Last visit was: 29 Apr 2024, 23:11 It is currently 29 Apr 2024, 23:11

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 434 [0]
Given Kudos: 1214
Concentration: General Management, Economics
WE:Human Resources (Human Resources)
Send PM
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 619 [1]
Given Kudos: 28
Concentration: Operations, Marketing
Send PM
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 434 [0]
Given Kudos: 1214
Concentration: General Management, Economics
WE:Human Resources (Human Resources)
Send PM
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 619 [1]
Given Kudos: 28
Concentration: Operations, Marketing
Send PM
Re: GMAC Fundamental courses [#permalink]
Kudos

poojaarora1818 wrote:
MBAGuide wrote:
poojaarora1818 wrote:
­Hi Everyone,

I am an Indian Female with a non-technical background and 10 years of work experience in the HR domain. As I mentioned from a non-technical background I want to pursue some business fundamentals and short-term quantitative courses as suggested by a few consultants once I finish my Gmat test.

While researching, I came across a few business fundamental courses like Statistics, Finance, and Accounting Fundamentals. Can anyone please guide me on how useful these pre-MBA courses are from our application perspective? Would they add any value to our application process and if yes, how?

Please provide your valuable feedback so, that I can proceed ahead.

Thanks in Advance,
Pooja

­poojaarora1818

How are you performing on your GMAT mocks? That's the initial benchmark all applicants should consider before taking the actual exam. Whether you should enroll in pre-MBA courses or not will depend on your performance in the actual exam.

Here are some general guidelines I have shared plenty of times on this platform.

1. GMAT- Know where you stand
In profile evaluation sessions, the discussion often revolves around GMAT scores, which are a cause for concern. Early in the application season, most applicants score below the average GMAT score at their colleges of choice.

Please consider :

1.For applicants from South Asia and China: At top B schools, quantitative scores are considered weak if the percentile falls below 85, while verbal scores between 60 and 70 percentiles raise questions about the ability to communicate effectively in the classroom and with peers from international backgrounds. 

2.For native, English-speaking applicants, the opposite may be true with verbal abilities.

Consider the general bias of admissions committees toward profiles with a strong quantitative emphasis.
For crowded demographics, a slight deviation from the B School's Average scores can be compensated for by a comprehensive account of your professional development, leadership skills, or diverse aspects. However, what many applicants overlook in this assessment is the quantitative nature of the MBA program. If you want to compensate for such weaknesses, your primary focus should always be on improving your GMAT score.

Expert Insight- Folks who target consulting post MBA are better percieved if they have an overall balanced score, even if the GMAT score is not high. Folks who pitch Finance Goals are better percieved if they have a solid quant score. Consider what your goals are and what kind of analytical prowess is needed.

2: GPA- Reevaluate your undergrad report card

We frequently get asked, 'Will my low GPA be a factor for top MBA programs?'"
For overrepresented demographics, the response should be evident. The schools may be hesitant to admit you in comparison to other similar candidates, possibly showing a preference for a less robust profile sporting a higher-than-average GPA.

A generally accepted minimum threshold for undergraduate GPA is around 3.2 on a 4-point scale. For many individuals, converting percentage scores to the US GPA system might not be straightforward. To simplify this, achieving 80 percent or higher in an undergraduate course could be deemed a favorable score for international applicants.

How can you overcome weaknesses that show in your transcripts?
In the times of burgeoning online courses and digital education platforms (including Harvard's foray into online education), MBA applicants now have a new way to compensate for potential weaknesses in their academic performance. To compensate for a lower grade point average, I recommend taking courses with a strong quantitative focus and aiming for a score between 80% and 100% in offerings from reputable business schools.

Those with backgrounds in engineering, sciences, business development or HR should focus on two majors: Statistics and Calculus. If your performance has not been satisfactory, take up courses that give test options to demonstrate improvement. 

So in your case, as long as you can show you are sharp on stats and calculus, that is good enough. Even you work hard on the quant section of the GMAT, that will suffice too.

Individuals with a background in finance should focus on statistics, accounting, and financial analysis to get strong consideration from adcoms. If your performance has not been satisfactory, take up courses that give test options to demonstrate improvement. 

Remember: it is advisable to take online courses only in subjects where your grades are below 70% (unless participation is purely for personal interest).

Prospective career changers who have a GPA below 3.2 or 70 percent can also use this strategy to achieve a commendable score above 85 percent in their post-MBA target area.

Get personalized advice tailored to your unique circumstances in the B School admissions process. Reapplying? Get a free ding analysis

Best wishes
Aanchal Sahni (INSEAD MBA alum, former INSEAD MBA admissions interviewer)
Founder, MBAGuideConsulting 
LinkedIn |WEBSITE: https://mbaguideconsulting.com/| Message(WA): +91 9971200927| email- mbaguideconsulting@gmail.com­
 ­

­MBAGuide Thank you so much for such detailed feedback and for addressing my doubts related to pre-MBA short-term fundamental courses that are required to ace the MBA program. As you had mentioned how am I performing on my Gmat mocks? Honestly, speaking I am just in the middle of my prep and practicing ques from OG book 2023-23. Once, I am through with it then would take the official mocks. Based on the performance of my mocks I will book the slot for the actual exam. So, right now I cannot comment anything on my official mocks performance.

Your feedback is quite important to me and provided me with a kind of clarification on how to proceed. So, thanks again, and will keep you informed about my real test scores once I am done with it.

Thanks,
Pooja

­poojaarora1818 Sure, feel free to discuss your case in detail once you have a baseline score from the mock tests or the actual exam.

Best wishes

Best wishes
Aanchal Sahni (INSEAD MBA alum, former INSEAD MBA admissions interviewer)
Founder, MBAGuideConsulting 
LinkedIn |WEBSITE: https://mbaguideconsulting.com/| Message(WA): +91 9971200927| email- mbaguideconsulting@gmail.com­
GMAT Club Bot
Re: GMAC Fundamental courses [#permalink]