Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 04:27 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 04:27

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 748 [108]
Given Kudos: 4
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 42103 [17]
Given Kudos: 422
WE:Education (Education)
Send PM
e-GMAT Representative
Own Kudos [?]: 30790 [14]
Given Kudos: 635
GMAT Date: 08-19-2020
Send PM
General Discussion
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 140 [2]
Given Kudos: 7
Send PM
Re: People who inherit the sickle cell anemia gene from only one parent [#permalink]
Kudos
fanatico wrote:
577. People who inherit the sickle cell anemia gene from only one parent seem to be resistant to malaria, an evolutionary advantage that may explain why a genetic condition so debilitating to many individuals has survived in the human population.
(A) seem to be resistant to malaria,
(B) seemingly are resistant to malaria,
(C) seem to be resistant to malaria and have
(D) seemingly are resistant to malaria and to have
(E) are, it seems, resistant to malaria, and they have

(B) and (D) are wrong because "seemingly" is an adverb that should modify resistant. And seem to be resistant is preferred.
(E) is too wrong. It provides are as verb for people then is modifier by a clause 'it seems' that is not correctly connected to the main clause.
(C) is not necessary

So A but I also want to hear what others think... Want to know if I understand things right

Posted from my mobile device
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 748 [2]
Given Kudos: 4
Send PM
Re: People who inherit the sickle cell anemia gene from only one parent [#permalink]
Kudos
But won't the modifier "an evolutionary advantage..." modify malaria instead of modifying "...resistant to malaria"?
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 42103 [7]
Given Kudos: 422
WE:Education (Education)
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
What can logically be an advantage- a disease or resistance to it?
Manager
Manager
Status:Preparing myself to break the sound( 700 )-barrier!
Affiliations: IFC - Business Edge, Bangladesh Enterprise Institute
Own Kudos [?]: 226 [1]
Given Kudos: 136
Send PM
Kudos
daagh wrote:
What can logically be an advantage- a disease or resistance to it?

'An evolutionary advantage' is indicating which one? 'Malaria' or 'Resistant to Malaria'?

I think it's indicating Malaria only.
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 2129 [2]
Given Kudos: 622
GPA: 3.77
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
Easy.

Resitance to malaria is "an evolutionary advantage" , the part after comma is a modifier, so C, D, E are gone

seem to be is correct idiom, so A is correct.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 1332 [1]
Given Kudos: 51
Send PM
Kudos
well 'an evolutionary advantage' is placed next to malaria and not next to resistance, so why should it modify resistance and not malaria ?

what am i missing here ?
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 2129 [0]
Send PM
garimavyas wrote:
well 'an evolutionary advantage' is placed next to malaria and not next to resistance, so why should it modify resistance and not malaria ?

what am i missing here ?

Try to read it again but skip:
1. the word "malaria"
2 the word "resitance"

Think which sentence makes sense?

the correct one will sound as the original, the wrong will be an absolute absurd. (well, malaria could not be an advantage :) )
SVP
SVP
Status:<strong>Nothing comes easy: neither do I want.</strong>
Own Kudos [?]: 3594 [0]
Given Kudos: 235
Concentration: Technology, Entrepreneurship
Schools: ISB '15 (M)
GMAT 1: 670 Q49 V31
GMAT 2: 710 Q50 V35
Send PM
I don't think C is wrong at all.

The only reason why I would select A over C is..because A is correct too.

Since both implies different meanings, always go with the option A.

If the value of option C had been at the option A, I would have selected the option that is currently at C.
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 2129 [3]
Send PM
Kudos
gurpreetsingh wrote:
I don't think C is wrong at all.

The only reason why I would select A over C is..because A is correct too.

Since both implies different meanings, always go with the option A.

If the value of option C had been at the option A, I would have selected the option that is currently at C.

With a lot of respect to my colleague, I would disagree with that.

Let us read the sentence as follows:

People who [strike]inherit the sickle cell anemia gene from only one parent[/strike] seem to be resistant to malaria.
Resistance to malaria is an evolutionary advantage [strike]that may explain why a genetic condition so debilitating to many individuals has survived in the human population[/strike].

if you read it in C's way:

People who [strike]inherit the sickle cell anemia gene from only one parent[/strike] seem to be resistant to malaria and have an evolutionary advantage [strike]that may explain why a genetic condition so debilitating to many individuals has survived in the human population.[/strike]

In this case parts People who AND have evolutionary advantage - ARE NOT PARALLEL!

From the meaning of the sentence the stare of being resistant to malaria is an evolutionary advantage.

Why evolutionary?! because some people inherited the resitence from one of their parents.
SVP
SVP
Status:<strong>Nothing comes easy: neither do I want.</strong>
Own Kudos [?]: 3594 [8]
Given Kudos: 235
Concentration: Technology, Entrepreneurship
Schools: ISB '15 (M)
GMAT 1: 670 Q49 V31
GMAT 2: 710 Q50 V35
Send PM
Kudos