Last visit was: 23 Apr 2024, 13:16 It is currently 23 Apr 2024, 13:16

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 1212 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 74 [0]
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 3 [0]
Send PM
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 257 [0]
Send PM
Re: Guidebook writer: I have visited hotels throughout the [#permalink]
Good one! Should be D.

Agree with plsubbu and allabout.

The EVIL Guide bookwriter :twisted: is forcing us to believe that all buildings built before 1930 have superior carpentry than the ones built after 1930.

For COMPARISON based CR questions:
1. Look at the sample that is being compared. Ask yourself, is the SAMPLE representative enough to make a GENERAL statement?
2. Is there any other sample that I can take and prove the argument is wrong?

Once we know that there is a problem with the sample, it can be countered in several ways:
1. The evil Guidebook writer might travelled only to a country where his observation is true. Another traveller might have the opposite experience from a different country where all bldgs built after 1930 have better carpentry. :lol:
2. Answer Choice D.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 168 [0]
Send PM
edit.. i get it now.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 24 [0]
Send PM
gamjatang wrote:
Guidebook writer: I have visited hotels throughout the country and have noticed that in those built before 1930 the quality of the original carpentry work is generally superior to that in hotels built afterward. Clearly carpenters working on hotels before 1930 typically worked with more skill, care, and effort than carpenters who have worked on hotels built subsequently.

Which of the following, if true, most seriously weakens the guidebook writer’s argument?

A. The quality of original carpentry in hotels is generally far superior to the quality of original carpentry in other structures, such as houses and stores.

B. Hotels built since 1930 can generally accommodate more guests than those built before 1930.

C. The materials available to carpenters working before 1930 were not significantly different in quality from the materials available to carpenters working after 1930.

D. The better the quality of original carpentry in a building, the less likely that building is to fall into disuse and be demolished.

E. The average length of apprenticeship for carpenters has declined significantly since 1930.

I think it should be B. The conclusion is that carpenters worked more carefully with better skill before 1930. The evidence is that the capentry in buildings older than 1930 are in better shape than those in newer buidlings. To weaken that, B says that reasons other than carpenter's skill and effort has effects on the capentry that we see today.
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 1212 [0]
Send PM
Yes, the Anwser is (D).

I believe that this type of logic flaw frequently apperas in gmat.

The article says X->Y, but the truth is Y->X.

Archived Topic
Hi there,
This topic has been closed and archived due to inactivity or violation of community quality standards. No more replies are possible here.
Where to now? Join ongoing discussions on thousands of quality questions in our Critical Reasoning (CR) Forum
Still interested in this question? Check out the "Best Topics" block above for a better discussion on this exact question, as well as several more related questions.
Thank you for understanding, and happy exploring!
GMAT Club Bot
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6917 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts