there is no replacement then how is the (P) that the 10th card is 13/52 ??

there are many cases here to be considered here if there is no replacement such as:

H- Denotes heart X-may be any diamond, spade or club.

1. HXXXXXXXXH
2. HHXXXXXXXH
3. HHHXXXXXXH
9. HHHHHHHHHH
10. XXXXXXXXXH

All cases from 1 to 10 will have different probabilities for heart to be at the 10th place and it will take hell lot of time to calculate all of them.

For according to me the above solution by Ian is only valid if cards are replaced (Every card has a 13/52 = 1/4 chance of being a heart; it doesn't matter if it's the top card in the deck or the tenth card in the deck.)If that's the case that brings back me to my original question ---- how do we determine that the cards are replaced or not ?? based on the question given ....
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 618587 [1]
Given Kudos: 81563
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
himanshuhpr wrote:
Bunuel wrote:
himanshuhpr wrote:

No replacement there, 10 cards are dealt and we are asked to find the probability that 10th card is a heart.

If there is no replacement then how is the (P) that the 10th card is 13/52 ??

there are many cases here to be considered here if there is no replacement such as:

H- Denotes heart X-may be any diamond, spade or club.

1. HXXXXXXXXH
2. HHXXXXXXXH
3. HHHXXXXXXH
9. HHHHHHHHHH
10. XXXXXXXXXH

All cases from 1 to 10 will have different probabilities for heart to be at the 10th place and it will take hell lot of time to calculate all of them.

For according to me the above solution by Ian is only valid if cards are replaced (Every card has a 13/52 = 1/4 chance of being a heart; it doesn't matter if it's the top card in the deck or the tenth card in the deck.)If that's the case that brings back me to my original question ---- how do we determine that the cards are replaced or not ?? based on the question given ....

When we have a case with replacement it's always clearly mentioned in the question. We are told that "Laura deals 10 cards off the top of the deck", which means that there is no replacement whatsoever.

As for the question, concept behind it is discussed in the topics given in my previous post.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 67 [2]
Given Kudos: 129
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
ctrlaltdel wrote:
Laura has a deck of standard playing cards with 13 of the 52 cards designated as a "heart." If Laura shuffles the deck thoroughly and then deals 10 cards off the top of the deck, what is the probability that the 10th card dealt is a heart?

Hi! I went through all the similar problems provided by Bunuel and was able to understand and solve them. However, I am still not able to get why this is not an arrangement problem. Why do we need to ignore the number 10? Bunuel/Karishma, kindly elaborate.

I solved the question using reverse probability: 1- P(10th is not heart) = 1- (3*13)/52 = 1/4.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 56 [5]
Given Kudos: 446
GMAT 1: 750 Q50 V42
Send PM
Kudos