Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 06:49 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 06:49

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 26 [0]
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 26 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
You have the right idea about your tracking methods. If I still had my error log, I would send it to you, but it basically was an excel spreadsheet with 2 tabs (verb and quant). In each tap I would make an entry each day I did something, whether it was a practice test or workbook material. I would type in the questions I got wrong and from what source (i.e. OG, PP test1, Kaplan test 3) then I would categorize it. If you are taking a practice test, then you are correct that it would be difficult to determine which category it goes, but I gave it try anyway. I used excel to count the errors in each category and tyr to see trends in my development. From my log, I found RC, data sufficiency, and perm/comb questions were my bugaboo.

The key ot getting better at each type of question is not how many questions you do. You have to be absolutely sure that you know exactly why you got a question wrong before you move onto the next wrong question. This was my method and it worked for me. I would spend an entire day on one question because I would not move on unless I understood the question completely. Sometimes thats what it takes.

I hope this helps
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
Wow, you have a wide range of practice scores! Perhaps it would be worth analyzing this. Was it something about the questions that caused the difference? Do you recall doing anything differently (e.g., different time of day), when you scored well and when you didn't? :twisted:
Intern
Intern
Send PM
[#permalink]
ya, I know. The wide swing of practice scores didn't make sense, and I know why now. It was because after doing all the OG questions, most questions in the PP1 and PP2 are repeats, so they were not representative for a true performance. After all you can find almost all questions in the OG.

I felt my true performance is at 590 to 620, and I felt this when I was doing the real GMAT. It was by then, I realized I wasn't improving all that much.

I'm going a little mad right now trying to figure out how to improve Verbal. Any advices are greatly appreciated :)

In the mean time I'll try error logging in detail.

fustrated + confused is where I am right now. I'm just so pissed that solving thousands of questions still didn't pay off. I guess I don't know where my weak areas are in Verbal.... :(
Intern
Intern
Send PM
[#permalink]
chriswil2005 wrote:
You have the right idea about your tracking methods. If I still had my error log, I would send it to you, but it basically was an excel spreadsheet with 2 tabs (verb and quant). In each tap I would make an entry each day I did something, whether it was a practice test or workbook material. I would type in the questions I got wrong and from what source (i.e. OG, PP test1, Kaplan test 3) then I would categorize it. If you are taking a practice test, then you are correct that it would be difficult to determine which category it goes, but I gave it try anyway. I used excel to count the errors in each category and tyr to see trends in my development. From my log, I found RC, data sufficiency, and perm/comb questions were my bugaboo.

The key ot getting better at each type of question is not how many questions you do. You have to be absolutely sure that you know exactly why you got a question wrong before you move onto the next wrong question. This was my method and it worked for me. I would spend an entire day on one question because I would not move on unless I understood the question completely. Sometimes thats what it takes.

I hope this helps

Hi Chris,

Thanks for the encouragement about my recent GMAT 580 from a 610. I am now getting my head cleared and ready to retake the test again early 2006. I have read your post about your 4 time GMAT journey, and I really admire what you have accomplished.

Would you mind sharing your verbal preparation stradegy? I got myself a error log ready, and would like to know some of the practical steps to take.

How did you practice SC/RC/CR specifically? I'll imagine you have some real good advice to share in terms of spotting personal weak areas and work on those to improve. That's what I am missing the most.

Thanks and merry xmas

You can also email me at weiyuegao@yahoo.com
GMAT Club Bot
[#permalink]
Moderator:
Founder
37305 posts