Last visit was: 29 Apr 2024, 12:23 It is currently 29 Apr 2024, 12:23

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Manager
Manager
Affiliations: University of Tennessee
Own Kudos [?]: 56 [0]
Given Kudos: 39
Concentration: Strategy, Finance
GMAT Focus 1:
575 Q76 V81 DI78
GPA: 3.62
WE:Analyst (Consumer Products)
Send PM
Target Test Prep Representative
Affiliations: Target Test Prep
Own Kudos [?]: 22081 [0]
Given Kudos: 283
Send PM
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 1304 [0]
Given Kudos: 16
Send PM
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 4659 [0]
Given Kudos: 633
GMAT Focus 1:
715 Q83 V90 DI83
GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V51
GRE 1: Q170 V169
Send PM
Re: I Perform Terribly in a Timed Environment, What Can I Do? [#permalink]
Expert Reply
Fish181 wrote:
There have been some clear careless mistake problems and also just general time pressure problems. I just don't feel like I have access to my entire brain when I'm on the timer.

­Hi Fish181,

I think you should keep at it. For what it's worth, everyone does worse under time pressure, including experts who have taken the GMAT multiple times. :)
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 618 [1]
Given Kudos: 28
Concentration: Operations, Marketing
Send PM
I Perform Terribly in a Timed Environment, What Can I Do? [#permalink]
Kudos

Fish181 wrote:
Hi Everyone,

As the title suggests I have issues when it comes to timed practice. I have been doing batches of 10 questions in 20 minute timed environments for all sections. Usually Two DI a day, 1 Q, and 1 V. Between each batch I review missed questions. Appoximately half of the questions that I get wrong in a timed environment I get right in an acceptable amount of time when reviewing untimed. So shouldn't I be missing half as many questions? There have been some clear careless mistake problems and also just general time pressure problems. I just don't feel like I have access to my entire brain when I'm on the timer.

What can I do? It's extremely disheartening to understand how to do a problem but still miss it anyways. I noticed this about a week ago and it continues to plague me. I'm not sure how I can change this trend.

Any thoughts or suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!­

­Fish181 I am no GMAT expert, but I was once in a similar situation, having to prepare for the GMAT after 5 years of corporate experience with no touch with academics. What you are facing is a pretty common issue. The GMAT is a psychometric exam and, in a way, it tests how future business managers will respond to problems under time pressure.

Just keep at it, and you will gradually improve. And if you feel you are not improving, then probably you haven't grasped the concepts clearly. This means you will require even more practice. When I was in a similar situation during my Quant preparation, I bought the GMAT Club Quant mocks- 26 mocks (they were especially known to be brutal in my time), and I tortured myself through about 20+ quant mocks in under 2 months until I gained the confidence to maneuver very challenging questions. And that helped me soar through the actual exam. Maintain an error log. Identify the question types. Understand why you are getting certain question types wrong or why you are taking longer to solve them. Draft a targeted preparation strategy, and you will definitely improve, atleast I hope so.

Get personalized advice tailored to your unique circumstances in the B School admissions process. Reapplying? Get a free ding analysis

Best wishes
Aanchal Sahni (INSEAD MBA alum, former INSEAD MBA admissions interviewer)
Founder, MBAGuideConsulting (former MBA admissions consultant at top global firm)
LinkedIn |WEBSITE: https://mbaguideconsulting.com/| Message(WA): +91 9971200927| email- mbaguideconsulting@gmail.com­
Manager
Manager
Given Kudos: 30
Concentration: Finance, General Management
GMAT 1: 750 Q51 V42
GPA: 3.1
WE:Project Management (Energy and Utilities)
Send PM
Fish181 wrote:
Hi Everyone,

As the title suggests I have issues when it comes to timed practice. I have been doing batches of 10 questions in 20 minute timed environments for all sections. Usually Two DI a day, 1 Q, and 1 V. Between each batch I review missed questions. Appoximately half of the questions that I get wrong in a timed environment I get right in an acceptable amount of time when reviewing untimed. So shouldn't I be missing half as many questions? There have been some clear careless mistake problems and also just general time pressure problems. I just don't feel like I have access to my entire brain when I'm on the timer.

What can I do? It's extremely disheartening to understand how to do a problem but still miss it anyways. I noticed this about a week ago and it continues to plague me. I'm not sure how I can change this trend.

Thanks!­

­Hi! I think you should keep practicing in timed environment and it will all fall in place. The problem you shared is quite common and pretty much everyone faces this issue in the beginning.

Just a question - are you facing this problem in all the sections or specific section? Also, are you getting more incorrect in the beginning or towards the end of the 20 mins or is it scattered?
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 434 [0]
Given Kudos: 15
GMAT 1: 770 Q48 V51
Send PM
Expert Reply
Hi Fish181

Where are you in your prep journey? Have you thoroughly covered all the content, and do you feel confident about it in untimed situations?

If there are content areas where you feel unsure, I'd suggest circling back on those to resolve doubts and practice solving some more challenging problems WITHOUT the timer. And if you haven't covered all the content, please don't do timed mixed practice on stuff you don't (yet) know how to handle.

If there are certain calculations where you are unsure or know that you're slow (long division, exponents, working with fractions or decimals), do drills on just those calculation types to get faster and more confident. Khan Academy can be a good resource for that. (And it's free. As my aunt would say, the price is right.)

For content areas where you feel solid but slow, I'd suggest two paths:
1) Look for more efficient strategies: After correctly solving a problem (but slower than you'd like), look back at your work and see if you can notice unnecessary steps. Then review expert solutions of the same problem to see if they've taken different approaches that were shorter, easier to think about, and/or easier to calculate. (Note that the Official Guide explanations do not count as expert solutions; they are not trying to teach you how to be better at solving the questions, just trying to prove that the correct answer is indeed correct.) If possible, read through multiple expert solutions and choose an approach that you best relate to. Write it down, and then try to solve the same problem later using the expert approach you liked. Then try that again in 3 days to retain it.
2) Work on incremental improvement: Give yourself 3 minutes per question instead of two. While you are fixing this problem, do questions in shorter sets, like a pack of 3 instead of 10. Set the timer for 9 minutes for 3 questions, for example; don't time every single question. If that's fine, reduce the time per Q incrementally for later sets. As you improve, add to the length of your sets until you're back up to 10-question sets.

MINDSET - now here is my jam - What are you saying to yourself about the time, friend? If the words in your head are "I don't have time to think about this fully", "I don't have time to do this right," "I can't think when the timer is staring at me," etc, you may be creating a self-fulfilling prophecy.
If you aren't sure what you are saying to yourself about the time (and I mean WHILE you are in the midst of solving problems), pay special attention. Write down the things you hear yourself thinking. Analyze them: are they objectively true? What would you say if a friend said that about themselves: what advice would you give that friend?

Put the management in time management: When you're managing a project, you may have constraints of financial resources, human resources, technical resources, etc. As managers, it's often our job to work within those constraints. (Ok, yes, sometimes we need to advocate for more resources. That only works on the GMAT if you have a documented learning difference that would justify an extra time accommodation.) The point here is Be A Manager. You manage the GMAT. Don't let it manage you.

CHOOSE one or more new time management mantras to replace the unhelpful thoughts you may have been having. Here are some examples that have resonated with my students:
"I use the time to show what I know and what I can do."
"The time is a resource I can use. I'm using it wisely."

Does any of this help? Happy to hear back from you.

Best, Jennifer­
Manager
Manager
GMAT Focus 1:
575 Q76 V81 DI78
Send PM
IVYCRACKERS.COM wrote:
Fish181 wrote:
Hi Everyone,

Thanks!­

­Hi! I think you should keep practicing in timed environment and it will all fall in place. The problem you shared is quite common and pretty much everyone faces this issue in the beginning.

Just a question - are you facing this problem in all the sections or specific section? Also, are you getting more incorrect in the beginning or towards the end of the 20 mins or is it scattered?

­hi thanks for the reply. It's scattered but definitely the mistakes are definitely most in DI and then Q.
Manager
Manager
GMAT Focus 1:
575 Q76 V81 DI78
Send PM
BrightOutlookJenn wrote:
Hi Fish181

Where are you in your prep journey? Have you thoroughly covered all the content, and do you feel confident about it in untimed situations?

If there are content areas where you feel unsure, I'd suggest circling back on those to resolve doubts and practice solving some more challenging problems WITHOUT the timer. And if you haven't covered all the content, please don't do timed mixed practice on stuff you don't (yet) know how to handle.

If there are certain calculations where you are unsure or know that you're slow (long division, exponents, working with fractions or decimals), do drills on just those calculation types to get faster and more confident. Khan Academy can be a good resource for that. (And it's free. As my aunt would say, the price is right.)

For content areas where you feel solid but slow, I'd suggest two paths:
1) Look for more efficient strategies: After correctly solving a problem (but slower than you'd like), look back at your work and see if you can notice unnecessary steps. Then review expert solutions of the same problem to see if they've taken different approaches that were shorter, easier to think about, and/or easier to calculate. (Note that the Official Guide explanations do not count as expert solutions; they are not trying to teach you how to be better at solving the questions, just trying to prove that the correct answer is indeed correct.) If possible, read through multiple expert solutions and choose an approach that you best relate to. Write it down, and then try to solve the same problem later using the expert approach you liked. Then try that again in 3 days to retain it.
2) Work on incremental improvement: Give yourself 3 minutes per question instead of two. While you are fixing this problem, do questions in shorter sets, like a pack of 3 instead of 10. Set the timer for 9 minutes for 3 questions, for example; don't time every single question. If that's fine, reduce the time per Q incrementally for later sets. As you improve, add to the length of your sets until you're back up to 10-question sets.

MINDSET - now here is my jam - What are you saying to yourself about the time, friend? If the words in your head are "I don't have time to think about this fully", "I don't have time to do this right," "I can't think when the timer is staring at me," etc, you may be creating a self-fulfilling prophecy.
If you aren't sure what you are saying to yourself about the time (and I mean WHILE you are in the midst of solving problems), pay special attention. Write down the things you hear yourself thinking. Analyze them: are they objectively true? What would you say if a friend said that about themselves: what advice would you give that friend?

Put the management in time management: When you're managing a project, you may have constraints of financial resources, human resources, technical resources, etc. As managers, it's often our job to work within those constraints. (Ok, yes, sometimes we need to advocate for more resources. That only works on the GMAT if you have a documented learning difference that would justify an extra time accommodation.) The point here is Be A Manager. You manage the GMAT. Don't let it manage you.

CHOOSE one or more new time management mantras to replace the unhelpful thoughts you may have been having. Here are some examples that have resonated with my students:
"I use the time to show what I know and what I can do."
"The time is a resource I can use. I'm using it wisely."

Does any of this help? Happy to hear back from you.

Best, Jennifer­

­Hi Jennifer,

I've actually completed the target test prep course. I do have weaker areas but overall I do understand every problem type. Conceptually I am able to get all easy 95% of medium and 50% of hard questions correct. With time pressure all sorts of questions throw me off. I even missed an easy question and a few mediums the other day while studying because of my time management. I just blank under the pressure.
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 434 [0]
Given Kudos: 15
GMAT 1: 770 Q48 V51
Send PM
Expert Reply
­Hi Fish,

OK, great that you feel pretty solid about content. 

What do you think about the approach of doing timed sets but with a more forgiving time budget (like 3 mins per question) to see if that helps? It's like starting in the shallow end of the swimming pool. Then you can gradually cut your time budget on future practice sets. 

Also - if many of your errors are in DI - it could be helpful just to manage your expectations of what's possible (or necessary) in that section! DI is hard for just about everyone to get through, and I see lots of competitive scores with several errors included. So you could exercise your "guess, flag, and move on" muscle when you get a DI question that you feel very uncertain about. 

Finally, have you tried any anxiety-busting techniques? Chewing gum, eating a really sour candy, full-body tense and release, box breathing, visualization. Breathing and visualization are helpful for beforehand, and the physical ones are helpful if anxiety has already set in and you need to break out. 

Let us know how things go!

Best, Jennifer
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 14 [0]
Given Kudos: 52
GMAT Focus 1:
695 Q90 V82 DI82
GPA: 4
Send PM
Hi

I was in your shoes at one point of time. First aim at achieving a good accuracy with untimed practice. Use this practice to develop the skills of Inference, translate and ensure you are comprehending/noting down the info as you go on reading. Pause at regular intervals to see that your comprehension is upto the mark. I have learnt all these skills from e-gmat course and these really made a turnaround in my accuracies. Once you master all the skill sets achieving accuracy in timed environments is a natural consequence. You dont have to worry about this at all.

There are no mistakes like small or big. GMAT usually lays down small traps within the question which might seem to be small in hindsight but trust me they are there for a purpose. I have learnt to overcome all these problems after following the skills of inference/translation taught in e-gmat course content. Do give it a try
GMAT Club Bot