Last visit was: 01 May 2024, 08:20 It is currently 01 May 2024, 08:20

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 115 [0]
Given Kudos: 455
Send PM
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 1480 [1]
Given Kudos: 76
GMAT 1: 800 Q51 V51
Send PM
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 1480 [1]
Given Kudos: 76
GMAT 1: 800 Q51 V51
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 21 [0]
Given Kudos: 17
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Healthcare
Schools: Stanford
GPA: 3.6
WE:Medicine and Health (Health Care)
Send PM
Re: In its heyday, modernism was taught in architecture schools [#permalink]
GMATNinja
MartyMurray

Q2:
I want to eliminate “D - employ unusual materials to express an architectural concept” but the last line of third paragraph
“…..thus encouraging the very impurity and heterogeneity the modernist movement condemned” is confusing me.

Will you please help me? Thank you! 🎉

alwaysHP wrote:
2. It can be inferred from the passage that, because Modern architects of the 1950’s believed that “Less is more”, buildings they designed were NOT likely to

(A) feature contrasting materials such as stone and glass on their facades
This clearly can be possible, because no where in the passage they mentioned that stone and glass is not used in Modern buildings

(B) contain spaces serving only one purpose
yes this is very true they have mentioned that designs are usually similar

Reference: n typical modernist buildings of the 1950s, differences between interior and exterior, top and bottom, and back and front—or, indeed, between portions serving different functions—were deliberately minimized.

(C) use complicated design and construction techniques

This is a tricky one at first but if you carefully read the passage
Reference: Detailing was made to look as uncomplicated as the surfaces and joints of the architectural model, no matter what design and construction effort it took to achieve that effect.

Here it just says its made to look uncomplicated, it doesn't mean its not complicated (U can get from this statement no matter what design and construction effort it took to achieve that effect.)

(D) employ unusual materials to express an architectural concept.
Nowhere in the passage it is mentioned that Modern architecture dosent use new different materials

(E) emphasizing purely decorative elements of building design
IMO E

Reference :European architecture of the 1920s or decorative motifs from movie palaces and diners of the twenties and thirties, thus encouraging the very impurity and heterogeneity the modernist movement condemned

Clearly this para detail says decorations are condemned by modernist movement

While solving these questions try to get the most likely answer choice.

Posted from my mobile device
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 63737 [0]
Given Kudos: 1775
GMAT 1: 780 Q51 V46
GMAT 2: 800 Q51 V51
GRE 1: Q170 V170

GRE 2: Q170 V170
Send PM
In its heyday, modernism was taught in architecture schools [#permalink]
Expert Reply

Question 2

Su7sH wrote:
GMATNinja

MartyMurray

Q2:

I want to eliminate “D - employ unusual materials to express an architectural concept” but the last line of third paragraph

“…..thus encouraging the very impurity and heterogeneity the modernist movement condemned” is confusing me.

Will you please help me? Thank you! 🎉

­The bit that you've quoted does say that the modernists were against "heterogeneity" (or diversity). An example is given earlier, when it is mentioned that banks and churches look alike.

But does that correlate with answer choice (D) for question 2? Take another look at the exact language of that option:
Quote:
 (D) [It can be inferred from the passage that, because Modern architects of the 1950’s believed that “Less is more”, buildings they designed were NOT likely to] employ unusual materials to express an architectural concept

"Unusual" materials doesn't mean the same thing as "heterogenous" materials. You could have a whole bunch of "unusual" materials that are very similar to one another, and therefore not heterogenous. So the quotation you've pulled from the passage doesn't necessarily imply that modernists only use "normal" materials.

Additionally, we know that modernists used any "design and construction effort" necessary to make buildings appear simple. It could be that they used really strange materials -- that's fine, as long as the final product looks plain.  ­

That's why we can eliminate (D) for question 2.

I hope that helps!­
GMAT Club Bot
In its heyday, modernism was taught in architecture schools [#permalink]
   1   2 
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6923 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts
GRE Forum Moderator
13981 posts