Last visit was: 29 Apr 2024, 08:23 It is currently 29 Apr 2024, 08:23

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 138 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 101 [0]
Send PM
CEO
CEO
Own Kudos [?]: 1540 [0]
Send PM
CEO
CEO
Own Kudos [?]: 515 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
Hi,

I have observed little success with students who use "speed reading" techniques- I am not saying that they will not work at all just that I have seen little in the way of positive results.

I have observed two main issues for students on the verbal sections:

1) "I speak English, how hard could it be to take an 'English' exam?"

2) "I do not speak English (well), I should not be expected to do well on any exam of this type"

For the first issue, we have all also been learning math since we were small children. However, it still makes sense to expand our learning and practice math skills intensively. However, some students have the unfortunate notion that what that they can allow their verbal skills to remain at the high school level or lapse beyond even that.

For the second issue, many of the skills of reading comprehension are not language specific. Students who are strong at reading can do well on reading tests even if they are relatively weak in the language (just as students who are weak in English can perform well on word problems in an English language math exam). Indeed, the analogy to mathematics tests is especially apt since students who are strong in math can generally get a strong sense of where a math problem is headed after reading the first few words. Many students simply "over read" reading passages, in that they fixiate on individual words but fail to grasp the overall meaning that the author is attempting to convey.

Hjort
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 11 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
Hjort...

Then what would you recommend?? Please elaborate.
You are RIGHT-ON-THE-MONEY when you said that in Math exams, for word problems, after reading just the first couple of sentences I can determine where the problem is headed and that helps me solve it fairly quickly.

I wish I could grasp the gyst of RC in the same way I do for Math word problems. You are also absolutely right when you said, people over-read the passages. How can we avoid this??

I read about your "polite conversation with a high ranking boss or elder" technique. What can you suggest in addition to that?

Your help is higly appreciated.

Thanks in advance

-BudZ
GMAT Club Bot
[#permalink]