Last visit was: 23 Apr 2024, 18:16 It is currently 23 Apr 2024, 18:16

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
CEO
CEO
Own Kudos [?]: 515 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
CEO
CEO
Send PM
CEO
CEO
Send PM
CEO
CEO
Send PM
[#permalink]
Australia's University of Melbourne offers a JD/MBA program as well. The program takes a total of three years.

"This program is designed for students who require legal expertise and a comprehensive management education. The program gives students the skills and knowledge to undertake management roles; either as legal experts in the corporate environment, as corporate practitioners with an understanding of legal practice or as legal representatives. The program has been approved by the Council of Legal Education as satisfying the academic requirements for admission to legal practice in all Australian jurisdictions."

https://www.jdmba.unimelb.edu.au/
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Send PM
JD/MBA Chance at Wharton? [#permalink]
Hello, I'm new to this forum (and just starting my consideration of how to apply to business school) and I'm seeking any advice that I can get about how to strengthen my application. I noticed this thread and, given my situation, it appeared apropos. Here is my information - I am planning to apply solely to Wharton, given that I will be attending Penn Law next year (I opted to defer matriculation for one year).

First, my two greatest weaknesses: Age - 23, Years of Work Experience: 1 (will be ~1.5 when I apply next year).

Strengths: My numbers/stats (3.75 GPA, magna cum laude, Phi Beta Kappa with departmental honors in History from a top 30 undergrad [though I have taken a few calculus/comp sci courses] / I haven't taken an official GMAT yet [as I have several months left before I have to do so] but my prep test averages have been near mid-700s, and my GRE split was 690V/750M/6W - which is 95%/85%/96%). My extracurriculars in college were outstanding - I was president of my class (which meant that I played a major role in planning commencement and directed a fundraising effort that brought in approx. $100,000 from students), a member of the honor court, a member of the school's interfraternity council, and worked part-time throughout most of college. I am also an avid runner and (now) a triathlete (a lot more fun than it looks).

While my work experience is limited, it has been fairly high-stakes work at a federal regulatory agency, working on facets of anti-consumer fraud, spam detection and prevention, data security, and anti-ID theft policy, and my supervisors state that I have been astonishingly successful in tackling immense amounts of work and providing stellar quality as well. I have already thought out my essay topics and, given my strong writing skills, I should do well with these. I plan to (post law/business school) work at a firm dealing with corporate law and hope to then transition into either business consulting relating to what I have been working on post-college (ie assisting companies in ensuring compliance with safeguards/best practices relating to data security and liability) or working on similar aspects within a corporation.

Since I will be attending Penn Law, my only application will be to Wharton. Will this factor (and the fact that I am receiving a sizeable merit scholarship at Penn Law) be of help? I know that there is a Certification program from Wharton for Penn Law Students, which is indicative that they believe Penn Law students are capable of the work required at Wharton. Since I will apply during my first semester at Penn Law, would you recommend finding a recommender on the Penn Law faculty to supplement my other recommendations? Also, save for gaining further work experience, is there anything I should be doing in the mean-time. I know that it's a veritable crap-shoot, so any advice is greatly appreciated
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 51 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
Hjort, if the typical age for the MBA applicant is ~27, and the typical age for the LSAT applicant is ~22, should the JD/MBA hopeful apply at the earlier or later end of this spectrum?
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 1629 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
Michigan offers a JD/MBA program too. In my class of 2006 (some 450 people), there were three or four duals.
CEO
CEO
Send PM
[#permalink]
Good point- Michigan is one of the "Double Elite" schools with elite cluster JD and MBA programs.

The "Double Elite" programs include:

UC Berkeley
Cornell
Duke
Michigan
NYU
Virginia

UCLA has an Elite cluster MBA program and JD program that is often considered in the Trans Elite cluster.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 59 [0]
Given Kudos: 10
Send PM
Re: MBA/JD Joint Business and Law Programs [#permalink]
Hello, I know this topic is somewhat old, but I was wanting to seek some advice.

I was wondering what you by trans elite? (When your referring to UCLA)
I am wanting to go back for a JD/MBA, and wanting to be located in SoCal after school, but wasn't sure if picking UCLA over a school like Columbia for region was a smart move or not.
CEO
CEO
Send PM
Trans elite means just one step below the elite schoools. For whatever reason, USC and UCLA have not broken into the group of the top 14 or so law schools although they are clearly recognized as strong schools nationwide. This is not the case with UCLA Andeson, which is firmly in the elite group of business schools. For law, USC and UCLA are both extremely strong choices for working in Southern CA, probably at least as strong as any law school in the elite cluster.

While it clearly depends on your area of interest, if you are interested in basic transactional law with a big firm, Columbia is probably a better choice than any school in California with the exception of Stanford.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Send PM
-Edit-

Originally posted by johncoctostan on 05 Apr 2008, 13:09.
Last edited by johncoctostan on 31 Jul 2008, 15:18, edited 1 time in total.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Send PM
Do you know what the salary figures are for JD/MBA students and what type of jobs that can normally acquire? I wouldn't consider a JD/MBA unless it had specific benefits that were attainable upon graduation.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 59 [0]
Given Kudos: 10
Send PM
I would look on Northwesterns website. They have a website for the JD/MBA program with employment statistics. Very helpful information.
GMAT Club Bot