Last visit was: 23 Apr 2024, 20:55 It is currently 23 Apr 2024, 20:55

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 175 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 23 [0]
Send PM
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 56 [0]
Send PM
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 727 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
Vicky,

Congrats a lot. You have shown it. The CAT can be tamed. I have One Question. How did you write the exam twice in one month. I am planning to write my test soon. Also please tell me compared to your previous experience can you compare the level of difficulty for all the three tests to be same.

While preparing what all test you soled and with what frequence. Or did you just practiced. Any important tests you would recommend before taking the exam.

Also on the LSAT there is kust one test. Are you talking about that or are there many questions.

My problem is I understand the tricks of GMATIC trade but I am a nervous test taker and so I screw it up. Any work of encouragement here.........

Good job and good luck with the other most important task of applications.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Send PM
Re: got 730... Never give up... [#permalink]
Vicky,

Great job! Your perseverance did pay off, finally. Your contributions to Verbal and Quant forums here have been invaluable. Also, thank you for sharing those great resources on grammar and tough Math problems.

Could you provide any tips on how you managed time on Verbal section. Did you have to guess on any parts of your Verbal section. I haven't taken the real test yet, but I run out of time toward the last half a dozen questions in my practice sessions. Some CR questions (especially long ones) which have close answer choices tend to be more time-consuming for me. Do you have to come up with any strategy to handle such questions. Can you also recommend any specific ways to improve timing on Verbal questions. As everyone reiterated on this website, I know that practice, practice and more practice are the key to many of my questions. But, I wanted to see if you had any other unique ways to improve. Could you also share your scores from practice tests. Did you take an paper tests? What were your scores.

Also, how big were the RC passages. For me, I will be out of the game if I get a couple of 75 line passages. It takes me forever reading through a long passage and comprehend what the author is trying to say.

Thanks again for your time and good luck with your app's.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
[#permalink]
congrats
thats an massive improvement
i will be taking GMAT tomm.
am very nervous
tell me how many probability permutation combination prob were asked
were they tough
was coordinate geometry tested
thxs
Intern
Intern
Send PM
[#permalink]
Many congratulations to you Vicky.. a Great score and I am sure you must have put a lot of efforts to reach at this score..I am also at 640 and planning to give the exam again..Your story tells clearly that hard work and perseverance pays back in leaps and bounds sooner or later..
Manager
Manager
Send PM
[#permalink]
Hey, Vicky,
congratulations!!!
you've managed to do it! I remember your October posting about getting 640 - that time I thought to myself: my score must be around 540 then...
Your quant score is fabulous and your progress in verbal is more than impressive.
Although I practice everyday and today I finished PS in OG, I still make mistakes. That makes me nervous, since my test date is coming very very soon... :shock:
good luck in your app. hustle!
CEO
CEO
Own Kudos [?]: 1649 [0]
Given Kudos: 781
Send PM
Re: got 730... Never give up... [#permalink]
Great news !!! :-D
i am so happy for you.
feel proud of ya, your perseverance paid off.

Make sure you reward yourself with a vacation or something..you deserve it.

i make it a point to do some charity here and there...and if its a happy occasion, i make it a point to make that donation a bit larger.

so in case, you feel like reaching out to the community..heres a link my indian friend gave me.

https://www.aidindia.org ( you are from india ,isnt it)

my indian friends told me about it just recently. see if you contribute...

yes, i am still neck deep in my research, but a couple of days more and i am back to gmat.
Could you stick around and post some more questions...some good challenge questions...
Kindly comment on the difficulty level of the quant..
keep in touch...is there a email address i can contact you at...just in case
i need some help.

The music might have never sounded so sweet ! :)

Got to get back to work
keep it real
praetorian

Originally posted by Praetorian on 21 Nov 2003, 08:44.
Last edited by Praetorian on 04 Mar 2004, 14:45, edited 1 time in total.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 175 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
thanks a lot friends.
praet.. nice to see u back... :-D
ur help had been invaluable. i have sent a mesg to u.

I dont think i guessed on many questions in quant. I think i guesses on atmost 2 question. But last time (oct ) i guessed on many questions and still got 47. I feel that doing first 15 right is very important and then pick up pace and make sure that u dont get many wrongs in a row. But if u are looking for a high score 50 types in quant u wud like to spread your time evenly on all the questions.
Again, go through questions of the link that i send and also many questions that i had posted earlier. I usually posted only unconventional, medium to tough and tricky questions on quant.

For verbal, again i did't guesses on many questions. Atmost 3.
Practise the CR and RC of Lsat questions. While reading for RC's people have already posted many tips.. (read AD's post). Always be claer with the author's main idea and make an outline as u read. Whenever u sit for practise sit for longer times atleast 1.5 hours, whether it is quant or verbal. GMAT requires your ability to concentrate for longer times. I think this is very important. Start building ur stamina from today. Some people do well on paper tests but bad on computer tests. It takes lot more to continuously focus on computer practise. I advise that all your practise should be on computer.
In my verbal SC's were very long some 3-4 lines. :roll:
and in previous test when i scored low they were comparatively shorter.
No conclusions here.. just an observation !
Also dont panic on such questions just see what test takers are testing. Some SC questions may test 2 things at the same time: subject-verb and parallelism. I found parallelism & idiomatic questions very common on my test. Above all practise more, and practise good questions. Nothing can do more damage than practising on sub-standard material like kaplan CD's russian english.. :lol:
If u are afraid of any section: SC, RC or CR... then only way to do better on them is to face it.
edealfan, if u think that long RC's - 75 lines give u nightmares. Then today solve 4 RC 75 lines long back to back. I tell u, just do this for 5 days continuously and one 6th day u will be surprised to see the huge improvement and above all fear of RC will vanish.
Any weak area, face it for few days daily (for 30 minutes) and see it disappearing.
This is what i did. If u avoid any weak area, beleive me u may face it on the test day. For good RC and CR practise the questions on the link that i posted b'fore (& thank praet for posting it initially..)
i gave only online tests: kaplan, princeton, arco and other tests listed on this site. I found them useful.
I got: Kaplan - 680
Princeton - 680
Turbo - 740 (projected)
dont focus too much on these scores, just identify your weak areas and focus more on that.
There is one more test on gmatclub's test links: GMAT turbo prep.
i found this test to be interesting & tough.

i wud post quant question as i come across some interesting ones.
best of luck to everyone.
Believe in yourself, if i can do it so can u.
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 987 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
Vicky et al.,

many congratulations, vicky. now, don't forget to enjoy B'lore's night life..atleast not Black Cadilla. enjoy!

Thanks a bunch for all the motivational words you guyz have written. I was wondering if someone can give an advise that relates the practise test with the real test.

I, generally, do good on the practise questions I take. But, on the full-length exam, I don't know why, I couldn't make an impact. Most of the time I see that I have done some silly mistakes, may be b/c of lack of concentration or whatever.

On the first online, PR--without practise, I got 640. And stumbled on kaplan's - 570. I am not sure how to transcribe my practise's accuracy to online tests.

I am targeting for 710+. I know one can't practise everything, anyhow, how many online exams, you feel or you guyz practised, will suffice? I want to get an Idea to see where I need to reach. ---- I have got <2months for the exam.

tia
dj
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 18 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
Many congratulations to you Vicky.

Great job on the forum and on your test scores.

All the best for your admission procedure now. Let us know your progress in that too.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
need inspiration [#permalink]
hi vicky,
i wrote GMAT yesterday,although i scored 700 in pp i got only 570.
i was completely stressed and ran out of time ,i am extremely sad but when i read ur article i was instantly revived.i am from bangalore.i would like to speak to u.
pls mail me ur tel no on my id ashwini_s17@yahoo.com

looking forward to your guidance

ash
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 101 [0]
Send PM
Info LSAT ! [#permalink]
Hi Vicky,

Congratulations on your score, I hope to get a similar one soon,

I have a quick question, any recommendation how to attack LSAT materials for RC and CR ?

Any recommended book to buy ?

Thanks
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 12 [0]
Concentration: Startegy
Schools:Harvard, NYU Stern
 Q47  V27
Send PM
verbal score [#permalink]
hi vicky,
congrats on your GMAT score.i wanted to ask how i should improve my RC and SC?Where can i find teh LSAT questions

vivek
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
Awesome score & inspiring advice.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
[#permalink]
Hi vicky,Congrats friend.
Can you share me some vrbal guide?Igot 19 in verbal last month but I believe I can tame it.
BUT HOW???
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 54 [0]
Send PM
hi Vicky [#permalink]
Congrats to your score!

I was very inspiring to read your message. Don't ever give up, practice practice practice and again practise...nothing is impossilbe. Thanks you for your note. I'll keep my dream alive!
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Disappointed Need Help 520 today [#permalink]
Discovered this forum only a few days before my test today. Got a 520.Utterly disappointed. After 4 months and 3 weeks of serious preps totally disappointed.Had a bad test day. Range of practice tests-465-680...my highest was 680...never expected it to drop so badly....thinking of when to retake it and what i shud do different. Have to get a 700+ score to show some improvement....

What i used
OG,Kaplan,Princeton,
full length tests form 800score.com, crack gmat

Need help.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
[#permalink]
Congrats !!!! Very inspiring example of determination.
GMAT Club Bot
[#permalink]
 1   2   
Moderator:
Founder
37300 posts