Last visit was: 30 Apr 2024, 07:07 It is currently 30 Apr 2024, 07:07

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 0 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
Experts' Global Representative
Own Kudos [?]: 278 [0]
Given Kudos: 6
Send PM
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 211 [0]
Given Kudos: 7
Concentration: Strategy, Finance
WE:Management Consulting (Consulting)
Send PM
CEO
CEO
Own Kudos [?]: 577 [0]
Given Kudos: 157
Send PM
Re: Profile check with a low gpa [#permalink]
Expert Reply

yahooo123 wrote:
­I have a terrible cgpa of 2.3 I am so stressed and worried. I am worried that not just MBA but every grad school will reject me. My dream schools are Wharton, Yale, and Booth. I am a UofT undergrad. I am in 4th year and in one their toughest programmes. For context, it is a combination of Statistics, Math, Computer Science and a few Data Science and Machine Learning courses. I have a good enough gpa for year 1 such that I was able to get into this tough program but almost regret it now looking at my gpa. Aced Calculus, Statistics and Discrete math courses. It died from year 2 onwards, however, there is an upward curve later. This was also the year of COVID-19. I think UofT is one of out the other tough schools and curves are terrible. I do have a couple of notable tech brands (big 5) on my resume as I interned there. I am extremely motivated to ace my GMAT Score and I have some sense of surety that I will do it. Aiming for a 720+. I am even planning to do a couple of certifications like ECBA, CBAP, and CBV. Is there hope? What is alternative transcript how to get it? ­I am crying writing this.­

­
Hi Yahoo123, 

While I agree the score is not too ggod- i see some silver lining as well:
1. you are studying the toughest subjects- that requires academic interest as well as some risk taking. You could have taken easy to score subjects and done better- but you didnt do that- perhaps there's a reason behind this which can spin your story in a positive direction? Moreover, it will help to speak about your grades in the context of the entire class. Where do you stand in comparison to them? 
2. You mention that you aced a few courses, which again is a good sign. Are there a particular kind of courses you were doing well on (seems like the quant heavy ones) versus getting low scores (maybe theoretical). In that case, you can build a story explaining so if your land up writing the optional essay. Morevover, you could mention how you were consistently top of class in some of the toughest courses (if that was the case).
3. You have good internships- these companies saw something noteworthy in you to hire you ( So, chin up). You can continue to bulild upon your professional proifile and that has a lot of importance in the MBA applications. You are only at the beginning of your career and have a great deal of potential to excel here.
4. Lastly, you still have final exams to make up some lost ground. At this point, you should be putting your energies in getting your highest possible scores. That will help you imporve your overall GPA and also continue the upward curve on the GPA .
Basically, everything is not lost and there's much to hope for and work towards. You need to prioritize getting good marks, so make a plan around this. 
5. You can definitely score higher on the GMAT/ GRE and  make the academic component of your candidacy shine. I dont have any idea about the certifications you have mentioned, but my suggestion is that you first work towards improving your undergrad grades and do any certfications only later, as need be. My fear is that if you stretch yourself in too many directions at this point, then you are likely to make your final year grades suffer. 
Hope that helps,

Namita Garg,
Founder, MBA Decoder
Email: contact@mbadecoder.com
Profile evaluation: https://mbadecoder.com/services/free-pr ... valuation/

­
MBA and Beyond Consulting
Status:MBA Admissions Consulting from INSEAD, Wharton and Columbia graduates
Affiliations: INSEAD and Harvard
Own Kudos [?]: 350 [0]
Given Kudos: 22
Send PM
Expert Reply
Hey yahooo123,

I hope you are doing well. I understand you're stressed, and a 2.3 GPA can feel like a huge hurdle. But don't lose sight of your accomplishments! You got into a highly competitive program at UofT, aced core math courses, and interned at big tech companies - that's impressive. While a strong GMAT score (720+ is fantastic!) will definitely help, your application is more than a number.

Here's the good news: grad schools consider various factors. You can address the GPA in your application essay, explaining the upward trend and the challenges of your program, especially during COVID. Highlight your strong performance in relevant courses and your tech experience. Internships at top companies demonstrate strong work ethic and practical skills. Certifications like ECBA show initiative in business analysis.

While alternative transcripts aren't a common option, focusing on a strong overall application will hold more weight. Let's get you on a call to analyze your profile in detail and craft a strategy to maximize your chances at your dream schools (Wharton, Yale, and Booth are ambitious, but with a well-rounded application, it's not impossible!).Sign up for a free profile evaluation call, and we'll guide you through the process together. There's definitely hope - let's turn that worry into action!

CLICK HERE TO SCHEDULE A FREE 1:1 PROFILE ANALYSIS CALL

Testimonials 
Meet our Panel of Consultants.  

Email: hasan@mbaandbeyond.com
MBA and Beyond​​​​​​​​​​​​​​
yahooo123 wrote:
­I have a terrible cgpa of 2.3 I am so stressed and worried. I am worried that not just MBA but every grad school will reject me. My dream schools are Wharton, Yale, and Booth. I am a UofT undergrad. I am in 4th year and in one their toughest programmes. For context, it is a combination of Statistics, Math, Computer Science and a few Data Science and Machine Learning courses. I have a good enough gpa for year 1 such that I was able to get into this tough program but almost regret it now looking at my gpa. Aced Calculus, Statistics and Discrete math courses. It died from year 2 onwards, however, there is an upward curve later. This was also the year of COVID-19. I think UofT is one of out the other tough schools and curves are terrible. I do have a couple of notable tech brands (big 5) on my resume as I interned there. I am extremely motivated to ace my GMAT Score and I have some sense of surety that I will do it. Aiming for a 720+. I am even planning to do a couple of certifications like ECBA, CBAP, and CBV. Is there hope? What is alternative transcript how to get it? ­I am crying writing this.­

­
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 620 [0]
Given Kudos: 28
Concentration: Operations, Marketing
Send PM

yahooo123 wrote:

­@yahooo123  While I truly respect your choice of dream schools, I would say you should adopt a more pragmatic approach. Accept that these Ivy League schools would likely not admit someone with a very low GPA, but what else can you do to turn the decision in your favor? You haven't elaborated much about your professional experience, but if there's an opportunity that can significantly elevate your profile, leverage that. If not for these top schools on your list, some other good schools will definitely give you lucrative offers if you play your cards right. It's a bit presumptuous to think that only a high GMAT score or certification can help compensate for a low GPA. Your work experience is going to be a major factor as well. If you want to pursue any additional certifications, consider those from Harvard and submit your evaluation certificates along with your applications.

Get personalized advice tailored to your unique circumstances in the B School admissions process. Reapplying? Get a free ding analysis

Best wishes
Aanchal Sahni (INSEAD MBA alum, former INSEAD MBA admissions interviewer)
Founder, MBAGuideConsulting 
LinkedIn |WEBSITE: https://mbaguideconsulting.com/| Message(WA): +91 9971200927| email- mbaguideconsulting@gmail.com­
 ­

GMAT Club Bot