Last visit was: 18 May 2024, 04:57 It is currently 18 May 2024, 04:57
Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 1683 [0]
Given Kudos: 210
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Send PM
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 701 [0]
Given Kudos: 14
Concentration: Technology, Entrepreneurship, Digital Media & Entertainment
Schools:UC Berkeley Haas School of Business MBA 2010
 Q51  V41
GPA: 3.9 - undergrad 3.6 - grad-EE
WE 1: Social Gaming
Send PM
[#permalink]
Cookiemonster, where is "everywhere?"

So far from reading this entire forum, a ton of blogs of people who made all the top schools, and all the different MBA admission books, they all discount the GMAT score as something that will only hurt you, but won't help you dramatically. They all point to the essays as the key (in addition to having the experience to back it up, of course).
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 806 [0]
Given Kudos: 5
Concentration: General/Operations Management
Schools:Kellogg Alum: Class of 2010
 Q49  V42
Send PM
[#permalink]
People with 800s get rejected by schools so obviously it can't be the most important thing. That said it definitely wont hurt you to take it again if you are confident you can improve your score...it would be worth not going up much if you can bump your Q up at the cost of a little V.

With a GPA that is going to fall towards the low end you do need a GMAT that is above the average to help balance that out. You are Asian and a computer guy...both go against you but you are a canadian citizen which might help a little. Honestly if I were in your shoes I may go for it again to bring the Q up but also since the higher you get it the more it will help to offset your GPA.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
[#permalink]
kryzak wrote:
Cookiemonster, where is "everywhere?"

So far from reading this entire forum, a ton of blogs of people who made all the top schools, and all the different MBA admission books, they all discount the GMAT score as something that will only hurt you, but won't help you dramatically. They all point to the essays as the key (in addition to having the experience to back it up, of course).

Hmm, didn't know that. I guess I better really take these essays seriously.
Can you revcommend a mba admissions book?
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 701 [0]
Given Kudos: 14
Concentration: Technology, Entrepreneurship, Digital Media & Entertainment
Schools:UC Berkeley Haas School of Business MBA 2010
 Q51  V41
GPA: 3.9 - undergrad 3.6 - grad-EE
WE 1: Social Gaming
Send PM
[#permalink]
"How to get into the Top MBA Schools" - Richard Montauk

Check out the B-school application forum, lots of good recommendations.
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 1683 [0]
Given Kudos: 210
Send PM
[#permalink]
You are right, the GMAT is pretty important, BUT only to a certain extent. Once you get to the average score for your desired university (710 is good for most top universities) , your essays and how you present yourself take precedence.

CookieMonster wrote:
bsd_lover wrote:
Its a decent score. Dont bother. I am finding that GMAT is the easier part of MBA school application. The essays are far more time consuming and equally critical part of the application. Have a look at the essays.

I have read everywhere that the GMAT is much more important than the essays, and in my opinion it should be.

am i missing something?
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 41 [0]
Schools:Berkeley Haas
 Q50  V44
Send PM
[#permalink]
Bad GMAT can hurt.

Good GMAT is just a pre-requisite, no bonus at all.

Stellar GMAT can attract some attention; there is a small probability that the school will want to admit you to boost their GMAT score range (not the top school, of course.)

So, overall - once you have a 700+, stop digging the GMAT and switch to telling your story via essays, recs and resume. That is MUCH more important.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 29 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
CookieMonster wrote:
bsd_lover wrote:
Its a decent score. Dont bother. I am finding that GMAT is the easier part of MBA school application. The essays are far more time consuming and equally critical part of the application. Have a look at the essays.

I have read everywhere that the GMAT is much more important than the essays, and in my opinion it should be.

am i missing something?

Being able to communicate (both in writing and speaking) your ideas effectively is critical to success in any profession. B-Schools want applicants who have at least some experience wordsmithing. Your GMAT score IS very important... but give them a 750 GMAT and a crappy essay and you won't get a second glance.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 243 [0]
 Q48  V34
Send PM
[#permalink]
riverripper wrote:
With a GPA that is going to fall towards the low end you do need a GMAT that is above the average to help balance that out. You are Asian and a computer guy...both go against you but you are a canadian citizen which might help a little. Honestly if I were in your shoes I may go for it again to bring the Q up but also since the higher you get it the more it will help to offset your GPA.

I do agree with riverripper here. You need an above average GMAT to offset your low GPA. A 740-750 is very handy in your case, ofcourse, along with good essays.
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 333 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
A 710 and a 690 isn't too dissimilar. If you take it again and receive a 780. One can't help but think that the 780 is a fluke and your true abilities are that of your average of 700.

Another words, don't bother. In the past two years, I hope you spent your time getting a promotion, gaining valuable leadership responsibility, and joining some extra curricular activity.
GMAT Club Bot
[#permalink]
Moderator:
Founder
37448 posts