Last visit was: 27 Apr 2024, 15:02 It is currently 27 Apr 2024, 15:02

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Difficulty: 705-805 Levelx   Long Passagex   Sciencex                     
Show Tags
Hide Tags
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 63683 [2]
Given Kudos: 1774
GMAT 1: 780 Q51 V46
GMAT 2: 800 Q51 V51
GRE 1: Q170 V170

GRE 2: Q170 V170
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 3 [0]
Given Kudos: 98
Send PM
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 67 [0]
Given Kudos: 626
Send PM
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 63683 [1]

Send PM
Re: Conodonts, the spiky phosphatic remains (bones and teeth composed of c [#permalink]
Kudos
Expert Reply
woohoo921 wrote:
Dear GMATNinja,
I realize that you covered question 580 (According to the passage, the anatomical evidence provided by the preserved soft bodies of conodonts led scientists to conclude that) in detail. However, I just want to make sure that I am pulling the right support from the passage to justify the correct answer.  The support is: "The lack of any mineralized structures apart from the elements in the mouth indicates that conodonts were more primitive than the armored jawless fishes such as the ostracoderms". "Apart from elements in the mouth" refers to teeth, correct?

For question 581 (the second paragraph in the passage serves primarily to), can someone explain why Choice B is wrong in more detail?

Thank you!

Regarding your first question: yup, that's the right piece of the passage. And yes, "elements in the mouth" would mean teeth.

Regarding your second question: as we've mentioned in this passage breakdown, the second paragraph discusses two views from BEFORE the 1981 discovery. So, it's not correct to say that the second view was "derived from" the 1981 discovery. The view was already out there, and then the 1981 discovery provided additional support for that view.

I hope that helps!
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 14 [0]
Given Kudos: 139
Send PM
Re: Conodonts, the spiky phosphatic remains (bones and teeth composed of c [#permalink]
Hi experts, GMATNinja and others

P1 = Paragraph 1
P2 = Paragraph 2
P3 = Paragraph 3

I read all posts but only things I am still confused are that I cannot see any connection between P1 and P2 and between P1 and P3. Many posts tell that P2 doesn't link to P1 and those theories in P2 had existed before the discovery in 1981.

Could you pls show the hint or clue in the passage that which words or phrases that let us know P2 doesn't connect to P1 and P3 does connect to P3?
Target Test Prep Representative
Own Kudos [?]: 507 [2]
Given Kudos: 1
GMAT 1: 800 Q51 V51
Send PM
Conodonts, the spiky phosphatic remains (bones and teeth composed of c [#permalink]
Kudos
Expert Reply
Tanchat wrote:
Could you pls show the hint or clue in the passage that which words or phrases that let us know P2 doesn't connect to P1 and P3 does connect to P3?

The paragraphs in GMAC's passages will not be unrelated. Without exception, GMAC chooses and edits RC passages so that their overall organization and interrelationships are clear.

First of all, this is a passage about science.
Remember how the scientific method works in general: You can't prove scientific theories/hypotheses, but you CAN disprove them (with discoveries/findings that contradict them).
This pair of basic observations has an immediate and profound consequence: ALL scientific progress consists entirely of DISPROVING / RULING OUT specific theories/hypotheses.

So, for instance, when you come to the part about "important implications for hypotheses" near the end of ¶1, you know for sure what those 'implications' are: One or more hypotheses will be ELIMINATED by the new findings. (Probably just one, because these passages are all very short by the usual standards of scholarly/academic/scientific articles.)

You can absolutely assume this, because that's how science HAS to work.

Quote:
Many posts tell that P2 doesn't link to P1

Well... they shouldn't say that, because that's just wrong. Paragraph 2 is very clearly and very closely connected to paragraph 1.

¶1 mentions that the 1981 findings had an effect on "hypotheses concerning the development of the vertebrate skeleton".
The entirety of ¶2 is dedicated to explaining two of these hypotheses—/1/ the 'traditional' hypothesis, and /2/ a newer hypothesis suggested by "other paleontologists"—in detail.

It's concerning that anyone could conclude that ¶1 and ¶2 are 'unrelated', because the connection is spelled out using repetition of exactly the same specific words only two or three lines apart!

• End of ¶1: "hypotheses concerning the development of the vertebrate skeleton"

• Beginning of ¶2: "The vertebrate skeleton had traditionally been regarded as a defensive development" ...okay, this is definitely one of the hypotheses just mentioned. This hypothesis is then explained in detail, followed by a newer, contrasting hypothesis.

¶3 describes scientific results. These MUST be the 1981 findings—even though "1981" isn't repeated—because anything else would just be ridiculous. (If these findings WEREN'T the ones from 1981, then the reference to 1981 findings in ¶1 would be left totally stranded and unexplained, AND ¶3 would be suddenly jumping into a description of findings that don't relate to anything else in the passage. These passages are not atrociously horrible writing, so, nope.)
The paragraph ends by explaining how these findings support one of the two hypotheses in ¶2 but not the other one.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 13 [0]
Given Kudos: 39
Send PM
Hi GMATNinja,

you mentioned in your explanation,
"But when you refer back to the passage, was the second view (of early vertebrates as predators) "derived from the 1981 discovery"? Not quite. The second paragraph doesn't create a link between the view of predatory evolution and the 1981 discovery of conodont remains. The second paragraph doesn't even mention conodonts. That's why we eliminate (B) -- or at the very least, avoid falling in love with (B) right away"

Between B & E i choose B for the very reason of being specific about the sides. Here is my logic:
side 1: traditional view
side 2: view derived from discovery (conodonts). The discovery of conodonts did give way to the theory that teeth came before scales (para 3) and that the initial vertebrates were predators i.e. the second theory that's been contrasted (this was also the question asked in Q1).

para 2 does a side1 vs side 2. Please help me understand.
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 63683 [0]

Send PM
Expert Reply

Question 2

StringArgs wrote:
Hi GMATNinja,

you mentioned in your explanation,
"But when you refer back to the passage, was the second view (of early vertebrates as predators) "derived from the 1981 discovery"? Not quite. The second paragraph doesn't create a link between the view of predatory evolution and the 1981 discovery of conodont remains. The second paragraph doesn't even mention conodonts. That's why we eliminate (B) -- or at the very least, avoid falling in love with (B) right away"

Between B & E i choose B for the very reason of being specific about the sides. Here is my logic:
side 1: traditional view
side 2: view derived from discovery (conodonts). The discovery of conodonts did give way to the theory that teeth came before scales (para 3) and that the initial vertebrates were predators i.e. the second theory that's been contrasted (this was also the question asked in Q1).

para 2 does a side1 vs side 2. Please help me understand.

P2 presents two hypotheses:

• First hypothesis: how vertebrate skeletons "had traditionally been" regarded,
  • Second hypothesis: the viewpoint argued by "other" paleontologists.

Because the first hypothesis describes how skeletons HAD BEEN regarded, we know that this viewpoint existed BEFORE the 1981 discovery. And because the second viewpoint is presented as a counterpoint to this first view, we know that these two positions existed at the same time as one another.

So, the overall timeline goes something like:

• Paleontologists take up two different positions regarding the vertebrate skeleton.
  • Then, there's a discovery in 1981.
  • This discovery supports one position over the other position.

So, it's not correct to say that the second view was "derived from" the 1981 discovery. The view was already out there, and then the 1981 discovery provided additional support for that view.

(B) is out, and (E) is the correct answer to question 2.

I hope that helps!
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 115 [0]
Given Kudos: 446
Send PM
GMATNinja - can you tell me how should have approached this question in the exam? You agree this was a tough passage/question set - so how one could have smartly gone about this during an actual exam and strategically thought about it? Wanted to really hear your views. Please respond. Thanks a ton.

GMATNinja wrote:

A closer look at Question #3

Rebekah wrote:
Can someone explain the third question? I got it right, but I spent almost 3 mins on this one. I had difficulties in locating where should I refer to answer this question.

It can be inferred that on the basis of the 1981 discovery of conodont remains, paleontologists could draw which of the following conclusions?
A The earliest vertebrates were sedentary suspension feeders.
B Ostracoderms were not the earliest vertebrates.
C Defensive armor preceded jaws among vertebrates.
D Paired eyes and adaptations for activity are definitive characteristics of vertebrates.
E Conodonts were unlikely to have been predators.

I found the discovery in p1 and p3. p1 just states that the discovery changes the views scientists hold about the development of vertebrate animals. p3 seems talk about the discovery(in a vague and subtle way, there is no obvious link between the discovery talked about in p1)

Cheers!

Your approach to this question was sound! It's a legitimately tough question, and difficult to answer without a clear read on the passage structure and process of elimination.

Quote:
It can be inferred that on the basis of the 1981 discovery of conodont remains, paleontologists could draw which of the following conclusions?

The only place this discovery is explicitly mentioned is in P1, but (as you know) this isn't a situation where there's some immediate factoid that we see directly connected to the year 1981. Instead, we see this big-picture statement:

"However, since the 1981 discovery of fossils preserving not just the phosphatic elements but also other remains of the tiny soft-bodied animals (also called conodonts) that bore them, scientists' reconstructions of the animals' anatomy have had important implications for hypotheses concerning the development of the vertebrate skeleton."

This doesn't point us to something that happened in 1981. Instead, the significance of this line is why the author brings up this discovery: To call into question the existing hypotheses about why the vertebrate skeleton evolved.

OK, so let's think about this structurally. P1 tells us that the conodont discovery set up scientists (and us, the readers) to reconsider two hypotheses. P2 is all about presenting those hypotheses (which existed prior to the discovery and did not use conodonts as evidence), so we're not going to find the answer there.

But the purpose of P3 is to tell us that the hypothesis of aggressive evolution seems to be correct. And P3 delivers this statement based on the discovery of conodont remains:

"The stiffening notochord...V-shaped muscle blocks...and posterior tail fins help to identify conodonts as among the most primitive of vertebrates. The lack of any mineralized structures...indicates that conodonts were more primitive than the armored jawless fishes such as the ostracoderms. It now appears that the hard parts that first evolved in the mouth of an animal improved its efficiency as a predator, and that aggression rather than protection was the driving force behind the origin of the vertebrate skeleton."

All right! The 1981 discovery triggered a new debate over the origin of the vertebrate AND placed conodonts as one of the earliest examples of vertebrate evolution being driven by aggression.

Let's start eliminating:
Quote:
A. The earliest vertebrates were sedentary suspension feeders.

Sedentary suspension feeders were mentioned in P2 as potential evidence for vertebrate evolution being defensive. It's a thing that was mentioned in the passage, but it's not a statement that we can infer on the basis of the 1981 discovery of conodont remains. Eliminate (A).

Quote:
B. Ostracoderms were not the earliest vertebrates.

This looks good! P3 specifically tells us that conodonts were vertebrates AND were more primitive than ostracoderms. This would imply that Ostracoderms were not the earliest vertebrates, because they were predated by conodonts. Let's keep choice (B) around and keep moving.

Quote:
C. Defensive armor preceded jaws among vertebrates.

Nope. Like choice (A), this is not a statement that we can infer on the basis of the 1981 discovery of conodont remains. It's a tempting choices, but we can eliminate (C) just like we eliminated (A).

Quote:
D. Paired eyes and adaptations for activity are definitive characteristics of vertebrates.

Like (A) and (C), this choice is tempting but it's not a fact that we can infer on the basis of the 1981 discovery. Eliminate (D).

Quote:
E. Conodonts were unlikely to have been predators.

Choice (E) is totally off the rails (off the spine?). The entire point of P3 is that conodonts were evolved to be predators. This is the opposite of what this choice says, so let's eliminate (E), too.

(B) is the only choice that directly answers the question and is backed up by our understanding of the 1981 discovery's importance.

I hope this helps clarify how to stay ahead of this question! Whether or not it increases your appreciation of conodonts is up to you. I do hear rumors that they taste like chicken... :tongue_opt2
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 63683 [2]

Send PM
Conodonts, the spiky phosphatic remains (bones and teeth composed of c [#permalink]
Kudos
Expert Reply

Question 3 (+ general RC thoughts)

kittle wrote:
GMATNinja - can you tell me how should have approached this question in the exam? You agree this was a tough passage/question set - so how one could have smartly gone about this during an actual exam and strategically thought about it? Wanted to really hear your views. Please respond. Thanks a ton.

There are a couple of key things to keep in mind when approaching a tough question like this, and also GMAT RC in general.

First, when you're reading the passage as a whole, focus on structure. Why did the author include each paragraph? How does each paragraph connect to the other paragraphs? Answering these questions will help you see the skeleton of the passage, and know how the details fit together. For this question, knowing why the author included the 1981 discovery is key to making an inference about that discovery.

Second, be very careful with the exact language of the question. This question asks which conclusions can be inferred "on the basis of the 1981 discovery of conodont remains." That's a completely different question than something like, "which of the following can be inferred from the passage?" If you just react to the word "infer" without really seeing the rest of the question, then it's going to be impossible to answer this question accurately.

Third, know when to let go. There could be particular questions that are just too hard for you to complete within a reasonable amount of time. You pretty much always want to sink time into understanding the passage as a whole, carefully reading each question, and attempting to eliminate answer choices. If you're spinning your wheels on the answer choices, though, the best decision might be to guess and move on to the next question. Not a fun decision, but your time might be better spent elsewhere on the verbal section.

For much more on how to approach RC, check out this blob of videos.

I hope that helps a bit!
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 0 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
How much time did it take for you to complete all 3 questions along with the reading of the passage?
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 8 [0]
Given Kudos: 18
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Finance
Schools: IESE INSEAD IE HEC
Send PM
Got all of them incorrect, did not understand anything in the passage at all. This passage is way too challenging.­
GMAT Club Bot
   1   2   3   4 
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6923 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts
GRE Forum Moderator
13966 posts