Last visit was: 27 Apr 2024, 14:50 It is currently 27 Apr 2024, 14:50

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 20 [0]
Given Kudos: 18
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 18 [0]
Given Kudos: 1840
Send PM
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 1424 [2]
Given Kudos: 75
GMAT 1: 800 Q51 V51
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 18 [0]
Given Kudos: 1840
Send PM
Re: In the United States, injuries to passengers involved in automobile ac [#permalink]
Hi MartyMurray, Thanks for the detailed explanation !

I tried to apply the approach you mentioned in this question and ended up with 2 answers here, Option D and Option E. Option D for obvious reason is not a weakener, but Option E is also not a weakener for me if I see this only from conclusion view.

In Necessary conditions, A (European Safety belt) doesn't imply B (Protection or safety), and same is mentioned in Option E, then how can option E be a weakener ?

at the same time, I know E is a valid weakener if I use that correlation - causation approach, thats why I thought to made the remark for this question.

Am I going wrong ? Kindly can you help ?

Thanks
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 8 [0]
Given Kudos: 18
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Finance
Schools: IESE INSEAD IE HEC
Send PM
Re: In the United States, injuries to passengers involved in automobile ac [#permalink]
Gustavoncf wrote:
The fact that Cars built for the European market tend to have more sturdy construction couldn't imply that their safety belts are better?

When i saw C, i thought that it could strenght the argument, bringing evidence that the safety belts could be one of the facts of the sturdiness

­That was my exact thought as well.
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 1424 [0]
Send PM
Expert Reply

acethegmat6969 wrote:
Gustavoncf wrote:
The fact that Cars built for the European market tend to have more sturdy construction couldn't imply that their safety belts are better?

When i saw C, i thought that it could strenght the argument, bringing evidence that the safety belts could be one of the facts of the sturdiness

­That was my exact thought as well.

­The thing is that "more sturdy construction" would apply to the entire car, not just to the seatbelt. Thus, this choice could still serve to call into question whether seatbelts are the key factor making the difference.

Also, possibly more importantly, "more sturdy construction" and "seat belt design" are two different things. The conclusion is basically about "kind of safety belt," rather than about sturdiness, which may not be affected by "more stringent standards for safety belt design" that are focused on the "kind" of belt.

So, even if this choice means that European belts are sturdier, it wouldn't really support the case for the conclusion and could still be seen as weakening the case for more stringent standards focused on the "kind" of belt.
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 1424 [0]
Send PM
Expert Reply
SnorLax_7 wrote:
Hi MartyMurray, Thanks for the detailed explanation !

I tried to apply the approach you mentioned in this question and ended up with 2 answers here, Option D and Option E. Option D for obvious reason is not a weakener, but Option E is also not a weakener for me if I see this only from conclusion view.

In Necessary conditions, A (European Safety belt) doesn't imply B (Protection or safety), and same is mentioned in Option E, then how can option E be a weakener ?

at the same time, I know E is a valid weakener if I use that correlation - causation approach, thats why I thought to made the remark for this question.

Am I going wrong ? Kindly can you help ?

Thanks

­I think you're going wrong thinking that you need to view the choice in one way or another. There are different ways choices can work, and you don't have to choose among them. The move is just to consider how the choice may work and let what you see about the choice dictate how the choice works rather than looking for any particular characteristic to see whether it's present.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [0]
Given Kudos: 163
Send PM
Conclusion: Poor safety belt design leads to more server automobile accidents in US than in Europe.
Type: Weaken (Except)

(A) Europeans are more likely to wear safety belts than are people in the United States - This option provides an alternate cause, hence it's a weakener. Drop

(B) Unlike United States drivers, European drivers receive training in how best to react in the event of an accident to minimize injuries to themselves and to their passengers. This options also provides an alternate reason for the higher serverity of automobile accidents in the US. Drop

(C) Cars built for the European market tend to have more sturdy construction than do cars built for the United States market. The logical implication of the option being that sturdy constructions lead to better safety outcomes, i.e., less severe accidents. This does weaken the passage. Drop

(D) Automobile passengers in the United States have a greater statistical chance of being involved in an accident than do passengers in Europe. Easy pick. Make sure not to confuse the cause with fact presented. If you thought, wait a minute higher incidence of accident is the reason for higher severity, then that would be flawed thinking. It can always be the case that higher incidence of accidents could be of low impact or severity and hence is not a probable alternate cause. This information just tells us that more vehicles are colliding in the US than in Europe. That's all - No effect. Keep

(E) States that have recently begun requiring the European safety belt have experienced no reduction in the average severity of injuries suffered by passengers in automobile accidents. This shows that belts are not the reason for the accident severity. Therefore, weakens the conclusion. Drop
GMAT Club Bot
   1   2 
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6923 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts
CR Forum Moderator
832 posts