Last visit was: 30 Apr 2024, 09:05 It is currently 30 Apr 2024, 09:05

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [1]
Given Kudos: 4
Send PM
Founder
Founder
Own Kudos [?]: 72945 [1]
Given Kudos: 18884
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3
Send PM
Founder
Founder
Own Kudos [?]: 72945 [1]
Given Kudos: 18884
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 123 [1]
Given Kudos: 30
Send PM
Re: GMAT Focus Edition Scores [#permalink]
Kudos
Well done for a great baseline score. I think you are overthinking. Just focus on the goalpost, not the playing field. Aim for a 715+ in GFE to get into the shortlist zone. This is where the role of your scores will end.

I also hope you are using marker pens and laminate sheets for mocks, not pen and paper. If not, then you may be in for a rude shock in the actual exam.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 4663 [1]
Given Kudos: 634
GMAT Focus 1:
715 Q83 V90 DI83
GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V51
GRE 1: Q170 V169
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
­Hi Malharpatel,

Malharpatel wrote:
­Hey guys, I took my first blind mock yesterday (Focus edition) without any preparation and got a 675 which seems decent for the first attempt.­

That really is an amazing first score. You're most likely going to do very well on the GMAT.

Malharpatel wrote:
Doubt 1 - Is this approach okay? or am I being a bit cocky?

Only today from this group did I get to know that my 675 score actually equates to a 730 GMAT classic score. Considering this, I am thinking of preparing for a few weeks and taking the test now itself. Let’s say I get a 705 (hopefully), which would translate to a 750 classic score.­

This is fine. Since you're taking the exam relatively soon, you're not losing much time.

Malharpatel wrote:
Doubt 2 - My concern here is, are we sure the colleges are taking the relative grading into account during admissions? Do any of you have anyone who has experienced admission after the focus edition and gotten reverts from uni’s with lower than classic scores, but similar percentiles for similar profile?­

It's safe to say that all good schools are aware of (and will use) the concordance table, if that's what you're asking.

Malharpatel wrote:
Doubt 3 - Percentiles are updated every 3rd quarter of the year I read, so, as a LOT more people give the Focus edition this year, do you think the percentiles will change drastically (since most test takers will still aim for 700+ only, and that corresponds to a 99 percentile+). If this happens, we might be happy with a 700 score now only to realise during applications that the score is not really as good anymore.

Yes, the updated percentiles will be out in Q3. However, we don't normally expect to see big changes in percentiles over the course of just one year. For what it's worth, I think a 700+ on the new GMAT will remain a very good score even after the new percentiles come out.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 56 [0]
Given Kudos: 30
Concentration: Finance, General Management
GMAT 1: 750 Q51 V42
GPA: 3.1
WE:Project Management (Energy and Utilities)
Send PM
Malharpatel wrote:
­Hey guys, I took my first blind mock yesterday (Focus edition) without any preparation and got a 675 which seems decent for the first attempt. My target for GMAT (the OG one) used to be around 750 because I wanted admission with a good scholarship value as well and I know a few people with a similar profile to mine scoring that much and getting into great colleges with decent scholarships. Now I haven’t bought any preparation tools yet and I feel there are enough free ones available to help me increase my score as most of my errors were silly mistakes and I didn’t notice any concept gaps (thank god for no sentence corrections). 

Doubt 1 - Is this approach okay? or am I being a bit cocky?

Only today from this group did I get to know that my 675 score actually equates to a 730 GMAT classic score. Considering this, I am thinking of preparing for a few weeks and taking the test now itself. Let’s say I get a 705 (hopefully), which would translate to a 750 classic score. 

Doubt 2 - My concern here is, are we sure the colleges are taking the relative grading into account during admissions? Do any of you have anyone who has experienced admission after the focus edition and gotten reverts from uni’s with lower than classic scores, but similar percentiles for similar profile?

Doubt 3 - Percentiles are updated every 3rd quarter of the year I read, so, as a LOT more people give the Focus edition this year, do you think the percentiles will change drastically (since most test takers will still aim for 700+ only, and that corresponds to a 99 percentile+). If this happens, we might be happy with a 700 score now only to realise during applications that the score is not really as good anymore.

Thank you in advance for any insights.­

­Wow that's a very impressive score on a diagnostic test.

Doubt 1 - That seems to be a reasonable approach. 705 is what you should target, and of course higher the better :)

Doubt 2 - The benchmarking has been set by GMAC and all the unis are aware of that. I know a few unis where adcom is using the benchmarking set by GMAC. (hope that was your question)

Doubt 3 - There won't be a stark difference in comparison to the current percentiles. (A 99 percentile won't become an 80 or 85 suddenly :) )
GMAT Club Bot