Last visit was: 08 May 2024, 14:06 It is currently 08 May 2024, 14:06

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Quant Chat Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 4300 [65]
Given Kudos: 1853
Concentration: Strategy, Leadership
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 2244 [22]
Given Kudos: 66
GMAT 1: 780 Q51 V45
GMAT 2: 780 Q50 V47
GMAT 3: 770 Q50 V45
Send PM
Target Test Prep Representative
Affiliations: Target Test Prep
Own Kudos [?]: 6329 [13]
Given Kudos: 1646
Send PM
General Discussion
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 240 [0]
Given Kudos: 46
Send PM
Re: Bob expected to spend a total of $9.00 to buy a given amount of pasta [#permalink]
avigutman - Can you please share a reasoning based approach to this question.
Quant Chat Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 4300 [11]
Given Kudos: 1853
Concentration: Strategy, Leadership
Send PM
Re: Bob expected to spend a total of $9.00 to buy a given amount of pasta [#permalink]
Kudos
Bookmarks
gmatophobia wrote:
Bob expected to spend a total of \($9.00\) to buy a given amount of pasta salad at a fixed price per pound. However, the price of the salad was \($0.20\) more per pound than Bob had expected. Consequently, he spent \($9.00\) and bought \(\frac{1}{2}\) pound less of the salad. How much did Bob spend per pound for the salad?

A. \($1.80 \)

B. \($1.85 \)

C. \($1.90 \)

D. \($1.95 \)

E. \($2.00 \)

We can use the options and work backward to solve this question. Let's calculate the expected price from the actual price as shown below -

Attachment:
Screenshot 2023-11-18 194320.png
Screenshot 2023-11-18 194320.png [ 54.72 KiB | Viewed 13969 times ]

I would start with Option E, as the numbers seem more friendly.

Expected Quantity (in pounds) = \(\frac{\text{9}}{\text{Expected Price}}\)

Actual Quantity (in pounds) = Expected Quantity - 0.5

The product of Actual Quantity and Actual Price should be equal to $9. As we see Option E matches. We need not test out any other options.

Attachment:
Screenshot 2023-11-18 194412.png
Screenshot 2023-11-18 194412.png [ 66.86 KiB | Viewed 13272 times ]
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 3155 [0]
Given Kudos: 9
Schools:Dartmouth College
Send PM
Expert Reply
gmatophobia wrote:
Bob expected to spend a total of \($9.00\) to buy a given amount of pasta salad at a fixed price per pound. However, the price of the salad was \($0.20\) more per pound than Bob had expected. Consequently, he spent \($9.00\) and bought \(\frac{1}{2}\) pound less of the salad. How much did Bob spend per pound for the salad?

A. \($1.80 \)

B. \($1.85 \)

C. \($1.90 \)

D. \($1.95 \)

E. \($2.00 \)

The actual price per pound and the expected price per pound yield two weights are 1/2 pound apart.
Implication:
It is extremely likely that -- when divided into the paid amount of 900 cents -- one price-per-pound will yield a weight that is an INTEGER value, while the other yields a weight that is 0.5 MORE than an integer value.

We can PLUG IN THE ANSWERS, which represent the actual price per pound.
When divided into 900 cents, options B, C and D -- 185 cents, 190 cents, and 195 cents -- will yield neither an integer value nor 0.5 more than an integer value.

Option A implies an expected price of 160 cents per pound, 20 cents less than the actual price per pound (180 cents).
When divided into 900 cents, 160 will yield neither an integer value nor 0.5 more than an integer value.
The correct answer is almost certain to be E.

E: Actual price = 200 cents per pound, expected price = 180 cents per pound
Weight purchased at the actual price \(= \frac{900-cents}{200-cents-per-pound} = 4.5\) pounds
Weight that would have been purchased at the expeced price \(= \frac{900-cents}{180-cents-per-pound} = 5\) pounds
Success!
The actual weight is 0.5 pound less than the expected weight.

GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 3994 [3]
Given Kudos: 160
GMAT 1: 690 Q50 V34
WE:Engineering (Transportation)
Send PM
Kudos
gmatophobia

Given: Bob expected to spend a total of \($9.00\) to buy a given amount of pasta salad at a fixed price per pound. However, the price of the salad was \($0.20\) more per pound than Bob had expected. Consequently, he spent \($9.00\) and bought \(\frac{1}{2}\) pound less of the salad.

Asked: How much did Bob spend per pound for the salad?

Let us assume that Bob spent $x per pound for the salad

Bob expected to purchase = $9/(x-.2) pounds
$9 = x ($9/(x-.2) - .5) = 9x/(x-.2) - .5x
9(x-.2) = 9x - .5x(x-.2)
-1.8 = -.5x^2 + .1x
5x^2 - x - 18 = 0
5x^2 - 10x + 9x - 18 = 0
5x(x-2) + 9(x-2) = 0
(5x+9)(x-2) = 0
x = 2 since x = -9/5 is not feasible

IMO E
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 72 [0]
Given Kudos: 476
Send PM
avigutman wrote:
Obscurus wrote:

Obscurus this is a rare question type for which you either have to solve a quadratic equation (which I don't recommend) or use the answer choices (the better approach in my opinion). Firstly, how to recognize this question type?

When you have the product of two positive numbers (a and b), and you're told that the same product can be reached by adding to one of the numbers and subtracting from the other [(a+x)(b-y), where x and y are positive numbers]. Importantly, we don't know the ratio a:(a+x) nor b:(b-y). If we do know one of those ratios, we can solve using a beautiful reasoning based solution.

Some other official questions in this rare category:
https://gmatclub.com/forum/a-store-curr ... 44780.html
https://gmatclub.com/forum/a-boat-trave ... ml#p778643
https://gmatclub.com/forum/at-his-regul ... 36642.html

The non-integer answer choices make this particular problem more challenging (similar to the boat problem) but we know that the GMAT isn't all that interested in testing our ability to do lots of complicated math in a 2-minute-per-question setting, so it's likely that the answer choice that's easiest to check is the correct answer choice (as is the case in both the boat question and this question).

How I approached this problem: the answer choices represent Bob's cost/pound, and I know he expected to spend 20 cents less than that. Which answer choice is easiest to subtract 20 cents from? Well, (E) looks good to me because it's easy to divide $9 by $2, and also "20 cents less" is exactly 10% below. In other words, he expected to spend 9/10 as much as he did, so he would've been able to buy 10/9 as many pounds if the price were as he expected it to be (this is me using ratios for a beautiful reasoning-based approach).

At $2/pound he bought 4.5 pounds, and 10/9 of 4.5 pounds is exactly 5 pounds - that's the 1/2 pound difference that we were expecting. Done!

Can you imagine having to divide $9 by any of the other answer choices?? It's unlikely that we'd have to do that on the GMAT (unless that was the entire question).

Thank you very much for this super explanation! I followed the same rationale however once I got 4,5 pounds and 5 pounds respectively, I did not recognize that the 0,5 difference was the 1/2 pounds less... I am still struggling with it as I am looking at it as "4,5 is not the half of 5". Apologies as I must be asking sth pretty obvious but I am unable to see the error in my rationale.
Thanks again :)
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 622240 [1]
Given Kudos: 81800
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
ruis wrote:
avigutman wrote:
Obscurus wrote:

Obscurus this is a rare question type for which you either have to solve a quadratic equation (which I don't recommend) or use the answer choices (the better approach in my opinion). Firstly, how to recognize this question type?

When you have the product of two positive numbers (a and b), and you're told that the same product can be reached by adding to one of the numbers and subtracting from the other [(a+x)(b-y), where x and y are positive numbers]. Importantly, we don't know the ratio a:(a+x) nor b:(b-y). If we do know one of those ratios, we can solve using a beautiful reasoning based solution.

The non-integer answer choices make this particular problem more challenging (similar to the boat problem) but we know that the GMAT isn't all that interested in testing our ability to do lots of complicated math in a 2-minute-per-question setting, so it's likely that the answer choice that's easiest to check is the correct answer choice (as is the case in both the boat question and this question).

How I approached this problem: the answer choices represent Bob's cost/pound, and I know he expected to spend 20 cents less than that. Which answer choice is easiest to subtract 20 cents from? Well, (E) looks good to me because it's easy to divide $9 by $2, and also "20 cents less" is exactly 10% below. In other words, he expected to spend 9/10 as much as he did, so he would've been able to buy 10/9 as many pounds if the price were as he expected it to be (this is me using ratios for a beautiful reasoning-based approach).

At $2/pound he bought 4.5 pounds, and 10/9 of 4.5 pounds is exactly 5 pounds - that's the 1/2 pound difference that we were expecting. Done!

Can you imagine having to divide $9 by any of the other answer choices?? It's unlikely that we'd have to do that on the GMAT (unless that was the entire question).

Thank you very much for this super explanation! I followed the same rationale however once I got 4,5 pounds and 5 pounds respectively, I did not recognize that the 0,5 difference was the 1/2 pounds less... I am still struggling with it as I am looking at it as "4,5 is not the half of 5". Apologies as I must be asking sth pretty obvious but I am unable to see the error in my rationale.
Thanks again :)

"1/2 pound less" does not mean half as much. So, it's not dividing by 2; it's subtracting 1/2.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 0 [0]
Given Kudos: 5
Send PM
avigutman wrote:
Obscurus wrote:

When you have the product of two positive numbers (a and b), and you're told that the same product can be reached by adding to one of the numbers and subtracting from the other [(a+[i]x)(b-y), where x and y are positive numbers]. Importantly, we don't know the ratio a:(a+x) nor b:(b-y). If we do know one of those ratios, we can solve using a beautiful reasoning based solution.

­Highly elegant and intricate explanation.

Are there people who a] are not naturally good at 'math' and b] have learnt to think and execute this stuff within the time constraints and under the exam pressure by way of GMAT preparation? If yes, please reply to this and tell me how you developed this skill. I have been preparing for the test for a long time and still can never do this in any mock or actual attempt.

Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 10 [0]
Given Kudos: 110
Send PM
Answer is wrong. should be 5x^2 +x - 18
Kinshook wrote:
gmatophobia

Given: Bob expected to spend a total of \($9.00\) to buy a given amount of pasta salad at a fixed price per pound. However, the price of the salad was \($0.20\) more per pound than Bob had expected. Consequently, he spent \($9.00\) and bought \(\frac{1}{2}\) pound less of the salad.

Asked: How much did Bob spend per pound for the salad?

Let us assume that Bob spent $x per pound for the salad

Bob expected to purchase = $9/(x-.2) pounds
$9 = x ($9/(x-.2) - .5) = 9x/(x-.2) - .5x
9(x-.2) = 9x - .5x(x-.2)
-1.8 = -.5x^2 + .1x
5x^2 - x - 18 = 0
5x^2 - 10x + 9x - 18 = 0
5x(x-2) + 9(x-2) = 0
(5x+9)(x-2) = 0
x = 2 since x = -9/5 is not feasible

IMO E

­
Tutor
Affiliations: GMAT Coach
Own Kudos [?]: 926 [0]
Given Kudos: 202
GMAT 1: 760 Q50 V44
GMAT 2: 770 Q51 V44
GMAT 3: 770 Q50 V44
GMAT 4: 770 Q50 V45 (Online)
GMAT 5: 780 Q51 V48
Send PM
Bob expected to spend a total of $9.00 to buy a given amount of pasta [#permalink]
Expert Reply

Honeybadger269 wrote:
avigutman wrote:
Obscurus wrote:

When you have the product of two positive numbers (a and b), and you're told that the same product can be reached by adding to one of the numbers and subtracting from the other [(a+[i]x)(b-y), where x and y are positive numbers]. Importantly, we don't know the ratio a :(a+x) nor b :(b-y). If we do know one of those ratios, we can solve using a beautiful reasoning based solution.

­Highly elegant and intricate explanation.

Are there people who a] are not naturally good at 'math' and b] have learnt to think and execute this stuff within the time constraints and under the exam pressure by way of GMAT preparation? If yes, please reply to this and tell me how you developed this skill. I have been preparing for the test for a long time and still can never do this in any mock or actual attempt.

­Yes, this is a great explanation by avigutman!

Honeybadger269 These quadratics do come up sometimes, often with this kind of wording, where a price goes up or down and the quantity goes in the other direction. It's usually easiest to backsolve from the answer choices, since you'd have to guess and check anyways to do the factoring.

Easier said than done, but thorough preparation helps a lot, so we don't have to recreate the wheel on the actual test: once we've done several of these problems, it helps us quickly recognize this wording and make it a habit to use the answer choices to our advantage. Remember to first test the answer choice that is easiest to test; this boat one is a great example: 

https://gmatclub.com/forum/a-boat-trave ... ml#p778643­
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Bob expected to spend a total of $9.00 to buy a given amount of pasta [#permalink]
Please help me:

Would it also be possible to say:
p=price
n=weight

p*(n-0.5) = (p-0.2)*n
pn-0.5p = pn-0.2n
0.5p = 0.2n
5/2p = n

Then try out "p=2" --> 5/2*2=5 and 5/2*1.8=4.5 which is correct

I just dont understand why exactly that is right, can anyone explain please?­
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 622240 [0]
Given Kudos: 81800
Send PM
Expert Reply

stephaniepongracz wrote:
Bob expected to spend a total of $9.00 to buy a given amount of pasta salad at a fixed price per pound. However, the price of the salad was $0.20 more per pound than Bob had expected. Consequently, he spent $9.00 and bought \(\frac{1}{2}\) pound less of the salad. How much did Bob spend per pound for the salad?

A. $1.80
B. $1.85
C. $1.90
D. $1.95
E. $2.00­

Please help me:

Would it also be possible to say:
p=price
n=weight

p*(n-0.5) = (p-0.2)*n
pn-0.5p = pn-0.2n
0.5p = 0.2n
5/2p = n

Then try out "p=2" --> 5/2*2=5 and 5/2*1.8=4.5 which is correct

I just dont understand why exactly that is right, can anyone explain please?­

­You should clearly state what the variables represent.

If p is the old price, and n is the weight of the salad Bob could have bought at that price, then we'd get: pn = (p + 0.2)(n - 0.5) = 9

If p is the new price, and n is the weight of the salad Bob bought at that price, then we'd get: pn = (p - 0.2)(n + 0.5) = 9.

You could have used only one variable p to denote the new price per pound to get: 9/p = 9/(p - 0.2) - 0.5, which gives n = 2.

Hope this helps.
GMAT Club Bot
Moderators:
Math Expert
93096 posts
Senior Moderator - Masters Forum
3137 posts