Last visit was: 27 Apr 2024, 04:11 It is currently 27 Apr 2024, 04:11

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 421 [27]
Given Kudos: 8
Concentration: International Business, Operations
GPA: 3.65
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
Given Kudos: 18
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 421 [2]
Given Kudos: 8
Concentration: International Business, Operations
GPA: 3.65
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
Given Kudos: 18
Send PM
Re: Several inexpensive new vaccines have recently been developed that may [#permalink]
pikachu wrote:
Several inexpensive new vaccines have recently been developed that may help eliminate malaria, a disease that is believed to kill more than 2 million people worldwide each year. All of these vaccines, however, can sometimes produce acute, albeit short-lived and rarely fatal, side effects, the most unpleasant of which are intense diarrhea and severe skin reactions. Countries with the highest incidence of malaria should begin implementing as soon as possible a vaccination program using the vaccine that has shown the lowest incidence of severe skin reactions as a side effect.

Each of the following, if true, gives support to the recommendation above, EXCEPT:
A. The severe skin reactions caused by the new vaccines are rated as slightly more unpleasant by those who have experienced them as compared to the intense diarrhea.
B. The new vaccine that has shown the lowest incidence of severe skin reactions as a side effect costs approximately the same per dose as the other new vaccines.
C. The diarrhea that is a side effect of these vaccines is no more life threatening than the skin reactions that are a side effect of these vaccines.
D. In treating patients with intense diarrhea as a side effect of one of these vaccines, it is sometimes necessary to resort to I.V. hydration.
E. All of the recently developed new vaccines have shown the same incidence of intense diarrhea as a side effect.

Agree to discard option A and B, since they are strengthening the conclusion, and we have to find an answer that undermines the conclusion or that has no bearing on it (since this q is a strengthen except). But I really don't get what are the strong grounds to discard options C, D and E, especially D and E

C. The diarrhea that is a side effect of these vaccines is no more life threatening than the skin reactions that are a side effect of these vaccines.
As you said, this option is stated in the argument. Is neither strengthening nor weakening it, and has no bearing on the conclusion

D. In treating patients with intense diarrhea as a side effect of one of these vaccines, it is sometimes necessary to resort to I.V. hydration.
The same here, no bearing on the conclusion

E. All of the recently developed new vaccines have shown the same incidence of intense diarrhea as a side effect.
I understand per this choice, that we have no option, all the new vaccines produce diarrhea, so this choice is almost the same as C, is neither strengthening nor weakening the conclusion

Can someone who got this right explain a little bit further?

Thanks!
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 170 [1]
Given Kudos: 14
Concentration: General Management, Strategy
Send PM
Re: Several inexpensive new vaccines have recently been developed that may [#permalink]
Bookmarks
Several inexpensive new vaccines have recently been developed that may help eliminate malaria, a disease that is believed to kill more than 2 million people worldwide each year. All of these vaccines, however, can sometimes produce acute, albeit short-lived and rarely fatal, side effects, the most unpleasant of which are intense diarrhea and severe skin reactions. Countries with the highest incidence of malaria should begin implementing as soon as possible a vaccination program using the vaccine that has shown the lowest incidence of severe skin reactions as a side effect.

Each of the following, if true, gives support to the recommendation above, EXCEPT:
A. The severe skin reactions caused by the new vaccines are rated as slightly more unpleasant by those who have experienced them as compared to the intense diarrhea.-- The reasoning provided below, hence support
B. The new vaccine that has shown the lowest incidence of severe skin reactions as a side effect costs approximately the same per dose as the other new vaccines.-- ruling out one of the probable options which can weaken the usage of the stated vaccines
C. The diarrhea that is a side effect of these vaccines is no more life threatening than the skin reactions that are a side effect of these vaccines.--The reasoning provided below, hence support
D. In treating patients with intense diarrhea as a side effect of one of these vaccines, it is sometimes necessary to resort to I.V. hydration.-- No impact, hence this is the answer
E. All of the recently developed new vaccines have shown the same incidence of intense diarrhea as a side effect. The reasoning provided below, hence support , additionally any vaccine will result into the same incidence of intense diarrhea as a side effect, so deciding factor can be the skin side effects.

// conclusion is clearly based on using the vaccines which have shown lowest incidence of skin reactions. But in premise it has been stated that most unpleasant side effects are diarrhea and severe skin reactions. So our conclusion somewhere lies with an assumption that diarrhea doesn't cause so severe effects to be taken into account while implementing the vaccine.

Kindly correct me if I am wrong
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 831 [0]
Given Kudos: 291
Send PM
the conclusion says that lets use the vaccines with the lowest skin reactions- hence they have made skin reactions as a benchmark. but A clearly says that it cannot be used as a benchmark cus Diarrhoea is more than skin reactions. How does this strengthen the conclusion!!!
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 912 [1]
Given Kudos: 4
Schools: LBS '14 (A$)
GMAT 1: 770 Q48 V48
Send PM
Kudos
HI Mohnish,

The Passage Says:
2 side effects - Skin Irritation & Diarrhoea
Choose that with less instances of Skin Irritation

A says:
Skin irritation is considered worse than Diarrhoea

This seems consistent to me - that you should minimise the symptom that people think is worse.

Or do you disagree?

All the best

James
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 64 [3]
Given Kudos: 13
Send PM
Kudos
pikachu wrote:

A. The severe skin reactions caused by the new vaccines are rated as slightly more unpleasant by those who have experienced them as compared to the intense diarrhea.
B. The new vaccine that has shown the lowest incidence of severe skin reactions as a side effect costs approximately the same per dose as the other new vaccines.

Conclusion: Countries should use a vaccination program that has shown the lowest incidence of severe skin reactions as a side effect.

Answer: To pick a choice which DOES NOT explain (directly or indirectly) why Countries should use a vaccination program that has shown the lowest incidence of severe skin reactions as a side effect. In other words, a choice which can actually pin point either (1) side effects of skin reactions are worse than diarrhea, or (2) there are varied incidences (not same no. of incidences) of skin reaction as a side effect in different vaccines.

A. The severe skin reactions caused by the new vaccines are rated as slightly more unpleasant by those who have experienced them as compared to the intense diarrhea. Explains point (1)
B. The new vaccine that has shown the lowest incidence of severe skin reactions as a side effect costs approximately the same per dose as the other new vaccines. Explains point (2) - It says the vaccine that has the lowest incidence: suggests that there are vaccines with more incidences.
C. The diarrhea that is a side effect of these vaccines is no more life threatening than the skin reactions that are a side effect of these vaccines. Explains point (1)
D. In treating patients with intense diarrhea as a side effect of one of these vaccines, it is sometimes necessary to resort to I.V. hydration. Explains neither (1) nor (2), hence the Answer
E. All of the recently developed new vaccines have shown the same incidence of intense diarrhea as a side effect.[/quote] Explains point (2) - It says that incidence of intense diarrhea is same in all vaccines, leaving a choice for us to assume that there are varied incidences of skin reaction.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 42 [6]
Given Kudos: 17
Send PM
Several inexpensive new vaccines have recently been developed that may [#permalink]
Kudos