Last visit was: 23 Apr 2024, 20:36 It is currently 23 Apr 2024, 20:36

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 618618 [28]
Given Kudos: 81563
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 618618 [0]
Given Kudos: 81563
Send PM
General Discussion
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 20 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 210 [0]
Given Kudos: 209
Concentration: Strategy, General Management
Send PM
Comets do not give off their own light but reflect light from other so [#permalink]

Conclusion

Comets don't have their own light but reflect it from other light sources. A comet's mass is estimated by its brightness. Greater the mass - more light it would reflect off of itself. New revelation by the satellite probe: Haley's comet's material is composed of material which reflects the light many times LESS per unit mass than was previously thought.
Bunuel wrote:
Comets do not give off their own light but reflect light from other sources, such as the Sun. Scientists estimate the mass of comets by their brightness: the greater a comet’s mass, the more light that comet will reflect. A satellite probe, however, has revealed that the material of which Halley’s comet is composed reflects 60 times less light per unit of mass than had been previously thought.

The statements above, if true, give the most support to which one of the following?

(A) Some comets are composed of material that reflects 60 times more light per unit of mass than the material of which Halley’s comet is composed.
Passage doesn't inform us about other comet's materials. We can not be sure of this statement just from the information provided.

(B) Previous estimates of the mass of Halley’s comet which were based on its brightness were too low.
If it takes more Halley's material to reflect the amount of light that we've seen, then Halley's must be bigger than we thought. In other words, previous estimates were too low. We have to understand the causality here: ...the greater a comet’s mass, the more light that comet will reflect...

(C) The total amount of light reflected from Halley’s comet is less than scientists had previously thought.
The point of the stimulus is not that Halley's reflects less light than we thought. Rather, it reflected a certain amount of light, which, as it turns out, requires more Halley's material to reflect. Amount of light reflected is dependent on the mass, not the other way around. The causality mentioned above is important here.

(D) The reflective properties of the material of which comets are composed vary considerably from comet to comet.
We cannot be sure of this just from the information in the passage. No information regarding this.

(E) Scientists need more information before they can make a good estimate of the mass of Halley’s comet.
Since the only factor mentioned used in estimating the mass is brightness - which is correctly known now by the satellite probe, the mass could be easily determined. No more information should be necessary to make a good estimate of the Halley's comet's mass.

Hence, the Correct Answer: (B)

EDIT: Corrected the error. I was wrong in choosing (B) over (C). Thank you Arro44 for the correct explanation. To read Arro44's detailed answer to this question click here. (Don't forget to drop a Kudos while you are there. :angel: )

Originally posted by abhinav770 on 27 Jul 2018, 11:08.
Last edited by abhinav770 on 28 Jul 2018, 22:30, edited 1 time in total.
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 2427 [0]
Given Kudos: 1131
Concentration: Operations, Marketing
GPA: 3.5
Send PM
Re: Comets do not give off their own light but reflect light from other so [#permalink]
How is B the official answer to this question ?

I opted for C over B for reasoning as mentioned above :?

Can anyone provide some insights on B ?
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 733 [4]
Given Kudos: 362
Concentration: General Management, Finance
GMAT 1: 730 Q47 V44
GPA: 3.4
Send PM
Comets do not give off their own light but reflect light from other so [#permalink]
Kudos
C is a trap my friends.

The scientists didnt make any judgements about the amount of light reflected, but rather derived their calculations of the comets mass from their observations.

As they now found out the comments material is less reflective than though, which does not change anything about the reflection they were able to decet, it is likely that the commet is around 60 times heavier than originally anticipated.

Hope this explains why it is B.

Best regards,
Chris
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 265 [0]
Given Kudos: 144
GPA: 4
WE:Information Technology (Computer Software)
Send PM
Re: Comets do not give off their own light but reflect light from other so [#permalink]
I still don't understand how the official answer is B.

Hi Bunuel, do you have OE for the above question? Kindly provide your inputs. Thanks !

Posted from my mobile device
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 733 [3]
Given Kudos: 362
Concentration: General Management, Finance
GMAT 1: 730 Q47 V44
GPA: 3.4
Send PM
Kudos
Akash720 wrote:

Hi Bunuel, do you have OE for the above question? Kindly provide your inputs. Thanks !

OE from LSAT forum:

https://forum.powerscore.com/lsat/viewtopic.php?t=1804

Answer choice (A): Halley's is 60 times less reflective than previously thought, but that doesn't mean that there are materials exactly 60 times as reflective.

Answer choice (B): This is the correct answer choice. If it takes more Halley's material to reflect the amount of light that we've seen, then Halley's must be bigger than we thought. In other words, previous estimates were too low.

Answer choice (C): The point of the stimulus is not that Halley's reflects less light than we thought. Rather, it reflected a certain amount of light, which, as it turns out, requires more Halley's material to reflect.

Answer choice (D): There is no such comparison from comet to comet in the stimulus, so this answer choice is not supported by the author. The only referenced variation is between what we used to believe Halley's mass to be, and what recent discoveries suggest today about Halley's mass.

Answer choice (E): This stimulus presents a recent discovery that seems to provide the basis for a good estimate, so this answer choice is unsupported by the stimulus and incorrect.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 61 [2]
Given Kudos: 28
Send PM
Kudos
sudarshan22 wrote:

how it may be b is that...
think of the total light reflected as 600 units.
lets say they thought that this comet was made of material A, which has a light density of 60units/ kg
this would mean that it weighed 600/60= 10 kgs according to older calculations

now they have discovered that the actual light density is 60/60= 1unit/kg
the total light reflected still remains the same, i.e. 600 units
with the new density, the weight is now 600/1 = 600kgs according to new calculation
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 265 [0]
Given Kudos: 144
GPA: 4
WE:Information Technology (Computer Software)
Send PM
Arro44 wrote:
Akash720 wrote:

OE from LSAT forum:

https://forum.powerscore.com/lsat/viewtopic.php?t=1804

Answer choice (A): Halley's is 60 times less reflective than previously thought, but that doesn't mean that there are materials exactly 60 times as reflective.

Answer choice (B): This is the correct answer choice. If it takes more Halley's material to reflect the amount of light that we've seen, then Halley's must be bigger than we thought. In other words, previous estimates were too low.

Answer choice (C): The point of the stimulus is not that Halley's reflects less light than we thought. Rather, it reflected a certain amount of light, which, as it turns out, requires more Halley's material to reflect.

Answer choice (D): There is no such comparison from comet to comet in the stimulus, so this answer choice is not supported by the author. The only referenced variation is between what we used to believe Halley's mass to be, and what recent discoveries suggest today about Halley's mass.

Answer choice (E): This stimulus presents a recent discovery that seems to provide the basis for a good estimate, so this answer choice is unsupported by the stimulus and incorrect.

Thanks Chris !

This one was really confusing but now it's clear.
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 2427 [1]
Given Kudos: 1131
Concentration: Operations, Marketing
GPA: 3.5
Send PM
Kudos
rahulkashyap wrote:
sudarshan22 wrote:

how it may be b is that...
think of the total light reflected as 600 units.
lets say they thought that this comet was made of material A, which has a light density of 60units/ kg
this would mean that it weighed 600/60= 10 kgs according to older calculations

now they have discovered that the actual light density is 60/60= 1unit/kg
the total light reflected still remains the same, i.e. 600 units
with the new density, the weight is now 600/1 = 600kgs according to new calculation

Ohh that way! Now I get it.
But, questions like these may penalize you on D-Day when you see the word "Too low" in option B and zero out the option, GMAT why you no easy? :hurt:

Thanks for the explanation rahulkashyap
What would I do without nice people like you who offers such selfless help on the forum :grin: :thumbup:

Originally posted by sudarshan22 on 28 Jul 2018, 04:54.
Last edited by sudarshan22 on 29 Jul 2018, 15:50, edited 1 time in total.
Current Student
Status:He came. He saw. He conquered. -- Going to Business School -- Corruptus in Extremis
Own Kudos [?]: 5734 [1]
Given Kudos: 3054
Concentration: Finance, Economics
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
The key here is the wording, since you are not given a conclusion.

Comets do not give off their own light but reflect light from other sources, such as the Sun. Scientists estimate the mass of comets by their brightness: the greater a comet’s mass, the more light that comet will reflect. A satellite probe, however, has revealed that the material of which Halley’s comet is composed reflects 60 times less light per unit of mass than had been previously thought. -- The key here is that the comet is not getting darker, just a reinterpretation of mass-to-brightness ratio. In essence, the question is saying there is MORE material because it is less dense. We are not saying there is less density, which in turn would lead to brightness (and vice versa due to contrapositive relationship

To diagram: More light -- More mass
Less brightness per unit of mass -- less mass per unit than originally thought -- same amount of mass -- less dense material -- brightness unchanged

Great question
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 7 [0]
Given Kudos: 80
Send PM
Here brightness is linked with the comet's mass - the greater a comet’s mass, the more light that comet will reflect.

Latest evidence - the material of which Halley’s comet is composed reflects 60 times less light per unit of mass than had been previously thought.

So Halley's comet reflects less light because of the materials of which it is composed. So the estimates of the mass of the Halley's comet based of the reflection of light principle are not correct. The mass of the Halley's comet has to be greater than previously calculated.

Only option B discusses this issue correctly, so B is the answer.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 288 [0]
Given Kudos: 242
Send PM
Bunuel wrote:
Comets do not give off their own light but reflect light from other sources, such as the Sun. Scientists estimate the mass of comets by their brightness: the greater a comet’s mass, the more light that comet will reflect. A satellite probe, however, has revealed that the material of which Halley’s comet is composed reflects 60 times less light per unit of mass than had been previously thought.

The statements above, if true, give the most support to which one of the following?

(A) Some comets are composed of material that reflects 60 times more light per unit of mass than the material of which Halley’s comet is composed.

(B) Previous estimates of the mass of Halley’s comet which were base on its brightness were too low.

(C) The total amount of light reflected from Halley’s comet is less than scientists had previously thought.

(D) The reflective properties of the material of which comets are composed vary considerably from comet to comet.

(E) Scientists need more information before they can make a good estimate of the mass of Halley’s comet.

The key here is <<H’s comet reflects 60 times less light per unit of mass than previously thought.>>

Means light/mass is 60 times less than previously thought.

Means either amount of light(numerator) was smaller than they thoght or the mass (denominator) was bigger than they thought.

Voilà (B) is telling you that the denominator was actually bigger than they thought.

Do not fall for (C) “total amount of light”. The passage lends only about the amount of light/mass.

Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 8 [0]
Given Kudos: 82
Send PM
I am not really sure of studying a question like this one. Why can't the brightness change and amount of light emitted be less? Where exactly within the prompt does it say that brightness is the same? It doesn't.

So, we are to ASSUME that based on "Scientists estimate the mass of comets by their brightness..".

So, giving us a bad question with incomplete information, makes this a hard qn - really? Whatever..
Non-Human User
Own Kudos [?]: 848 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
GMAT Club Bot
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6917 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts
CR Forum Moderator
832 posts