Last visit was: 30 Apr 2024, 13:58 It is currently 30 Apr 2024, 13:58

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 620265 [3]
Given Kudos: 81690
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 620265 [0]
Send PM
General Discussion
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 87 [1]
Given Kudos: 6
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 51 [1]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
Re: 12 Days of Christmas GMAT Competition - Day 10: If n is a positive two [#permalink]
Kudos
Here,

If n = 14 than, 9*11*13*15*17*19 is factor of 11 and 45.
If n = 16 than, 11*13*15*17*19*21 is factor of 11, 21 and 45.
If n = 18 than, 13*15*17*19*21*23 is factor of 21 and 45.
If n = 24 than, 19*21*23*25*27*29 is factor of 21 and 45.

So, we always get 45 as factor of above given expression.

Therefore, option (C) is correct answer here.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
Given Kudos: 94
Send PM
Re: 12 Days of Christmas GMAT Competition - Day 10: If n is a positive two [#permalink]

Bunuel wrote:
12 Days of Christmas 🎅 GMAT Competition with Lots of Questions & Fun

If n is a positive two-digit even integer, which of the following must be a factor of \((n - 5)(n - 3)(n - 1)(n + 1)(n + 3)(n + 5)\)?

I. 11
II. 21
III. 45

A. I only
B. II only
C. III only
D. II and III only
E. I, II, and III

This question was provided by GMAT Club
for the 12 Days of Christmas Competition

Win $25,000 in prizes: Courses, Tests & more

Experience a GMAT Club Test Questions
Yes, you've landed on a GMAT Club Tests question
Craving more? Unlock our full suite of GMAT Club Tests here
Want to experience more? Get a taste of our tests with our free trial today
Rise to the challenge with GMAT Club Tests. Happy practicing!

­We can see that the expression (n - 5)(n - 3)(n - 1)(n + 1)(n + 3)(n + 5) tells us that n must be a common factor of 3,5 so I think it is C.

GMATCoachBen avigutman KarishmaB Bunuel manasp35 JeffTargetTestPrep please let me know whether my method is correct :)­
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 620265 [1]
Send PM
12 Days of Christmas GMAT Competition - Day 10: If n is a positive two [#permalink]
Kudos
Expert Reply
Gmatguy007 wrote:
Bunuel wrote:

If n is a positive two-digit even integer, which of the following must be a factor of \((n - 5)(n - 3)(n - 1)(n + 1)(n + 3)(n + 5)\)?

I. 11
II. 21
III. 45

A. I only
B. II only
C. III only
D. II and III only
E. I, II, and III

­We can see that the expression (n - 5)(n - 3)(n - 1)(n + 1)(n + 3)(n + 5) tells us that n must be a common factor of 3,5 so I think it is C.

GMATCoachBen avigutman KarishmaB Bunuel manasp35 JeffTargetTestPrep please let me know whether my method is correct :)­

I believe you wanted to say that the product must be a multiple of 3 and 5, not n. n does not need to be any of that. Also, the product being a multiple of 3 and 5 guarantees divisibility by 15, not by 45, so it's not clear how you got C. Also, it's not clear how you eliminated 11 and 21. Please check the solution here:

https://gmatclub.com/forum/12-days-of-c ... l#p3324689

Hope this helps.­
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Bunuel wrote:
Gmatguy007 wrote:
Bunuel wrote:

I. 11
II. 21
III. 45

A. I only
B. II only
C. III only
D. II and III only
E. I, II, and III

I believe you wanted to say that the product must be a multiple of 3 and 5, not n. n does not need to be any of that. Also, the product being a multiple of 3 and 5 guarantees divisibility by 15, not by 45, so it's not clear how you got C. Also, it's not clear how you eliminated 11 and 21. Please check the solution here:

https://gmatclub.com/forum/12-days-of-c ... l#p3324689

Hope this helps.­

­the expression above can be written as (n^2 - 5^2)*(n^2 - 3^2)*(n^2-1) and from this we can infer (at least that's what I thought) that both 3,5 are multiples of 15 and as a result the factor of the expression in total will also be a multiple of 15. From the given choices, the only one is (C) and that's how I chose it.  
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 620265 [0]
Send PM
Expert Reply
Gmatguy007 wrote:
­the expression above can be written as (n^2 - 5^2)*(n^2 - 3^2)*(n^2-1) and from this we can infer (at least that's what I thought) that both 3,5 are multiples of 15 and as a result the factor of the expression in total will also be a multiple of 15. From the given choices, the only one is (C) and that's how I chose it.  

3 and 5 are not multiples of 15, they are factors of 15.­ Sorry, but I cannot follow your logic.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Bunuel wrote:
Gmatguy007 wrote:

3 and 5 are not multiples of 15, they are factors of 15.­ Sorry, but I cannot follow your logic.

­yeah, my bad I was distracted :facepalm_man:. factor I wanted to say 
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 65007 [0]
Given Kudos: 429
Send PM
Expert Reply
Gmatguy007 wrote:
Bunuel wrote:

I. 11
II. 21
III. 45

A. I only
B. II only
C. III only
D. II and III only
E. I, II, and III

­n can take any value e.g. it could be 14. This question is based on the concept of factors of consecutive integers. 
Say if I have 2 consecutive integers, their product will certainly have 2 as a factor because one of the numbers will be even. Similarly if I have 3 consecutive integers, their product will be divisible by 2 and 3 because at least one even number and one multiple of 3 will be there. 
Check this:
https://youtu.be/DxIH8rjhpKY

If n is two digit even integer, all the given terms will be odd. If we have any 6 consecutive odd multiples such as 1, 3, 5, 7, 9, 11, two of them will be multiples of 3 and at least one of them will be a multiple of 5. It is not necessary to have a multiple of 7 or 11 in them. Hence only 45 is acceptable. 
Manager
Manager
Send PM
KarishmaB wrote:
­n can take any value e.g. it could be 14. This question is based on the concept of factors of consecutive integers. 
Say if I have 2 consecutive integers, their product will certainly have 2 as a factor because one of the numbers will be even. Similarly if I have 3 consecutive integers, their product will be divisible by 2 and 3 because at least one even number and one multiple of 3 will be there. 
Check this:
https://youtu.be/DxIH8rjhpKY

If n is two digit even integer, all the given terms will be odd. If we have any 6 consecutive odd multiples such as 1, 3, 5, 7, 9, 11, two of them will be multiples of 3 and at least one of them will be a multiple of 5. It is not necessary to have a multiple of 7 or 11 in them. Hence only 45 is acceptable. 

­thanks Karishma !
GMAT Club Bot
Moderators:
Math Expert
93037 posts
Senior Moderator - Masters Forum
3137 posts