Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 13:57 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 13:57

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 291 [13]
Given Kudos: 0
Concentration: Investment Banking
Schools:Chicago (dinged), Tuck (November), Columbia (RD)
Send PM
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Affiliations: HHonors Diamond, BGS Honor Society
Own Kudos [?]: 3083 [0]
Given Kudos: 7
Schools: Chicago (Booth) - Class of 2009
GMAT 1: 730 Q45 V45
WE:Business Development (Consumer Products)
Send PM
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 291 [0]
Send PM
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 34 [0]
Schools:Chicago Booth 2010
Send PM
Re: Popular B-schools - Pros & Cons [#permalink]
rhyme wrote:
I cringe every time I see this blog post - and it never seems to die - cause its just completely made up, and although I'd like to think that people realize that... im sure some don't.

ive always thought it was good humor

anyway, i thought this post was going to be about real pros & cons, which would be interesting discussion
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 698 [1]
Given Kudos: 14
Concentration: Technology, Entrepreneurship, Digital Media & Entertainment
Schools:UC Berkeley Haas School of Business MBA 2010
 Q51  V41
GPA: 3.9 - undergrad 3.6 - grad-EE
WE 1: Social Gaming
Send PM
Kudos
I couldn't stop laughing reading this! Wonderful find terp (Kudos)!

It's over the top, but surprisingly "spot on" with many of the observations (at least the stereotypes of each school). We all know it's not completely true (I love the "need a permissions slip to hold a woman's hand" for Haas :P), but that's the stereotype out there. Awesome! Super funny! :lol:
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 806 [1]
Given Kudos: 5
Concentration: General/Operations Management
Schools:Kellogg Alum: Class of 2010
 Q49  V42
Send PM
Kudos
This seems to get posted every few months on BW. Its pretty funny...I think the funniest thing about it is how offended some people are to read about their schools.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 698 [0]
 Q51  V41
Send PM
I can see how people can get offended, but it's all in good humor, as long as you keep that in mind. :wink:
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 9 [4]
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
I'll start with Wharton...5 things I like most and 5 things I like the least. I am going there, so it's subjective.

Pros:
1) Part of the "Holy Trinity" (H/W/S)
2) Awesome facilities, integrated within the wider campus
3) Career placement and alumni network are unparalleled, including internationally
4) Probably the most well-rounded, strong curriculum of any b-school
5) No, your classmates won't all be 24 years old

Cons:
1) Generally a backup for HBS rejects
2) It's in Philly, not Boston
3) Very large, more impersonal than Stanford
4) You don't sit on your ass and drink as much as they do in Palo Alto or Evanston
5) Girls in your class are in their late 20s/early 30s
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 34 [4]
Schools:Chicago Booth 2010
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
Chicago GSB

Pros:
1) Academic reputation, history
2) Down to earth students
3) One of the best facilities out there
4) Flexible curriculum, and individualistic nature
5) Career services seem very strong

Cons:
1) Size... although the FT class isn't that big, the GSB has 3300 students, which makes it the biggest of all top schools in graduate population. I'm afraid the school will become overextended with so many different programs.
2) School loyalty/endowment seems to lag behind other top schools
3) Weak network in West coast and Asia
4) Weather
5) Less brand cachet than H/S/W, and possibly K among laymen
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 291 [5]
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
Well, here's a totally unbiased one, as I'm a Fall '09 applicant. It's the only school that I've gotten to know intimately so far.

UCLA Anderson

Pros:
1) If you want to be in Southern California, there is arguably no school with a stronger alumni network or placements. Most alumni tend to stay in SoCal after graduation, and therefore the depth of the network/ties that you can form with them are much stronger than an alumni network that is spread out all over the world.
2) Strong placements in Investment Banking, very possible and doable to break into California PE/VC
3) Very strong programs in Media/Entertainment and Entrepeneurship. Lots of VCs and an entrepeneurial infrastructure in SoCal to assist with the launch of new ventures.
4) Team-oriented culture. A lot of students come here to have fun - and they do.
5) Gorgeous facilities and gorgeous campus. Lots of other graduate programs and graduate student population to interact with. Located in arguably the best neighborhood in LA to be a 20-something. Tons of restaurants/nightlife within striking distance and Bel-Air/Beverly Hills down the road to motivate you to do well :)
6) "Private School Education at a Public School Price". Tuition & Fees (as of 10/15/07) run $32,000/year for California residents - a real bargain for the quality of this school.

Cons:
1) Very weak alumni network outside of California. If you want to work on the East Coast, you're better off going to an M7. If you want to work in Northern California, you're probably better off going to Haas.
2) There are a lot of students that come here just to have a 2-year vacation in LA. A lot of your classmates may not be very driven or concise in their career goals and direction.
3) The Admissions Office and process leaves a lot to be desired. They are unorganized.
4) The website does not do the school justice. It is one of the weakest websites out of any UE/E school.
5) It is a public school after all. The brand name is not as strong as H/S/W/C/K and you will have to work hard to get into a Big 3 consulting firm or Bulge Bracket bank. It won't be handed to you.
6) As the stereotype above mentioned, there are a lot of plastic people in LA. It's a very materialistic and vain culture compared to most of the United States. If you can either laugh at it or be a part of it - you'll be alright.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 806 [4]
Given Kudos: 5
Concentration: General/Operations Management
Schools:Kellogg Alum: Class of 2010
 Q49  V42
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
Kellogg...(remember all opinion/stereotypes)

Pros:
1) Student body: Extremely friendly and team oriented. I must say of all the schools I visited, Kellogg had the most enthusiastic and outgoing group of students.
2) Soft Skills: This is an area that is a common complaint many recruiters have with MBA grads of lots of schools...great quant/analytical abilities but fall short in people and teamwork skills. Kellogg may not make you into a stellar quant jock but at least you wont have a rep of being hyper competitive and lacking social skills.
3) Family Friendly: Relative to almost every other program, Kellogg has a very high percentage of students who are married or bring significant others with them to skill. Spouses are treated almost like students...they can audit any class (with prof OKing it), join all the clubs not just the significant other club, go on all trips including class trips (where they get to have all the fun but dont have to do any of the work).
4): Recruiting: Like all top schools tons of recruiters will show up. Kellogg students do tend to go to a much broader set of companies and positions than at most other top schools. Despite being known as a Marketing school, more students go into MC rolls and just as many go into Finance rolls. Students rave about the career service people but once again this is probably common at almost every top school.
5) Location: Evanston is a very nice place, and is a very short distance to downtown Chicago. It is definitely NOT a commuter school, almost all students live in a very small area, so you are going to see your classmates all the time just walking around and pretty much everywhere you go. Also almost everyone lives within walking distance of the school which is nice.
6) Long Term Stability: Has long been regarded as a top 5 school for a long time and never really has fallen that far in rankings. Kellogg does have the 3rd largest endowment only behind HBS and Stanford (actually has more than Wharton surprisingly)

Cons:
1) Soft Rep: Has a reputation of being academically easier than other schools. You can take turbo courses if you want but personally I would rather focus my time on classes I really want and these arent going to be turbo fin or something like that. (elhajoui's cons for Wharton illustrates folks having this view of K being soft)
2) Weather: Very few of the top 10 schools are located in nice sunny warm areas (Stanford and Haas) but Chicago is probably the toughest weather outside of Hanover NH.
3) International Rep: Has an OK name, not one the common person would know but there are grads around the world and its well known in business.
4) Facilities: Must be said if you visit the other school in Chicago and compare it to Kellogg there is no way you can like Kelloggs facilities. They werent the worst I saw but definitely arent that great. They are functional but not impressive like some schools. They are working towards building a new school but unless you are applying in several more years it wont be there for you...
5) Financial Aid: About the only complaint I have heard about the school and its faculty is about the financial aid folks. Its not anything that would turn me off with the school but be prepared to be slightly frustrated.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 698 [4]
 Q51  V41
Send PM
Kudos