Last visit was: 07 May 2024, 16:44 It is currently 07 May 2024, 16:44

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 700 [2]
Given Kudos: 14
Concentration: Technology, Entrepreneurship, Digital Media & Entertainment
Schools:UC Berkeley Haas School of Business MBA 2010
 Q51  V41
GPA: 3.9 - undergrad 3.6 - grad-EE
WE 1: Social Gaming
Send PM
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 806 [0]
Given Kudos: 5
Concentration: General/Operations Management
Schools:Kellogg Alum: Class of 2010
 Q49  V42
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 700 [0]
 Q51  V41
Send PM
[#permalink]
So where's your blog riverripper? ;) I'd love to read it!

Good points. I think my tech experience will pop up somewhere, since it's hard to not talk about it at all as it is 5 years of my work experience. I'll probably mention within a paragraph how I was a lead modeling and simulation guy right out of grad school and have been integral to a proposal we worked on (and won) because of my technical abilities. How does that sound?

Debating whether to move this to a blog or keep it as a thread... maybe Praet can give me the pros and cons of each...
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
 Q49  V42
Send PM
[#permalink]
My blog is https://riverripper.blogspot.com/

It might be nice to get some blogs together and make a sticky at the top of everyone who has a blog relating the process and maybe a few current students would like to write some too and give another perspective. I would say write a real blog that way we dont clog the board with a bunch of people imitating you by starting threads about themselves...last thing we need are dozens of threads about peoples individual application process.
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 48 [0]
Given Kudos: 8
Concentration: Finance, Economics
Schools: HKUST MBA - Class of 2014
GMAT 1: 740 Q48 V44
GPA: 3.2
WE:Consulting (Consulting)
Send PM
[#permalink]
kryzak,
Do you know what you have started!!!!!!!!

That semi-blog of yours is going to be probably in a few application essays - quote/unquoute.

You literally gave away some good start points for the whole "why MBA", and career goals.

Thank you my friend!! Thank you!!

Just kidding.
:-D
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 30 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
On a slightly more serious note, I am worried that the points the kryzak made in the first post, and the points about alternative/nuclear energy that riverripper made in his blog may actually be copied by some poachers (More so in case of riverrippers post).

Taking riverrippers post as an example. Environmental awareness is a big deal in this century. A few lazy a**es looking for a quick theme to write their entrepreneurship essays around can just pick riverrippers points. Now, that will not be sufficient for those a**es to get in good schools (Hopefully), but that will be sufficient for the adcoms to think that perhaps some essay-editing service was recommending such themes (With these 2-3 specific sentences) to all its candidates .. which may hurt riverripper's application unnecessarily (Assuming riverripper's essays also end up mentioning the same nuclear energy theme knowingly or unknowingly).

Maybe I am getting paranoid for no reason (Thank you very much, Black Sabbath :evil: ) .. but I still would want to limit my postings on a publicy accessible platform. We can trust that the small community that we've formed here will never try to harm each other .. but we can't say the same about the one-time visitors.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 308 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Concentration: Health Care Marketing
Schools:Ross '10
Send PM
[#permalink]
mNeo wrote:
On a slightly more serious note, I am worried that the points the kryzak made in the first post, and the points about alternative/nuclear energy that riverripper made in his blog may actually be copied by some poachers (More so in case of riverrippers post).

Taking riverrippers post as an example. Environmental awareness is a big deal in this century. A few lazy a**es looking for a quick theme to write their entrepreneurship essays around can just pick riverrippers points. Now, that will not be sufficient for those a**es to get in good schools (Hopefully), but that will be sufficient for the adcoms to think that perhaps some essay-editing service was recommending such themes (With these 2-3 specific sentences) to all its candidates .. which may hurt riverripper's application unnecessarily (Assuming riverripper's essays also end up mentioning the same nuclear energy theme knowingly or unknowingly).

Maybe I am getting paranoid for no reason (Thank you very much, Black Sabbath :evil: ) .. but I still would want to limit my postings on a publicy accessible platform. We can trust that the small community that we've formed here will never try to harm each other .. but we can't say the same about the one-time visitors.

I was thinking the same. While it is admirable to share thoughts and ideas with a larger audience, we need to make sure that we dont shoot ourself in the foot by disclosing information personal to our application. General advice and tips are fine, but we need to draw a line somewhere.

river, you should re-consider what you post on the blog.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
 Q49  V42
Send PM
[#permalink]
Maybe I should get a live journal and only let friends read it haha. I have to figure out if there is a way to limit who reads certain posts I guess. I never really thought about people being scummy enough to steal ideas. I wasn't planning on posting essays or themes more of experiences with the whole thing. That first one might have been to detailed on why I want an MBA though.

Thanks for the advice guys.
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 48 [0]
Given Kudos: 8
Concentration: Finance, Economics
Schools: HKUST MBA - Class of 2014
GMAT 1: 740 Q48 V44
GPA: 3.2
WE:Consulting (Consulting)
Send PM
[#permalink]
Guys,

Chances are that some of the stuff will get copied - theres no stopping that, but hopefully the creators of these ideas are miles ahead in terms of creating essays.

This forum is live ammo for ideas - original or copied.

I guess people who are comfortable sharing opinions among themselves can just pm each other - a bit tedious, but it keeps the family jewels offline.

:lol:
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
 Q51  V41
Send PM
[#permalink]
thanks for the link riverripper!

aviroop, mNeo, and ncprasad, good points. I know there's a risk of one-time visitors stealing ideas and sentences off these posts, and I WILL be careful. I debated this quite a bit, but I think my "themes" will not be enough for someone to "steal", just because it's a summary of MY experiences. If someone out there is an engineer who just happens to love tennis, play the violin, ran an intern program, is an advisor for their alma mater's engineering society, and is applying R1 to the three schools I'm applying to, then our essays will be similar no matter what we do. Otherwise, can you imagine riverripper writing about playing tennis or me wanting to do alternative energy entrepreneurship? ;)

Someone will probably steal a piece here or there, but it's the OVERALL package that matters, as rhyme says, like chapters in a book, right? I don't mind if someone finds a way to explain their "Why MBA?" essay by using their experiences in a small group environment; there are probably dozens of people who will use that as an example, but do they also play tennis or teach children astronomy? Probably not (at least I hope not). I guess what they say in books and what all the people who applied said is correct, write about your own story, and let the adcom determine if it's "unique" or not. ;) rhyme also mentioned in his old thread that it's probably not a good idea to trade essays with each other, since if anyone intentionally or unintentionally copied a sentence into an essay, it'll land both people in a world of hurt trying to explain why they talked about the same thing the same way.

Anyway, like riverripper, most of my other posts will be updates on where I am on the essays, where I'm getting stuck, and trying to find inspiration from our small group of friends here. Speaking of "stealing" ideas, we're all probably guilty of "stealing" suggestions made by the likes of rhyme, pelihu, aau, and others who help us understand how to answer some of the most common essay questions, right? ;)

Alright, Praet, Hjort, or any other CEOs, if you think this thread is going to spam the boards, let me know and I can move it to a blog. Also, I would love to hear your comments on whether this will be a "risk" to my application due to others copying it or not... thanks!
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 30 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
kryzak, I must say that my concern was more about riverripper's detailed post on his thoughts on the nuclear energy. Your posts on this thread have not been too personal (At least so far), so I don't think that anybody can really copy what you've mentioned.

But if riverripper wants to discuss his thoughts on nuclear energy and how he plans to counter the points against nuclear waste in the MBA applications, then he should not post that information in his blogs at such details.

Since both you and riverripper have already thought about it, and are making sure that you do not post very personal details, I think I need not worry. I can sleep in peace at last :wink:
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
 Q51  V41
Send PM
[#permalink]
Thanks for looking out for us, mNeo! :)
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
Here's mine:

https://hbsobsessed.blogspot.com

(I need to spam it because I have a total of like... 2 visitors. Hella is slow to adding me to the MBA blog list. When I seek feedback via comments, I usually get... nothing. So please go visit it!! I like to delude myself into thinking that I write well, so I hope you find it entertaining)
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
hey guys,

kryzak an river gr8 posts .......an yes I agree with the Ozzy fan that its good to be a lil paranoid.......but all the same, I am pretty sure the stealers an the poachers will be more the "Pheonix Online B-School" variety. I really doubt if any direct competitor will copy paste stuff. Get ideas - yes, but then again, who among us gmatclubbers can say they have not benifitted from someone else's posts.

That been said - I know enough ppl who despite having 750's are actually concocting stories of social work. I have half a mind to rat em out
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
sangoman wrote:
That been said - I know enough ppl who despite having 750's are actually concocting stories of social work. I have half a mind to rat em out

What do you mean by "concocting"? If they claim to do something that they didn't actually do, they will be found out. If they have done social work, but it isn't their main passion, tehre is nothing wrong with marketing their previous accomplishments anyway they want.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
 Q49  V42
Send PM
[#permalink]
beny wrote:
sangoman wrote:

What do you mean by "concocting"? If they claim to do something that they didn't actually do, they will be found out. If they have done social work, but it isn't their main passion, tehre is nothing wrong with marketing their previous accomplishments anyway they want.

I think a lot of people are afraid to just be themselves since the view is that everyone else applying is also extremely well qualified and they don't want to do anything to risk their chance of getting in. You have those that think they are above the law and are so great that they can do whatever they want, ie lie or claim credit for things they aren't really responsible for. You have those who are afraid they aren't good enough so they embellish or just plain make up experiences. Both can come back to hurt you if caught but a lot of people aren't caught. The issue with it is that if its not the real experiences and its not 100% accurate it can be hard for people to write convincingly about it. Essays shouldn't be creative writing.

Also if you are too perfect of a candidate it can come across as being fake or not an accurate picture of a person. There is a fine line between being the perfect person for a school and thinking you are perfect and letting the school know that. I think a slightly more humble honest approach is going to be a lot better than thinking you are going to be god's gift to the school or feeling inadequate and having to make up tales or embellish who you really are. With so many executives being caught and arrested doing illegal things schools are placing a lot of stock in bringing in ethical people who have enough integrity to not lie or embellish.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
 Q51  V41
Send PM
Alright, Outlines done, but already close to word limit! [#permalink]
Alright, got my Haas outlines done... wasn't as painful as I thought. Tried to really look at all the themes I wanted to talk about, showing that I had leadership potential yet also can be a great team player, and mentioned some important logical steps in my motivation to acquire an MBA. Also had a strong "Why Haas?" and "what can i contribute" section for my conclusion of the long essay (the Why MBA? essay).

now I just need to let it sit overnight and re-read it tomorrow morning for some revisions. Then the draft on Sunday.

Now I see what all y'all are talking about the word limits... I'm at 75-80% of the word limit for all my Haas essays JUST WITH THE OUTLINE... oh boy...

And I couldn't find a place to really talk about my community service/volunteering in the essay questions... I guess I'll elaborate in the supplemental questions section.

Whew, I'm less stressed now...
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
 Q51  V41
Send PM
[#permalink]
(reposted from another thread)

Today, I was proud of myself for a sudden realization (with the help of an entrepreneur muse friend of mine) of how to write my intro and conclusion paragraphs for my goals essay for Haas. Right now it's like hot Biryani, tasty and great... we'll see how bad it smells tomorrow. I went off to a friend's housewarming party in a very jolly mood, and recited my entire goals essay to a close friend and he thought it made logical sense and was well thought out.

Now, the problem is, the rest of the essays are in outline form, though I'm already at 1800+ words for a 1000 word essay!!! In OUTLINE form! I guess that's better than not having things to say. Elements of Style, here I come! ;)

I'll spend Sunday trimming down my outlines and filling out paragraphs (in very very bad grammar) so that I can get my 1st draft out. As I mentioned in avi's "how many drafts" post, I'll probably do two drafts, a review, 2 more drafts, another review, and 2 final drafts, final review. so 6-7 versions if necessary. Maybe I'm being too optimistic, but other than minor grammar things and such, and the major revisions between reviews, I don't see why one needs to write that much. Then again, I do appreciate Haas' essay format with multiple questions. I don't have to worry about what order to talk about my themes.

Any thoughts?
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
 Q51  V41
Send PM
[#permalink]
Just finished my optional essay outline, I'm pretty excited that I found a place to talk about my volunteering work and a way to connect my passions for some of my hobbies with my passion for teaching/mentoring. Listed 2 major examples and a couple smaller ones, and linked it to a different kind of leadership than ones where you lead a work team or a group of people. I think I am happy with how my Haas outlines are coming out (other than their length)... they covered every aspect of my life that I wanted them to cover, and touched upon work/extracurricular leadership, Motivations, Goals, Volunteering, and that I'm a People-person.
GMAT Club Bot
[#permalink]
 1   2