Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 13:49 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 13:49

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 32 [17]
Given Kudos: 35
Send PM
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 618803 [2]
Given Kudos: 81588
Send PM
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 1857 [3]
Given Kudos: 200
Concentration: Strategy, International Business
GPA: 3.67
WE:Pharmaceuticals (Health Care)
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Re: The first balloon passengers were a sheep, a duck, and a rooster that [#permalink]
Mahmoudfawzy83 wrote:
(A) The first balloon passengers were a sheep, a duck, and a rooster that were ascended
should be in active voice

(B) The first balloon passengers were a sheep, a duck, and a rooster that ascended
correct verb

(C) A sheep, a duck, and a rooster were the first balloon passengers that ascended
correct grammar, but altered meaning.

(D) A sheep, a duck, and a rooster were the first balloon passengers to ascended
"to" should be followed by infinitive

(E) a duck, and a rooster were the first balloon passengers ascending
altered meaning

Can you explain in more depth about the meaning changing in C please?

Posted from my mobile device
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 9 [0]
Given Kudos: 12
GMAT 1: 690 Q50 V36
GPA: 3.94
Send PM
Re: The first balloon passengers were a sheep, a duck, and a rooster that [#permalink]
(B) The first balloon passengers were a sheep, a duck, and a rooster that ascended ==> correct use.

Answer is (B)
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 32 [0]
Given Kudos: 35
Send PM
Thanks for your reply. I have one more question "that" does not only modify a rooster?
[/color]

Mahmoudfawzy83 wrote:
(A) The first balloon passengers were a sheep, a duck, and a rooster that were ascended
should be in active voice

(B) The first balloon passengers were a sheep, a duck, and a rooster that ascended
correct verb -> "that" does not only modify a rooster?

(C) A sheep, a duck, and a rooster were the first balloon passengers that ascended
correct grammar, but altered meaning.

(D) A sheep, a duck, and a rooster were the first balloon passengers to ascended
"to" should be followed by infinitive

(E) a duck, and a rooster were the first balloon passengers ascending
altered meaning
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 24 [0]
Given Kudos: 19
GMAT 1: 650 Q39 V40
GMAT 2: 660 Q44 V37
GPA: 2.91
Send PM
I'm a little stuck on how C is wrong.

We have:

A sheep, a duck, and a rooster (the noun and subjects) were the first balloon passengers (descriptive modifier right?) that ascended (correct verb)

I just don't see it. its parallel, subjects agree with tense and verb is in correct froml. Help please.
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 1857 [3]
Given Kudos: 200
Concentration: Strategy, International Business
GPA: 3.67
WE:Pharmaceuticals (Health Care)
Send PM
Kudos
MWithrock wrote:

We have:

A sheep, a duck, and a rooster (the noun and subjects) were the first balloon passengers (descriptive modifier right?) that ascended (correct verb)

I just don't see it. its parallel, subjects agree with tense and verb is in correct froml. Help please.

C is grammatically correct, but SC cares about both the grammar and the meaning.

C says: A sheep, a duck, and a rooster were the first balloon passengers that ascended from Versailles, France, in a basket beneath a hot-air balloon in September 1783.

which means that a sheep, a duck, and a rooster were the first passengers to launch from Versailles, but there may be other passengers before them who launched from other places other than Versailles.

While the main passage says that the first passengers (of all times) to ride the balloon were a sheep, a duck, and a rooster.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 24 [1]
Given Kudos: 19
GMAT 1: 650 Q39 V40
GMAT 2: 660 Q44 V37
GPA: 2.91
Send PM
Kudos
Mahmoudfawzy83 wrote:
MWithrock wrote:

We have:

C is grammatically correct, but SC cares about both the grammar and the meaning.

C says: A sheep, a duck, and a rooster were the first balloon passengers that ascended from Versailles, France, in a basket beneath a hot-air balloon in September 1783.

which means that a sheep, a duck, and a rooster were the first passengers to launch from Versailles, but there may be other passengers before them who launched from other places other than Versailles.

While the main passage says that the first passengers (of all times) to ride the balloon were a sheep, a duck, and a rooster.

Now I see. dang nabbit.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 71 [1]
Given Kudos: 79
GMAT 1: 710 Q50 V35 (Online)
Send PM
Kudos
A should be answer.

Reason a sheep, a duck, and a rooster cannot themselves ascend. These noun cannot perform the act of "ascend.".

These have to take passive structure

(Problem with E is that it misses the sheep)
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 3 [0]
Given Kudos: 98
Send PM
Should A not be the answer?

The animals could not have ascended on their own and so, should A not be correct becasue of the usage of 'WERE' ?
Target Test Prep Representative
Affiliations: Target Test Prep
Own Kudos [?]: 5136 [2]
Given Kudos: 1431
GMAT 1: 800 Q51 V51
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
neelugarg33 wrote:

The animals could not have ascended on their own and so, should A not be correct becasue of the usage of 'WERE' ?

"To ascend" means "to go up." So, you can't ascend something in the way "ascend" is used in (A). In other words, you could not "go up" the animals, and the animals would not be "gone up."

So, "were ascended" in (A), which means "were gone up," is nonsensical.

The use of "ascended" in (B) makes sense. While the animals did not actively make use of the balloon to ascend, they did indeed ascend.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 7 [0]
Given Kudos: 5
Send PM
MartyTargetTestPrep wrote:
neelugarg33 wrote:

"To ascend" means "to go up." So, you can't ascend something in the way "ascend" is used in (A). In other words, you could not "go up" the animals, and the animals would not be "gone up."

So, "were ascended" in (A), which means "were gone up," is nonsensical.

The use of "ascended" in (B) makes sense. While the animals did not actively make use of the balloon to ascend, they did indeed ascend.

Hi Expert, can you help?

In B, What "That ascended..." modifies to?

Is it modifies the roaster or it modifies a sheep, a duck , and a rooster? I believe that the intended meaning is that "That ascended..." should modify all animals.

So, in B we have 2 meanings? Can B be the correct answer?
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 48 [1]
Given Kudos: 516
GMAT 1: 710 Q49 V38
GMAT 2: 680 Q49 V33
Send PM
Kudos
Hi,
I don't understand how B conveys the intended meaning.
So we have a duck , a sheep and a "rooster that ascended from France" together on the first balloon?
Or was the balloon ascended from France?
"That" modifies the noun just preceding it and in this case...
Well, please help me out!!
:D
GMATNinja, abhimahna, chetan2u
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
Given Kudos: 372
GPA: 3.5
Send PM
Hi,

My 2 cents,

Option B corrects the double "were" error in the original sentence. Option B clearly conveys that the first Air Baloon passengers were a Sheep, a Duck, and a Rooster that.........

Option C is good, it could have been the right answer if the order was different.
Option C states that A Sheep, a Duck and a Rooster were the first Balloon passengers that ascended from Versailles, France, in a basket beneath a hot-air balloon in September 1783.

The meaning of the initial sentence is that the Duck, Sheep etc were the first Air Balloon passengers ever!!
Option C states that these 3 animals were the first to ascend from Versailles.

It changes the meaning completely.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [0]
Given Kudos: 62
Send PM
The author is referring to the first passengerS, who ascended first, not who ascended from France only.
This eliminated CDE
Between A & B , i have considered B as they ascended instead of were ascended.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 10 [0]
Given Kudos: 40
Concentration: Strategy, General Management
WE:General Management (Consulting)
Send PM
MahmoudFawzy wrote:
MWithrock wrote:

We have:

This makes sense, Thanks !
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 3 [0]
Given Kudos: 702
Send PM
avinashiitp wrote:
A should be answer.

Reason a sheep, a duck, and a rooster cannot themselves ascend. These noun cannot perform the act of "ascend.".

These have to take passive structure

(Problem with E is that it misses the sheep)

I have the same doubt. Experts are requested to clarify.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Given Kudos: 158
Send PM
MahmoudFawzy wrote:
MWithrock wrote:

We have:

Hello Expert,

I don't understand why I need to consider 'there may be other passengers before them who launched from other places other than Versailles.' only in C and not B. What makes the difference here? The only difference I see between B and C is that the relative pronoun(that) modifies the different subjects (it modifies a sheep, a duck, and a rooster in B and the first passengers in B). But this difference is very subtle for me. Please help.
GMAT Club Bot
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6920 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts