Last visit was: 29 Apr 2024, 12:52 It is currently 29 Apr 2024, 12:52

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [1]
Given Kudos: 106
Send PM
Founder
Founder
Own Kudos [?]: 72925 [0]
Given Kudos: 18870
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
How to improve GMAT score [#permalink]
It is admirable that you seem to have dedicated a great deal of time and energy to your GMAT exam preparation. Your results on the mock exams indicate that you can achieve your desired score of 685+, especially in light of the fact that your best score was 715 in Mock 2.

Considering your description, the following recommendations may help you move forward:
1. Analyze Mistakes: Review your errors and focus on weak areas, especially in verbal and RC passages.
2. Simulate Test Conditions: Practice under exam-like conditions to improve focus and time management.
3. Use Additional Resources: Consider GMAT Club for extra practice, but focus on quality over quantity.
4. Review TTP Material: Revisit TTP topics to reinforce understanding and identify gaps.
5. Mental and Physical Prep: Ensure rest and relaxation before the exam to manage stress and stay focused.
6.Consider Support: If needed, seek help from a tutor or study group for guidance.

Remember that progress requires patience and perseverance, so don't let failures depress you. Remain organized, have an optimistic outlook, and keep working toward your objective. Your commitment and preparation have put you on the right direction already.­

Originally posted by Zaid_Sharik on 14 Apr 2024, 21:33.
Last edited by Zaid_Sharik on 15 Apr 2024, 20:48, edited 1 time in total.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 1304 [0]
Given Kudos: 16
Send PM
Re: How to improve GMAT score [#permalink]
Quote:
I’m seeing that my verbal is a little lower, I struggle with RC passages more especially when they’re longer or have confusing language.

If you want to practice reading (without burning official RC passages/questions), articles from The Economist that are similar to those on the GMAT could be useful. You could try to find the specific types of passages you find slippery (i.e. science). Learning/becoming familiar with how inference questions work could be helpful as well.

3 RC tips
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 56 [0]
Given Kudos: 30
Concentration: Finance, General Management
GMAT 1: 750 Q51 V42
GPA: 3.1
WE:Project Management (Energy and Utilities)
Send PM
How to improve GMAT score [#permalink]
masondr wrote:
­Hi all, I just took my first official GMAT exam today and scored a 635 with scores 80/82/82 (I don’t remember but think 80 was quant or verbal). I know this is the unofficial scorecard, but don’t see how it will likely change. When going through the exam, I felt that I wasn’t rushed on time, and had time to go back and review multiple problems in all 3 sections. The quant section felt like the most difficult or different in between the mocks and I felt like it was very difficult. Looking back at my prep. It’s been 73 days since I started, around 260 hours total (3.5 hours average) with 27 days and 110 hours of that being post learning so exclusively practice problems and mock exams. I felt confident going in with all my prep and felt that I could get 80%+ of quant questions (TTP/official question banks) correct, I think similar for DI, then around 70%+ for verbal. My mock exam scores were:
Mock 1: D82/V81/Q81 635 (Lot of careless mistakes ~7 and verbal felt overwhelming)
Mock 2: D83/V83/Q90 715 (Did not expect to do this well as it was after work and already did 2+ hours of studying that day, quant felt super easy).
Mock 1 (Reset): D78/V83/Q79 605 (Lot of careless mistakes ~7)
Mock 2 (Reset): D85/V84/Q84 695 (1 DI question was repeated)
Mock 3: D80/V81/Q83 635 (Felt pretty tired/distracted like overheating etc)
Mock 4: D83/V85/Q81 665 (This exam felt extremely difficult, but after quant review, I realized some incorrect weren't actually that hard)
Mock 5: D82/V82/Q87 675 (Highly distracted for 1st part of Verbal, big issue)

My scores have somewhat been a little dispersed, but I feel like my lower scores were attributed to me not being focused. In my official exam, I felt extremely focused and understanding, but the quant section seemed to have a couple of questions that I’d never seen. My target score is to get a 685+ and I have seen scores similar in my mocks, but I don’t know where to go from here.

I’m seeing that my verbal is a little lower, I struggle with RC passages more especially when they’re longer or have confusing language. I can’t really see any distinct patterns for my quant section. In DI, I’m seeing some small careless mistakes in Graphs, TPA verbal is difficult, and some confusing MSR passages I struggle with.

Honestly, I don’t know where to go or what I’m doing wrong here. I feel like I improved my timing issues, and for practice questions, I felt confident and have exhausted all the TTP and official GMAT questions for hard and almost all for medium, doing them again would be easy as I remember them. I’m thinking of doing GMAT club as they seem to have a lot of questions to help practice more, but I feel like this strategy might just be me walking constantly into a wall. (also very weird, but the first question on my exam (CR) was identical to a question I had done and got wrong on TTP so I was kinda startled at that first question lol).­

­Hi! I think what's happening is that either the test-taking strategy has some improvement areas or you are not able to execute it consistently (even on the official GMAT). To help you better, I would like to understand
1) At what frequency did you take these mocks.
2) How exactly were you practicing between the mocks (or during your regular practice sessions between two mocks)
3) At the outset, your verbal score is pretty much sorted and your Quant score is scattered. (which ideally means that either there are certain Quant concepts you are struggling with or there is a Quant test strategy execution error)

With the limited info, this is what I could come up with. Feel free to schedule a complimentary call to discuss in detail (https://ivycrackers.com/general-assessment/). In this call, we can try to identify answers for all the above questions and come up with a strategy for improving your score.­

Originally posted by IVYCRACKERS.COM on 15 Apr 2024, 09:01.
Last edited by IVYCRACKERS.COM on 15 Apr 2024, 23:25, edited 1 time in total.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 4659 [0]
Given Kudos: 633
GMAT Focus 1:
715 Q83 V90 DI83
GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V51
GRE 1: Q170 V169
Send PM
Expert Reply
masondr wrote:
Honestly, I don’t know where to go or what I’m doing wrong here.­

Hi masondr,

With a score like 635 (85%), you most likely don't have any major weaknesses. Maybe prep a bit, work on any weaknesses you've identified, and just take the GMAT again?­
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Send PM
­I just got the official score back and the 80 was quant so V82/D82/Q80.
I did say that I thought quant was hard this time so I do think I need to work on that, as many have mentioned as well, my quant is scattered and fluctuates. On my exam, I got 19/23 for Verbal (the first question was wrong, but it looked identical to a question I did on TTP before, like even the answers were identical, so this kinda threw me off and I answered how I remembered the answer for that question was rather than go through it. This is weird and I haven't seen anyone say anything similar so I think this is just a one-time issue). For DI I got 13/20 which seems like a lot wrong for a D82, most of my incorrect coming from the middle of questions. In quant, I got a 14/21 with most of my wrong answers coming near the end, and got 4 in a row (12-15) wrong. After seeing the official report, I do think that I can work on my quant skills more, was hoping to see stats/combinations/probability questions and I saw none which I think is very weird. I think I can easily make some improvements and hopefully do better next time.
Target Test Prep Representative
Affiliations: Target Test Prep
Own Kudos [?]: 22081 [0]
Given Kudos: 283
Send PM
Expert Reply
­If careless mistakes are limiting your score, check out this article: Improving Your Accuracy on the GMAT

These other articles may help as well:
- Developing the Proper Mindset For GMAT Success
- How GMAT Students With a Growth Mindset See Their Mistakes

If you want to discuss further, please reach out to us via Live Chat.­
GMAT Club Bot