Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 15:38 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 15:38

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
CEO
CEO
Own Kudos [?]: 1649 [0]
Given Kudos: 781
Send PM
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 520 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Schools:Darden
 Q50  V51
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Send PM
CEO
CEO
Own Kudos [?]: 1649 [0]
Given Kudos: 781
Send PM
[#permalink]
yogil80 wrote:
Thanks for the article! The biggest fear is probably how one would be able to repay the school loan should one be asked to work elsewhere, with lower pay.

I am currently applying for my visa and was told that I have to demonstrate my intent to return to my home country after studies. It baffles me how one would be able to do that.

Good luck to all :0

In other words, you have to show some evidence that you are not abusing the intended purpose of the visa.

One way to demonstrate this is by getting accepted to a top school. This shows that you are serious about your education. Another way is to show that you have strong ties to your home country.

You will be fine. Its more of a deterrent to the bad guys. Do your homework and try to get into the best school possible.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 308 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Concentration: Health Care Marketing
Schools:Ross '10
Send PM
[#permalink]
I wonder if this will trigger a downtrend in the % of international students admitted to the top MBA schools. It will probably provide a slight advantage to international students who have US permanent residency.

I am currently in the US on work visa and I am already contemplating if I should rework my school portfolio for fall 2008 to include some european schools.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
Another perspective of getting into a top school is that it could serve to reinforce the notion that you are likely to stay longer since more US employers would hire you. In any case, it's tricky.

My final decision of attending whatever school came down to the amount of loan that I have to take out. I can't imagine taking a 100k loan and having to worry about repaying the loan upon graduation. Salaries are likely to be lower elsewhere (this is not to say that one would have a lower std of living), but it would make repaying the loan a real pain.

Another story:
https://www.boston.com/news/education/hi ... sas_quota/
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 208 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
1st option: Work in the UK. The UK has a program in place to guarantee visas to graduates from top schools around the world (they have their own list, not just BW or USNews or FT). You can check some info on this link (disclaimer: I'm not sure whether the list is updated and whether the legislation works exactly as I said, but I've heard about this issue more than once so I believe there's some truth to it)

https://www.gmatclub.com/phpbb/viewtopic ... er+ranking

2nd option: get a job with an international company (an MC, or a Corp with a serious international rotational program) for a posting somewhere else (probably close to your home region or to a place where they speak your language). The lower cost of living will balance the lower salaries and your saving power would be roughly on a par. Unless it's in Europe, where your salary (in dollar terms) will be actually higher.

3rd option: get an MBA from a very good school (I'd say Ultraelite or Elite, but don't quote me as it's just my guess) and employers will make sure they get you to work for them one way or the other: either in the US or in other places for short periods of time will waiting on the lottery, etc. or any other arrangement.

L.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 308 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Concentration: Health Care Marketing
Schools:Ross '10
Send PM
[#permalink]
ncprasad wrote:
I wonder if this will trigger a downtrend in the % of international students admitted to the top MBA schools. It will probably provide a slight advantage to international students who have US permanent residency.

I am currently in the US on work visa and I am already contemplating if I should rework my school portfolio for fall 2008 to include some european schools.

Aside from the issue of getting jobs post graduation, I would like to know your thoughts on the possible impact on the admissions process itself.

Would schools be hesitant to admit internationals who do not have a green card? Would the adcoms be favourable to those with GCs when making a decision between 2 comparable applicants - 1 with GC and another without. I ask this question because companies may hesitate to hire grads because of fear of visa problems and the school in turn may panic that placement statistics(and rankings) will drop.

I am officially in panic mode and ready to :yak
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 23 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
yogil80 wrote:
I am currently applying for my visa and was told that I have to demonstrate my intent to return to my home country after studies. It baffles me how one would be able to do that.

I was asked the same question. I just said "I'm coming back to look for a job". No further question on this was asked, and I just received the visa.

(Note: My visa is for phd studies and not MBA.)
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 166 [0]
Given Kudos: 3
Concentration: Analytic Finance, Economics and Strategic Management
Schools:Chicago Booth Class of 2010
 Q49  V44
Send PM
[#permalink]
lepium wrote:
1st option: Work in the UK. The UK has a program in place to guarantee visas to graduates from top schools around the world (they have their own list, not just BW or USNews or FT). You can check some info on this link (disclaimer: I'm not sure whether the list is updated and whether the legislation works exactly as I said, but I've heard about this issue more than once so I believe there's some truth to it)

https://www.gmatclub.com/phpbb/viewtopic ... er+ranking

2nd option: get a job with an international company (an MC, or a Corp with a serious international rotational program) for a posting somewhere else (probably close to your home region or to a place where they speak your language). The lower cost of living will balance the lower salaries and your saving power would be roughly on a par. Unless it's in Europe, where your salary (in dollar terms) will be actually higher.

3rd option: get an MBA from a very good school (I'd say Ultraelite or Elite, but don't quote me as it's just my guess) and employers will make sure they get you to work for them one way or the other: either in the US or in other places for short periods of time will waiting on the lottery, etc. or any other arrangement.

L.

Regardig the 2nd point, some kinds of jobs pay almost the same around the globe, Consulting and IB are examples, off course that someone in NYC will earn more than his colleague in Sao Paulo or Buenos Aires, but still the total earnings is no that different.

I have no doubt that London will flourish even more with UK migrant policies, I've heard that for some kinds of finance business it is already ahead of NYC. I just wonder whether US companies put o little more effort on visas for W/H/S/C graduates? Any thoughts?
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 233 [0]
Given Kudos: 6
Concentration: Finance (Corp Fin, Financial Instruments)
Schools:NYU Stern 2009
Send PM
[#permalink]
Don't be deceived why London is ahead. London is ahead through IPOs mainly, and that is because the UK doesn't have any interest in Accountancy stupidity like Sarbanes Oxley. As soon as the US realises that SOX is the source of all the problems, it will resolve it.

I doubt the effort is for ultra-elite school grads, more elite candidates. While those two sometimes run hand in hand, it shouldn't and won't always be the case.
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 251 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
Terrible story... I really dislike to see this sort of thing happening for an administrative document... No more comment, just sad.
GMAT Club Bot
[#permalink]