Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 15:47 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 15:47

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date

How many schools are you applying to?

You may select 1 option
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Affiliations: HHonors Diamond, BGS Honor Society
Own Kudos [?]: 3083 [1]
Given Kudos: 7
Schools: Chicago (Booth) - Class of 2009
GMAT 1: 730 Q45 V45
WE:Business Development (Consumer Products)
Send PM
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 52 [1]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
CEO
CEO
Own Kudos [?]: 515 [0]
Send PM
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 52 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
Good to see Hjort around..this sub forum can definitely benefit from your insights.

Hjort wrote:
Around six or so if often a good number. Regardless of what the rankings say in any given year, Yale is firmly in the elite cluster of schools.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 3083 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
You know I hadn't even thought of that... Splitting up the schools by R1/R2...
That might make some sense actually...
Director
Director
Send PM
[#permalink]
The biggest challenge is to convince recommenders to write so many letters. Each school has its own specific format and set of questions. This will severely restrict the number of schools that I will apply to.

I have enthusiastic recommenders lined up...don't want to irritate them by being insensitive to their schedules.

rhyme wrote:
You know I hadn't even thought of that... Splitting up the schools by R1/R2...
That might make some sense actually...
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Send PM
[#permalink]
lhotseface wrote:
The biggest challenge is to convince recommenders to write so many letters. Each school has its own specific format and set of questions. This will severely restrict the number of schools that I will apply to.

I have enthusiastic recommenders lined up...don't want to irritate them by being insensitive to their schedules.

I face a similar challenge... Thinking I may use two different managers from previous positions and split the work up.
Director
Director
Send PM
[#permalink]
Are you planning to recruit your current supervisor/manager ? Everyone I have talked to has strongly encouraged me to do so. It is such a pain to spill the beans at work...

rhyme wrote:
lhotseface wrote:

I face a similar challenge... Thinking I may use two different managers from previous positions and split the work up.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Send PM
[#permalink]
lhotseface wrote:
Are you planning to recruit your current supervisor/manager ? Everyone I have talked to has strongly encouraged me to do so. It is such a pain to spill the beans at work...

rhyme wrote:
lhotseface wrote:

It's a tricky situation to say the least. I am a contractor at the moment. If I ask him, its obvious my tenure at the firm is limited to about a year. If I ask him, they may not want to hire me full time (contract is up in six months). I dont want to go full time (I like contract work), but its risky for me to bring it up... from their perspective, they would now have a good reason not to bother with hiring me... i cant afford to switch again..

It's a challenge and a half!
Director
Director
Send PM
[#permalink]
[I guess it isn't much of an issue if you have only been working in the current position for a short contract position. You can mention this in a supplemental question. For someone like me, who has had the same boss for 4 years..it is a matter of critical importance.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 269 [0]
Send PM
Re: How many schools should you apply to? [#permalink]
lhotseface wrote:
Rhyme,
Are you planning all R1 ? I am thinking of 4 in R1 and then a couple more.

Kellogg - Strech
Wharton - Streeeeech
UCLA
Michigan

I have a concrete vision for my own company and would prefer to attend a school where entrepreneurship is strong. People have started sustainable companies out of Ross and Anderson with support from faulty and the university.

rhyme wrote:

My list stands at 7 and varies a bit now and then...

Roughly speaking:

KGSM
Wharton or MIT
Harvard
NYU
Yale
Georgetown

My biggest challenge is that KGSM, Wharton, MIT, Harvard, NYU and Yale all have low acceptance rates. Georgetown is the only real "backup" there. It's not like undergrad where you could easily pick a few top schools, a few mids and a few backups... Yale is ranked 22nd I believe yet has an acceptance rate almost identical to Kellogg's (for example).

So how many places are you applying?

If you vote, please post where!

I really don't understand why you think wharton and Kellogg are streach for you? Any rationals?
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 30 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
I am applying for 5 schools staggered in R1 and R2 ...Will apply to school as per the quality of application rather than Rounds

Ultra Elite

Chicago R1

Elite

Johnson R1
Darden R1
Ross R2

Trans-Elite

Emory R2

Cheers
Director
Director
Send PM
Two words - Indian IT..........oh no another one ! I hate this classification but that is life. There is much more to me than what those two words suggest. Hopefully, I will be able to put it across in my essays. It is just that I am under no illusions. I know I want an MBA, I know I want it NOW and I do want it from a good school. Frankly, any of the top 15 schools will serve my purpose.

chiragr wrote:
lhotseface wrote:
Rhyme,

Kellogg - Strech
Wharton - Streeeeech
UCLA
Michigan

I have a concrete vision for my own company and would prefer to attend a school where entrepreneurship is strong. People have started sustainable companies out of Ross and Anderson with support from faulty and the university.

rhyme wrote:

Roughly speaking:

KGSM
Wharton or MIT
Harvard
NYU
Yale
Georgetown

My biggest challenge is that KGSM, Wharton, MIT, Harvard, NYU and Yale all have low acceptance rates. Georgetown is the only real "backup" there. It's not like undergrad where you could easily pick a few top schools, a few mids and a few backups... Yale is ranked 22nd I believe yet has an acceptance rate almost identical to Kellogg's (for example).

I really don't understand why you think wharton and Kellogg are streach for you? Any rationals?
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 269 [0]
Send PM
Your scores are competitive, and you have time so I really don't see any reason for you to aim anything less than ultra elite! And I really don't think that anything less than that is justifiable for Indian IT guy like you to switch. But frankly if you are not applying to all top 7, only thing I will say is THANKS :)

lhotseface wrote:
Two words - Indian IT..........oh no another one ! I hate this classification but that is life. There is much more to me than what those two words suggest. Hopefully, I will be able to put it across in my essays. It is just that I am under no illusions. I know I want an MBA, I know I want it NOW and I do want it from a good school. Frankly, any of the top 15 schools will serve my purpose.

chiragr wrote:
lhotseface wrote:
Rhyme,

Kellogg - Strech
Wharton - Streeeeech
UCLA
Michigan

rhyme wrote:

Roughly speaking:

KGSM
Wharton or MIT
Harvard
NYU
Yale
Georgetown

Non-Human User
Own Kudos [?]: 40 [0]
Send PM
Hello from the GMAT Club MBAbot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
GMAT Club Bot