Last visit was: 23 Apr 2024, 16:34 It is currently 23 Apr 2024, 16:34

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 30 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 30 [0]
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Send PM
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 308 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Concentration: Health Care Marketing
Schools:Ross '10
Send PM
[#permalink]
mNeo, I suggested on the other thread that you get expert advice from an experienced immigration attorney. I know the pain of going through the GC process and know whats at stake. Please do not take your chances based on well-meant advice given by others(including me). Fork over some money and get some good legal sense.
mNeo wrote:
okay, I heard that once your I485 is pending for 6 months, then you can legally reside in the US even without a job (Unless your I485 is rejected). This makes my situation much simpler than I thought. Is this all correct?

And in what cases does the I485 get rejected? My medicals are done. So as long as I don't have a criminal record, I am good?
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
Hey MNeo......I dont know jack **** abt Visa regulations.......but your profile is awesome......hence for purely personal reasons I hope you decide to defer your apps.......ok ok.....I'm just being selfish. let me start my community service by wishing you well......
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 10 [0]
Send PM
Defer your admits .. [#permalink]
I just came back after talking to an immigration attorney (and of course paying him big bucks for this). This is what I learnt:

- One cannot study full time and have no job on his EAD, the AOS has to be approved for that to happen. you have to have atleast a part time job with the same job description while you are studying full time.
- In the current scenario - no one knows what the processing times of AOS are going to be (uusually, it takes anywhere between 8 - 12 months to get approoved). If your I140 has not been approved yet, add a couple of months as well...if your name is a common indian name ..add some time for background checks ..(but hey, all processing time estimates are speculations, who thought they could even bring the priority dates to all current ....)
- There is no promise of any extra resources for the USCIS to fasten the processing of applications...

So - if you can, file your AOS and defer your admits.

There is another option, if you are on the Do-mba-go-back-to-india boat ( I have to start my mba next year 'coz HAVE to go back to India after that, I cannot delay it anymore...been here long enuff!!)
File the AOS and hope it goes through before next july. If not, withdraw the AOS and I140.
[I know it does not make sense to even file the AOS when I have to go back - I should probably do some soul searching and revisit my own priorities (India or here ??) ...but some part of me still does not want to loose the opportunity of gc, that people spend years waiting for...]
GMAT Club Bot
Defer your admits .. [#permalink]