Last visit was: 26 Apr 2024, 01:58 It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 01:58

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 728 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
CEO
CEO
Own Kudos [?]: 1538 [0]
Send PM
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 209 [0]
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 32 [0]
Send PM
Re: SC4-5 [#permalink]
What about "E" ?

"do" replaces verb "stand" and comapre two types of graphics properly.

Dharmin
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 23 [0]
Send PM
I'm afraid you have to have that tricky "do" after "than." E should be it.
CEO
CEO
Send PM
"twenty percent more likelihood" does not sound right to me. You can "increase the likelihood of" but you can't have "X% more likehood of"
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 4 [0]
Send PM
Paul: In case of "error in comparison" and "somewhat idiomatic" error which one should get the precedence(I presume that the "error in comparison" is the one that should be corrected first), as A,B,C,D all contain comparison error, and E only corrects this error by using "do".

Any suggestions?
CEO
CEO
Send PM
mba and ob, i believe you guys are right although E's structure is dubious. But yes, it is the only one that has the right structure with "do"
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 23 [0]
Send PM
Paul wrote:
mba and ob, i believe you guys are right although E's structure is dubious. But yes, it is the only one that has the right structure with "do"

Paul, I do agree that "twenty percent more likelihood" sounds kind of awkward but following up on mba's question I believe grammatical structures should take precedence.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 69 [0]
Send PM
we rarely see ETS approving use of being in GMAT, this problem must have come from now ETS source.
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 987 [0]
Send PM
first believed my ears then got the cue "..in comparison with.." is not idiomatic.

A it is
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 62 [0]
Send PM
Guys,

The correct reason why A takes precedence over E is "to stand a chance" is the coorect idiom. "liklyhood" does not go with the "stand".

This kind of questions are stupid and should be challanged with ETS. It is there descrimination as to what should take precedence. In this case they have chosen idomatic expression over the gramatical structure. In some other sentence, they will choose gramatical structure over idomatic expression. (simply autocracy)
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 62 [0]
Send PM
mba wrote:
Paul: In case of "error in comparison" and "somewhat idiomatic" error which one should get the precedence(I presume that the "error in comparison" is the one that should be corrected first), as A,B,C,D all contain comparison error, and E only corrects this error by using "do".

Any suggestions?

mba,

have you come across any questions where gramatical structure has taken precedence over idomatic expression? Why do you say that the comparison error should be corrected before the idiom errors? I am trying to formulate a rule on whether to correct idiomatic expression first or the gramatical structure error first.

Archived Topic
Hi there,
This topic has been closed and archived due to inactivity or violation of community quality standards. No more replies are possible here.
Where to now? Join ongoing discussions on thousands of quality questions in our Sentence Correction (EA only) Forum
Still interested in this question? Check out the "Best Topics" block above for a better discussion on this exact question, as well as several more related questions.
Thank you for understanding, and happy exploring!
GMAT Club Bot
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6921 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts
Current Student
278 posts