Last visit was: 27 Apr 2024, 03:35 It is currently 27 Apr 2024, 03:35

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Tags:
Find Similar Topics  Add a Tag
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Founder
Founder
Own Kudos [?]: 72896 [210]
Given Kudos: 18870
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 39 [7]
Given Kudos: 0
Concentration: Finance
GMAT 1: 760 Q51 V41
Send PM
Founder
Founder
Own Kudos [?]: 72896 [3]
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 27 [1]
Given Kudos: 22
Concentration: Healthcare, General Management
GMAT 1: 680 Q49 V34
WE:Science (Pharmaceuticals and Biotech)
Send PM
Re: Value of a Top 10 MBA [Long Post] [#permalink]
Bookmarks
bb wrote:
jmikery wrote:
Quote:
Schools do look at your compensation history to determine if you will help or weigh them down in terms of your earning potential after graduation – they are interested to have you employed as fast and as lucratively as possible after graduation as that will boost their ranking, attracting better applicants, which in turn will make ranking even better – it is a never-ending cycle.

Hi bb,

On this point, how does having a low salary pre-MBA affect your candidacy? Does it help the candidate since the school can point to someone who worked in an emerging market for $15-20k a year and say they've increased their salary 5 fold to $100k a year or do they view those guys negatively since they can choose to work in emerging markets and drag down the average salary for all graduates or once potential employers see that they made $15-20k pre-MBA, they might lowball the candidates more than they would someone who was making $70k pre-MBA

Thank you for reading the post. I don't think you need to worry comparing yourself to an Investment banker in NYC but rather someone from your own country/background. It is about comparative pool. Same rule applies to your GPA - you are judged against your peers from same/similar school.

Hi bb,

So that means if one has a relatively high salary (due to higher education or more experience) then it might work against him/her? I didn't disclose my salary in one of my applications because of this.
Founder
Founder
Own Kudos [?]: 72896 [4]
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
greenzie wrote:
Quote:

Thank you for reading the post. I don't think you need to worry comparing yourself to an Investment banker in NYC but rather someone from your own country/background. It is about comparative pool. Same rule applies to your GPA - you are judged against your peers from same/similar school.

Hi bb,

So that means if one has a relatively high salary (due to higher education or more experience) then it might work against him/her? I didn't disclose my salary in one of my applications because of this.

That point is probably a bit beyond my expertise and I would ask an admissions consultant in the Ask Admissions Consultants forum. I think a high salary may be a strength, demonstrating your accomplishment.... doubt it will cast a negative light, unless of course the entire picture of your application is not adding up (the salary is a self-reported number and technically you can put anything you want until the background check verifies it and even in that case, some countries have laws prohibiting from verifying that data)
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 11 [1]
Given Kudos: 117
GMAT 1: 680 Q45 V38
GMAT 2: 730 Q49 V42
GPA: 3.72
WE:Management Consulting (Consulting)
Send PM
Kudos
Excellent post bb.

This came at just right time when I am needing to make such a tough call.

Thanks
Founder
Founder
Own Kudos [?]: 72896 [2]
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
IgboRobinHood wrote:
Excellent post bb.

This came at just right time when I am needing to make such a tough call.

Thanks

Thank you. This is only my perspective and very much welcome a different point of view. Feel free to share your thoughts or ideas about the choice and impact of scholarship on the decision. Good Luck!
Aringo Consultant
Own Kudos [?]: 19 [10]
Given Kudos: 21
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
I am at Cornell and I would not definitely substitute HBS, Stanford, MIT, and Wharton for it even under full tuition scholarship. Perspective is everything in this game and some companies will not come to your campus if you are not in the top. This is a self-fulfilling prophecy, we have no one from MBB and MBB does not come here. Some offices come, but these are not top offices. If you come from McK, you will get into HBS, Stanford, almost everywhere. And an addition stamp will be HBS to your McK pedigree, so the cycle will always evolve to your advantage. There are still some people gaining internships for these, but anyhow it is not that easy. This is an insider's experience and impression. For others, it may be different. I am just sharing what I observe
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 19 [1]
Given Kudos: 2
GMAT 1: 750 Q50 V41
Send PM
Value of a Top 10 MBA [Long Post] [#permalink]
Kudos
[quote="bb"]

[*] Third, the loan money is disbursed around when the school starts and in 2 installments (in case you are new to student loans); if you front-load any expenses in your second year or second semester, you will have to wait for some time.[/

Could you open this a little bit please, I am new to student loans
Aringo Consultant
Own Kudos [?]: 19 [4]
Given Kudos: 21
Send PM
Value of a Top 10 MBA [Long Post] [#permalink]
Kudos
Bookmarks
Having said that, I still think that Cornell is among the best, as well hardest, in terms of the classes and MBA education. I have many friends in the top 5, so at least I can make a somewhat reasonable comparison with them. The thing is people at other schools find more time in prepping for their interviews while we are doing non-linear programming and simulations :P However, I can still say that I am content with my selection. I am just saying that if you are more into recruitment and do not want to learn too much (things that I learn may help me to get into a PhD program, but will not come in handy for a job interview, although there were times I used them interviews to brag :)), Cornell may not be the optimal choice. Lastly, I still interviewed with top high-tech and consulting companies, albeit not the best. Thanks Cornell :)
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 38 [1]
Given Kudos: 9
Concentration: Strategy, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 750 Q46 V48
GPA: 3.47
Send PM
Kudos
I'm curious, bb, how do you define the Top 10 and Top 20? They fluctuate every year and vary between rankings. So you're saying, for example, you'd only take Anderson over Haas if you had a full scholarship over Haas? And Darden over Tuck if you had a full scholarship at Darden? I am not convinced there's that much differentiation between the schools in the ~8 to ~16 range, nor between say Olin and Owen (Owen was 27 last year)
Founder
Founder
Own Kudos [?]: 72896 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
whitman wrote:
I'm curious, bb, how do you define the Top 10 and Top 20? They fluctuate every year and vary between rankings. So you're saying, for example, you'd only take Anderson over Haas if you had a full scholarship over Haas? And Darden over Tuck if you had a full scholarship at Darden? I am not convinced there's that much differentiation between the schools in the ~8 to ~16 range, nor between say Olin and Owen (Owen was 27 last year)

Thanks for reading and bring up 2 very good points. The post i wrote was quite ambitious in the sense that it is hard to speak in absoluteness but I was so sick of wishy-washy answers that I really tried to make it as concrete as possible:
1. Rankings - the latest release has been very non-typical and has undermined reputation of US news. It thew a wrench into my world and I am sticking with last year's rankings that US News confusingly titled 2016 and this year's are 2017.
2. Some of the wording was vague and I have adjusted it to read that better - in the sense that "Definitely would trade a top 10 MBA for a top 20 spot with a full scholarship" as opposed to "would only switch for a full scholarship as opposed to partial" The only one situation I can see is someone who had MBB or iBanking dream since they were 5 but not everyone in Top 5 gets those spots/jobs. It is a big gamble to play.

The question remains what is a Top 10 or a Top 20 and frankly it is a lot less clear now than a few weeks ago when I wrote this post because Top 20 was Anderson and Johnson and Top 10 was Booth, Kellogg and Tuck, but now Booth is #2, Olin is #21 and Stern is #20. So, how about we keep using last year's rankings or perhaps 5-year average...

What do you think? Do you have a table/matrix you would suggest?
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 38 [5]
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
bb, I don't have any thoughts that differ greatly from yours. I know you were trying to distill some complex calculations that incorporate a variety of factors that depend on unique situations into a basic matrix. I mostly agree that Harvard and Stanford are "just go" schools, although I would personally trade a full ride at a top 10 school for full sticker to Stanford or Harvard. Beyond those two, though, I think region and career goals plays a huge part, as you said. As you mentioned, if you're dead set on MBB or elite IB or whatever, go to the schools that give the best shot at that. As far as school breakdowns, I think of it really as being a top 9, with Haas and Tuck added to the M7, and schools 10 - 18 being roughly comparable, then 19 -30 or so being roughly comparable.

This provides an interesting proxy for what could be considered an elite business school. For McKinsey's Emerging Scholars program, you must be enrolled at one of the following schools to apply: Haas, Kellogg, Anderson, Ross, Booth, Kenan-Flagler, Columbia, Stern, Johnson, Wharton, Tuck, Stanford, Sloan, Fuqua, Darden, Harvard, Yale

I would add McCombs probably and call those my "top 20" (really 18) schools in your matrix. I don't think a full ride is needed to go from H/S to top 9, to top 18, to top 30 or whatever. I think a full ride at Johnson would be necessary to take you away from Haas if you want to work in the bay area, but if you want to work in NYC, then Johnson might actually be the better school. I think a 30% scholarship at Anderson might be enough to sway me from Haas if I wanted work in tech/California, as they both do well. But a full-ride at Anderson would be required to sway me from Columbia to sway me from if I wanted to do MBB on the east coast.

I know you acknowledge many nuances and probably all of these. I'm typing kind of hastily as my dinner cooks and frankly am wrestling with my own choice and trying to determine where I fall in all this.

Thanks for creating the thread.
Founder
Founder
Own Kudos [?]: 72896 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
I like the discussion and where it is headed - it is great to test my table on a real situation like yours, and your points gave me an interesting idea about complicating my chart, but for now, here is a question for you - what do you think would be an equal trade between a Top 10 (e.g. Sloan/Kellogg) and Top 20 (e.g. Johnson/Anderson). Is it 25%, 33%, 50% 66% 75% or 100% scholarship - without adding any regional or employment implications (which obviously tip scales in various ways) but if we were to just crudely isolate brand-names and rankings, what would it take to get you switch from Kellogg to Johnson for example? How much would it be?
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 38 [3]
Send PM
Kudos