Last visit was: 19 May 2024, 13:25 It is currently 19 May 2024, 13:25
Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 625075 [29]
Given Kudos: 81901
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
CEO
CEO
Own Kudos [?]: 5229 [5]
Given Kudos: 47
GPA: 3.12
Send PM
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 30271 [3]
Given Kudos: 799
Send PM
General Discussion
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 420 [2]
Given Kudos: 86
GMAT 1: 730 Q50 V39
GPA: 4
WE:Operations (Manufacturing)
Send PM
Re: This year, a woman has a lucrative one-year position. During this year [#permalink]
Kudos
Bookmarks
Let S be salary, then f*S was given to husband. They lived off of (1-f)*S

After investments, the account had f*S*(1+r)

Hence, as per question,

f*S*(1+r) = 2*(1-f)*S

=> f + f*r = 2 - 2*f
=> f(1+r+2) = 2

f = 2/(r+3)

Option D
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 1363 [0]
Given Kudos: 641
Concentration: Operations, Strategy
Schools: Erasmus (II)
Send PM
This year, a woman has a lucrative one-year position. During this year [#permalink]
GMATPrepNow wrote:
Bunuel wrote:
This year, a woman has a lucrative one-year position. During this year, she will give a fraction f of her salary to her husband, a private investor, to invest and they will live this year on the remainder. Through investments, her husband can turn each dollar she gives him into 1 + r, which will be deposited in a bank account. Their goal is to save & invest enough money so they can live off this money for two years following the end of the wife'sLet position. Toward this end, they want to choose f such that the amount in the account at the end of the year is twice what they lived off this year. In terms of r, what should f be?

A. 1/(r+1)

B. 2/(r+2)

C. 2/(2r+1)

D. 2/(r+3)

E. 2/(2r+3)

Let T = the woman's total salary for the year

During this year, she will give a fraction f of her salary to her husband, a private investor, to invest and they will live this year on the remainder.
So, the amount SAVED (and then given to huspand)= fT

This means the amount SPENT = T - fT (total salary minus the amount saved)
In other words, T - fT = living expenses for ONE year

Through investments, her husband can turn each dollar she gives him into 1 + r, which will be deposited in a bank account.
Many will struggle converting this info to an algebraic expression.

So, If the husband is given fT dollars, then he will turn that into fT + fTr dollars

They want to choose f such that the amount in the account at the end of the year is twice what they lived off this year. In terms of r, what should f be?
We want: (invested money) = 2(living expenses for 1 year)
Rewrite as: (fT + fTr) = 2(T - fT)
Expand right side: fT + fTr = 2T - 2fT
Divide both sides by T to get: f + fr = 2 - 2f
Add 2f to both sides: 3f + fr = 2
Factor right side: f(3 + r) = 2
Divide both sides by (3 + r) to get: f = 2/(3 + r)

Answer: D

Dear GMATPrepNow

I feel a bit confused.
Does the highlighted part in prompt have any use in formulating the equations?
Thanks
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 30271 [0]
Send PM
Re: This year, a woman has a lucrative one-year position. During this year [#permalink]
Expert Reply
Top Contributor
Mo2men wrote:
GMATPrepNow wrote:
Bunuel wrote:
This year, a woman has a lucrative one-year position. During this year, she will give a fraction f of her salary to her husband, a private investor, to invest and they will live this year on the remainder. Through investments, her husband can turn each dollar she gives him into 1 + r, which will be deposited in a bank account. Their goal is to save & invest enough money so they can live off this money for two years following the end of the wife'sLet position. Toward this end, they want to choose f such that the amount in the account at the end of the year is twice what they lived off this year. In terms of r, what should f be?

A. 1/(r+1)

B. 2/(r+2)

C. 2/(2r+1)

D. 2/(r+3)

E. 2/(2r+3)

Let T = the woman's total salary for the year

During this year, she will give a fraction f of her salary to her husband, a private investor, to invest and they will live this year on the remainder.
So, the amount SAVED (and then given to huspand)= fT

This means the amount SPENT = T - fT (total salary minus the amount saved)
In other words, T - fT = living expenses for ONE year

Through investments, her husband can turn each dollar she gives him into 1 + r, which will be deposited in a bank account.
Many will struggle converting this info to an algebraic expression.

So, If the husband is given fT dollars, then he will turn that into fT + fTr dollars

They want to choose f such that the amount in the account at the end of the year is twice what they lived off this year. In terms of r, what should f be?
We want: (invested money) = 2(living expenses for 1 year)
Rewrite as: (fT + fTr) = 2(T - fT)
Expand right side: fT + fTr = 2T - 2fT
Divide both sides by T to get: f + fr = 2 - 2f
Add 2f to both sides: 3f + fr = 2
Factor right side: f(3 + r) = 2
Divide both sides by (3 + r) to get: f = 2/(3 + r)

Dear GMATPrepNow

I feel a bit confused.
Does the highlighted part in prompt have any use in formulating the equations?
Thanks

That highlighted part tells us that the money they SAVE must be enough to last them for two years.
In other words, the amount they SAVE must be equal to two times the amount of money they SPEND in one year

Does that help?

Cheers,
Brent
SVP
SVP
Send PM
This year, a woman has a lucrative one-year position. During this year [#permalink]
GMATPrepNow wrote:

That highlighted part tells us that the money they SAVE must be enough to last them for two years.
In other words, the amount they SAVE must be equal to two times the amount of money they SPEND in one year

Does that help?

Cheers,
Brent

Dear Brent,
Thanks for your quick response. Let me open the discussion a bit.

Is there any connection of they can live off this money for two years and Toward this end, they want to choose f such that the amount in the account at the end of the year is twice what they lived off this year?? i.e is it mandatory to be twice because they an it for 2 years?

Could be the case that Toward this end, they want to choose f such that the amount in the account at the end of the year is three times what they lived off this year but Their goal is to save & invest enough money so they can live off this money for two years? In this case, on which statment should I depend to interpret it mathematically?

I hope my questions are clear to you

Thanks in advance
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Send PM
Expert Reply
Top Contributor
Mo2men wrote:
GMATPrepNow wrote:

Does that help?

Cheers,
Brent

Dear Brent,

Is there any connection of they can live off this money for two years and Toward this end, they want to choose f such that the amount in the account at the end of the year is twice what they lived off this year?? i.e is it mandatory to be twice because they an it for 2 years?

Could be the case that Toward this end, they want to choose f such that the amount in the account at the end of the year is three times what they lived off this year but Their goal is to save & invest enough money so they can live off this money for two years? In this case, on which statment should I depend to interpret it mathematically?

Thanks in advance

Great questions/points!!

There are some necessary assumptions here.
For example, we must assume that the couple wants to save exactly 2 years worth of money, otherwise the couple could save (as you suggest) 3 years worth of money, or 10 years worth, etc, which would mean there could be several correct answers.
Also, the question does not state that the couple's expenses for the next 2 years would be the SAME as the 1 year in which the wife works. Otherwise, there could be more than 1 correct answers.

Since the test-makers take every measure to avoid such ambiguity, you will not encounter this kind of question on test day.

Cheers,
Brent
SVP
SVP
Send PM
GMATPrepNow wrote:
Mo2men wrote:
GMATPrepNow wrote:

Does that help?

Cheers,
Brent

Dear Brent,

Thanks in advance

Great questions/points!!

There are some necessary assumptions here.
For example, we must assume that the couple wants to save exactly 2 years worth of money, otherwise the couple could save (as you suggest) 3 years worth of money, or 10 years worth, etc, which would mean there could be several correct answers.
Also, the question does not state that the couple's expenses for the next 2 years would be the SAME as the 1 year in which the wife works. Otherwise, there could be more than 1 correct answers.

Since the test-makers take every measure to avoid such ambiguity, you will not encounter this kind of question on test day.

Cheers,
Brent

Thanks Brent for you help. However, I have another thought or assumption.

The most important condition in the prompt is:Toward this end, they want to choose f such that the amount in the account at the end of the year is twice what they lived off this year. If you do not have this statement: they can live off this money for two years. Would this affect you calculation or mathematical interpretation?? I do not think at all. The couple wants to save over the year twice what they spend. Does it matter if they spend this amount over 2, 6, 10 years. This only will affect the annual spending that we can assume it is equal for sake of simplicity.

What I want to say is that this is redudant statement: The statement is useless: they can live off this money for two years.

Please correct me if I go wrong.

Thanks in advance
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Send PM
Expert Reply
Top Contributor
Mo2men wrote:

The most important condition in the prompt is:Toward this end, they want to choose f such that the amount in the account at the end of the year is twice what they lived off this year. If you do not have this statement: they can live off this money for two years. Would this affect you calculation or mathematical interpretation?? I do not think at all. The couple wants to save over the year twice what they spend. Does it matter if they spend this amount over 2, 6, 10 years. This only will affect the annual spending that we can assume it is equal for sake of simplicity.

What I want to say is that this is redudant statement: The statement is useless: they can live off this money for two years.

Thanks in advance

Arrgg! I don't know how I didn't see that ("Toward this end, they want to choose f such that the amount in the account at the end of the year is twice what they lived off this year") each time I re-read it.

On a somewhat related note, I saw this post on Reddit's Showerthoughts yesterday "You will always this read wrong" and it took me at least 7 re-reads to get it.

Now that I've read the question AGAIN, I think the original wording is fine. They want to save exactly twice as much as they spent this year.

Cheers,
Brent
SVP
SVP
Send PM
GMATPrepNow wrote:
Mo2men wrote:

Thanks in advance

Arrgg! I don't know how I didn't see that ("Toward this end, they want to choose f such that the amount in the account at the end of the year is twice what they lived off this year") each time I re-read it.

On a somewhat related note, I saw this post on Reddit's Showerthoughts yesterday "You will always this read wrong" and it took me at least 7 re-reads to get it.

Now that I've read the question AGAIN, I think the original wording is fine. They want to save exactly twice as much as they spent this year.

Cheers,
Brent

So do you agree with me about that the other statement "so they can live off this money for two years following the end of the wife's position" is redundant? or is it a must with other statement ("Toward this end, they want to choose f such that the amount in the account at the end of the year is twice what they lived off this year") to solve the question?

You actually missed my real question :)
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 30271 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
Top Contributor
Mo2men wrote:

So do you agree with me about that the other statement "so they can live off this money for two years following the end of the wife's position" is redundant? or is it a must with other statement ("Toward this end, they want to choose f such that the amount in the account at the end of the year is twice what they lived off this year") to solve the question?
You actually missed my real question :)

Ha - you're right!!!

Yes, that first piece of info is somewhat redundant.

Cheers,
Brent
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 370 [0]
Given Kudos: 52
Concentration: Accounting, Finance
GMAT 1: 650 Q45 V35
GPA: 3.9
WE:Education (Accounting)
Send PM
pushpitkc wrote:
Bunuel wrote:
This year, a woman has a lucrative one-year position. During this year, she will give a fraction f of her salary to her husband, a private investor, to invest and they will live this year on the remainder. Through investments, her husband can turn each dollar she gives him into 1 + r, which will be deposited in a bank account. Their goal is to save & invest enough money so they can live off this money for two years following the end of the wife's position. Toward this end, they want to choose f such that the amount in the account at the end of the year is twice what they lived off this year. In terms of r, what should f be?

A. 1/(r+1)

B. 2/(r+2)

C. 2/(2r+1)

D. 2/(r+3)

E. 2/(2r+3)

One of the ways to go about this question is assuming numbers

Let the value of f to be \(\frac{1}{4}\) and Woman's dollar amount income is $10000.

Now, the woman gives $2500 to her husband and he makes that initial investment ($2500)(1 + r)
The couple will have $7500 for living this year. Since they need to choose f such that the amount
will be twice what they lived off this year, they would need to save $15000

($2500)(1 + r) = $15000 -> r = $12500/$2500 = 5.

Evaluating answer options to find out which of the answer options gives \(\frac{1}{4}\) for r=5

A. 1/(r+1) = 1/6
B. 2/(r+2) = 2/7
C. 2/(2r+1) = 2/11

D. 2/(r+3) = 2/8 = 1/4 (We have a match)

Therefore, the value of f in terms of r is (2/r+3 - Option D)

I dont understand if we take Salary = 1,000, f = 500(1/2), then we will get r = 1. In that case both option A and D is right if we proceed in your way. Really confused..
Target Test Prep Representative
Affiliations: Target Test Prep
Own Kudos [?]: 22269 [0]
Given Kudos: 285
Send PM
Expert Reply
Bunuel wrote:
This year, a woman has a lucrative one-year position. During this year, she will give a fraction f of her salary to her husband, a private investor, to invest and they will live this year on the remainder. Through investments, her husband can turn each dollar she gives him into 1 + r, which will be deposited in a bank account. Their goal is to save & invest enough money so they can live off this money for two years following the end of the wife's position. Toward this end, they want to choose f such that the amount in the account at the end of the year is twice what they lived off this year. In terms of r, what should f be?

A. 1/(r+1)

B. 2/(r+2)

C. 2/(2r+1)

D. 2/(r+3)

E. 2/(2r+3)

Solution:

Let the wife’s salary be x. Then, she gives xf to her husband and they live on x(1 - f) for the year. The husband will turn xf dollars into xf(1 + r) dollars. We want xf(1 + r) to be twice x(1 - f); thus:

xf(1 + r) = 2x(1 - f)

f(1 + r) = 2(1 - f)

f + rf = 2 - 2f

3f + rf = 2

f(3 + r) = 2

f = 2/(3 + r)

So, in terms of r, f should be chosen as 2/(r + 3).

Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 22 [0]
Given Kudos: 109
Schools: IIM
Send PM
Need suggestions/explanations

By assuming numbers, when f=1/4 for some salary or f=1/5 for some salary I am getting the correct answer
but when taking f= 1/2 for ,say, salary 50 $ * 12 months , I am two right answers A and D
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 625075 [0]
Given Kudos: 81901
Send PM
Expert Reply
Can,Will wrote:
Need suggestions/explanations

By assuming numbers, when f=1/4 for some salary or f=1/5 for some salary I am getting the correct answer
but when taking f= 1/2 for ,say, salary 50 $ * 12 months , I am two right answers A and D

­For the plug-in method, it might happen that for some particular number(s), more than one option may give a "correct" answer. In this case, just pick some other numbers and check again these "correct" options only.

Hope it's clear.
GMAT Club Bot
Moderators:
Math Expert
93341 posts
Senior Moderator - Masters Forum
3137 posts