Last visit was: 02 May 2024, 09:16 It is currently 02 May 2024, 09:16

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Alum
Own Kudos [?]: 51466 [20]
Given Kudos: 2326
Concentration: Leadership, General Management
Schools: Ross '20 (M)
GMAT 1: 760 Q50 V42
GMAT 2: 740 Q49 V42 (Online)
GMAT 3: 760 Q50 V42 (Online)
GPA: 3.8
WE:Marketing (Non-Profit and Government)
Send PM
Alum
Own Kudos [?]: 51466 [3]
Given Kudos: 2326
Concentration: Leadership, General Management
Schools: Ross '20 (M)
GMAT 1: 760 Q50 V42
GMAT 2: 740 Q49 V42 (Online)
GMAT 3: 760 Q50 V42 (Online)
GPA: 3.8
WE:Marketing (Non-Profit and Government)
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 3
GMAT 1: 600 Q49 V23
GPA: 3.5
Send PM
CR Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 15275 [1]
Given Kudos: 26
Schools:
GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V47
WE:Corporate Finance (Pharmaceuticals and Biotech)
Send PM
Re: V11-43 [#permalink]
Kudos
Expert Reply
Ayush Mishra wrote:
I think this is a poor-quality question and the explanation isn't clear enough, please elaborate. As per my understanding
Court held that to constitutionally discharge-
Condition -Millitary needs to prove that ...........
Therefore I am finding difficult to understand why " was required "is used .It should be " requires ".because it's a fact and ihence
need to be in simple present

For Ex- to get good score in gmat ,sachin needs to perform welll in mock test

You are right in that for universal truth, simple present needs to be used. The example you have given is a universal truth. However the statement in the question may not be a universal truth. It is possible that during the judgement it was required to prove but now it may no longer be required. Hence simple past is alright.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 0 [0]
Given Kudos: 6
Concentration: Finance, General Management
Send PM
Is this sentence correct

The court has given a judgement that, in order to discharge any service member constitutionally for aberrated orientation or conduct, the military will require to first prove that the service member’s discharge will significantly further, and will be necessary to further, the military’s interests in maintaining morale, unit cohesion, and good order and discipline in the Armed Forces.

If not please explain why in detail.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Given Kudos: 3
Send PM
Very poor explanation and very poor quality question
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 26 [0]
Given Kudos: 90
GMAT 1: 710 Q49 V38
Send PM
Can someone give detailed explanation why option D is wrong?

Posted from my mobile device
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 12 [0]
Given Kudos: 33
Send PM
sayantanc2k wrote:
Ayush Mishra wrote:
I think this is a poor-quality question and the explanation isn't clear enough, please elaborate. As per my understanding
Court held that to constitutionally discharge-
Condition -Millitary needs to prove that ...........
Therefore I am finding difficult to understand why " was required "is used .It should be " requires ".because it's a fact and ihence
need to be in simple present

For Ex- to get good score in gmat ,sachin needs to perform welll in mock test

You are right in that for universal truth, simple present needs to be used. The example you have given is a universal truth. However the statement in the question may not be a universal truth. It is possible that during the judgement it was required to prove but now it may no longer be required. Hence simple past is alright.

hi,
what do you mean by universally truth?

thanks
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 16 [0]
Given Kudos: 221
GMAT 1: 620 Q43 V33
GMAT 2: 690 Q47 V38
Send PM
I don't get why D is wrong?

Example sentence: I have said in the past that, in order to get good grades, you will need to study more.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 0 [0]
Given Kudos: 22
Send PM
Can someone please help me with the elaborate explanation of this question? I am too confused.
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 301 [0]
Given Kudos: 154
GMAT 1: 720 Q49 V38
WE:Accounting (Accounting)
Send PM
Just another thought on options C and D. Can we eliminate them on the basis of "will be necessary". Going by the meaning of the sentence, it doesn't make sense to say that the charge will be necessary at a future date. I'd be happy to hear your opinion on this.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 79 [0]
Given Kudos: 266
Concentration: Strategy, Technology
GMAT 1: 560 Q48 V20
Send PM
GMATNinja genesis

can you please explain why D is wrong?
Manager
Manager