Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 15:06 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 15:06

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 22 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Send PM
[#permalink]
Forgot to mention golf in the list of things I need money for :lol:
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
i think the loan would cover that as well... wouldnt it?
Or maybe give up the golf thing :lol:
Anyway i do understand you, i'd never go back depending on ma&da, ever
Manager
Manager
Send PM
[#permalink]
Wow...now I feel terrible. :wink: Am I the only one who will be depending on mom and pop for some of my financial needs during school?
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 233 [0]
Given Kudos: 2
Concentration: Social Enterprise
Schools:The Duke MBA, Class of 2009
Send PM
[#permalink]
artshep wrote:
Wow...now I feel terrible. :wink: Am I the only one who will be depending on mom and pop for some of my financial needs during school?

I say that if the apron strings lead to the dough, and your sense of self won't be crushed, go for it.

My parents have absolutely NOTHING to give, so that's never been an option.

But yeah, many people cover the whole thing - tuition and living expenses - through loans, with private loans making up the difference.

See the "Cha Ching" announcement in the b-school thread for more on funding b-school.
CEO
CEO
Own Kudos [?]: 1117 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
aaudetat wrote:
artshep wrote:

I say that if the apron strings lead to the dough, and your sense of self won't be crushed, go for it.

My parents have absolutely NOTHING to give, so that's never been an option.

But yeah, many people cover the whole thing - tuition and living expenses - through loans, with private loans making up the difference.

See the "Cha Ching" announcement in the b-school thread for more on funding b-school.

Same here, expected family contribution = $0. It's been that way since I was 17.

Paying half through savings and the other half through Stafford and Stafford Plus loans. I think we can max out somwhere around $120K as grad students.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
[#permalink]
Yep, you guys are right on. The combination of savings and loans should do the trick, leaving little or nothing left for the parents to take on. That makes me feel better. :)

If I'm not mistaken, we do get a waive on withdrawal penalties from 401K and Roth IRA if we use that money for a graduate education. Anyone know if that's accurate?

Also, assuming a $100k loan overall, what would be an estimated monthly payment after school and what would the timeline of the loan be, typically?
CEO
CEO
Send PM
[#permalink]
artshep wrote:

Also, assuming a $100k loan overall, what would be an estimated monthly payment after school and what would the timeline of the loan be, typically?

Over 15 years it should be about $8~900/month.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 3 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
I will be paying for the tuition minus fellowship by loans. All living and personal expenses will be provided by my parents. Loans can cover everything including living/personal expenses, but I want to keep the amount borrowed as low as possible. It don't generally like being dependant on my parents, but I also don't want ridiculous loans to pay off.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
Quote:

man.......that's pretty serious, there has to be a way to extend the life of the loan. Is that a realistic number?
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Affiliations: HHonors Diamond, BGS Honor Society
Own Kudos [?]: 3083 [0]
Given Kudos: 7
Schools: Chicago (Booth) - Class of 2009
GMAT 1: 730 Q45 V45
WE:Business Development (Consumer Products)
Send PM
[#permalink]
Woah another GSBer? Did you go to Admit Weekend?
Manager
Manager
Send PM
[#permalink]
rhyme wrote:
Woah another GSBer? Did you go to Admit Weekend?

I have not yet been able to go to any of the orientation events, unfortunately, since I've been in New York wrapping up work. But I just moved back today and plan to attend as many as I can before we start up in the Fall.
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 208 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
I might pull off to finance my MBA with savings + scholarship. Although it depends on where I end up. If not, savings + Citiassist.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 24 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
Isn't not our of the question that a internship will lead to second year expenses? I have heard of employers that will offer full-time positions after internships that include covering second year tuition...Has anyone else heard of this?
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 8 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
squali83 wrote:
Isn't not our of the question that a internship will lead to second year expenses? I have heard of employers that will offer full-time positions after internships that include covering second year tuition...Has anyone else heard of this?

Yes, but its not the norm. I believe a couple consulting firms do it. I feel like I've heard of Booz offering second year tuition but I could be wrong.
CEO
CEO
Send PM
[#permalink]
macsurf wrote:
Quote:

man.......that's pretty serious, there has to be a way to extend the life of the loan. Is that a realistic number?

Depending on the applied interest rate, I may be a few bucks off but the figure is definately within the ballpark. Extending the loan beyond 15 years? Good question... anybody? :?
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 233 [0]
Given Kudos: 2
Concentration: Social Enterprise
Schools:The Duke MBA, Class of 2009
Send PM
[#permalink]
GMATT73 wrote:
Extending the loan beyond 15 years? Good question... anybody? :?

hey, gang. I believe the standard term will be at 10 years for your student loans. Post-graduation you can consolidate the loans, which will extend the term. The term you get will depend on the total amount you have outstanding. However, remember that the longer your term, the more you'll pay in interest.

See number 11 of this FAQ: https://www.mygreatlakes.com/borrower/s ... _faqs.html

P.S. I know undergrad federal loans have a standard 10-year term. I'm not so sure about grad school loans. Private loans are likely to depend on the lender.
CEO
CEO
Send PM
[#permalink]
aaudetat wrote:
GMATT73 wrote:
Extending the loan beyond 15 years? Good question... anybody? :?

hey, gang. I believe the standard term will be at 10 years for your student loans. Post-graduation you can consolidate the loans, which will extend the term. The term you get will depend on the total amount you have outstanding. However, remember that the longer your term, the more you'll pay in interest.

See number 11 of this FAQ: https://www.mygreatlakes.com/borrower/s ... _faqs.html

P.S. I know undergrad federal loans have a standard 10-year term. I'm not so sure about grad school loans. Private loans are likely to depend on the lender.

The loan repayment calculator sets its default at 10 years, so you may be right on this one. Who the hell would want to still be paying off grad loans in their 50s? https://www.edamerica.net/tools/repaymentcalculator.aspx
GMAT Club Bot
[#permalink]
 1   2