Last visit was: 01 May 2024, 08:24 It is currently 01 May 2024, 08:24

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 0 [0]
Given Kudos: 6
Send PM
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 620 [1]
Given Kudos: 28
Concentration: Operations, Marketing
Send PM
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 54 [0]
Given Kudos: 5
Schools: Stanford '19
GMAT 1: 770 Q51 V44
GPA: 3.99
Send PM
Admissionado
Own Kudos [?]: 2063 [0]
Given Kudos: 69
Schools:Brown University, Harvard Business School
Send PM
Re: Profile Evaluation [#permalink]
Expert Reply
just_another_desi:

Yes, Wharton is a possibility (but never a guarantee). What other programs interest you? What about Wharton sticks out to you?

It'll come down to putting together a clear narrative that helps you stand out from your competitive demographic, namely in essays and your CV/resume. Figuring out "Why Wharton" is also pivotal.

We're happy to help if you are seeking professional advice.

Admissionado
MBA and Beyond Consulting
Status:MBA Admissions Consulting from INSEAD, Wharton and Columbia graduates
Affiliations: INSEAD and Harvard
Own Kudos [?]: 351 [0]
Given Kudos: 22
Send PM
Expert Reply
Hey there just_another_desi

Wharton definitely seems like a program you can realistically target. Your GMAT score is killer (seriously, 770 is amazing!), and your GPA is well above average. The fact that you went from software engineer at Amazon in London to product manager within Prime Air shows some serious tech chops and a great ability to shift gears into a leadership role.

But what really stands out is your volunteer work. Being Chief of Staff for a non-profit and building patient management software. That's not just impressive technical skills, that's a genuine commitment to making a difference. The fact that it stemmed from a personal reason makes it even more powerful – it shows depth and a real story behind your drive.

And to top it all off, you've got a diploma in Philosophy from Cambridge and a published paper! That intellectual curiosity and ability to think critically is exactly what Wharton looks for.

Your profile is strong enough to definitely give Wharton a shot.  The key will be crafting a compelling application that really tells your story.  In your essays, dig into the impact of your volunteer work and how it fuels your desire for management consulting.  Show them your vision for becoming a tech leader and CEO.

Overall, you've got a fantastic foundation for a successful application to Wharton and other top programs. Go for it!

Want some personalized insights?  Our admissions experts would love to chat with you in a free profile evaluation call. They can offer a more detailed analysis of your fit for Wharton and suggest specific strategies to strengthen your application. This free consultation can help you refine your application approach and increase your chances of admission.

Click here to schedule your free profile evaluation call.

Email: hasan@mbaandbeyond.com
just_another_desi wrote:
­
­27M Indian male. Graduated from NSIT. We have few folks in H/S/W each from my school.GMAT : 770 UG GPA : 8.21
Work experience: Swe in product company in India(1.5 years)

SWE in Amazon in London. Promoted once.(2.5 years) (Published 1 paper)

Switched to Product manager in Amazon Prime air in London (6 months so far, would be over a year by the time I apply) /(Working on using drones for delivering orders)

Volunteering:
- Chief of staff -Technology for a rare diseases non-profit organisation in India. Built patient management software, trained staff on how to use it. Onboarded over 1200 doctors and 50k patients.
  Had a personal reason on why I started working on it.

Extra curricular: Diploma in Philosophy from Uni of Cambridge. (Published 1 paper)
Goals: Short term goal is Management consulting. Long term is to become a technology leader, CEO of a tech company?

My question is if I can target Wharton realistically. ­

­
Intern
Intern
Send PM
MBAGuide wrote:
just_another_desi wrote:
­
­27M Indian male. Graduated from NSIT. We have few folks in H/S/W each from my school.GMAT : 770 UG GPA : 8.21

Switched to Product manager in Amazon Prime air in London (6 months so far, would be over a year by the time I apply) /(Working on using drones for delivering orders)

Volunteering:
- Chief of staff -Technology for a rare diseases non-profit organisation in India. Built patient management software, trained staff on how to use it. Onboarded over 1200 doctors and 50k patients.

Extra curricular: Diploma in Philosophy from Uni of Cambridge. (Published 1 paper)
Goals: Short term goal is Management consulting. Long term is to become a technology leader, CEO of a tech company?

­just_another_desi probably not "just another" desi with that 770 and London work experience :)I really enjoyed reading about your profile. Tier 1 undergrad, top GMAT score, feeder brands, unconventional work profile in tech with new-age logistics technology—there is a high chance you will make it to most of the top global MBA programs if you execute the application well. I like your volunteering efforts for the community, and the fact there is good depth to it because as the Wharton adcom says, "Our mission is to develop leaders who act with a deeper understanding of themselves, their organizations, and their communities”

However, not that I think it's a definite shortcoming, but I hope you can use my advice in your application. If you are not naturally inclined to do hands-on activities during volunteering, allocating your time to building houses will not take you very far.
If I were an admissions evaluator at Wharton, I would like to see you getting into a community initiative where you do something that you do not do within your scope of professional work. Which is why I may get the sense that there is potential to improve the narrative around your team management and team-building skills. Despite a seemingly stellar profile, find out what are the gaps in your profile, for example, you may have been an individual contributor for most part and brainstorm how do you turn the narrative to bring forth a strong team player aspect. I hope I was able to convey my thoughts despite my vague words.

Your diploma in philosophy adds another layer of interest, although I would like to see as an evaluator how that has shaped your vision.

Your goals are alright, but you really would have to put in the hard work to connect the dots between management consulting and CEO of a tech company and how Wharton fits with the big picture. "Research" on the Wharton MBA program is your best friend if you are serious about getting the admit.

Get personalized advice tailored to your unique circumstances in the B School admissions process. Reapplying? Get a free ding analysis

Best wishes
Aanchal Sahni (INSEAD MBA alum, former INSEAD MBA admissions interviewer)
Founder, MBAGuideConsulting 
LinkedIn |WEBSITE: https://mbaguideconsulting.com/| Message(WA): +91 9971200927| email- mbaguideconsulting@gmail.com­

­Do you think getting involved in a new volunteering could be helpful? I am a bit wary that it might seem fake. The one volunteering that I've done was something that stemmed I personally faced (My dad had a rare disease, that's how come in touch with the organisation).

I aim to apply in R1, and was planning to use the remaining months on my executing my application well.
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 211 [0]
Given Kudos: 7
Concentration: Strategy, Finance
WE:Management Consulting (Consulting)
Send PM
just_another_desi wrote:
­

Volunteering:

@just_another_desi ­- some thoughts:

1. The GMAT score, Amazon brand and international experiences are strong angles. Your career switch from SWE to PM also offers scope for a good narrative. 

2. It'd be crucial to be clear on your motivations for consulting, which domains if any (perhaps digital strategy?), how these tie to your long-term goals and why/ how an MBA would help. FYI, top MBA programs for consulting and tech careers are here and here

3. The rare diseases NGO, offers an interesting angle on ECs. Would like to understand this deeper (e.g. is it still active? which functions were you involved in? key challenges and how you overcame them etc.) to see how to align with the broader application narrative.

Hope this helps a bit. Feel free to reach out for a deeper chat.

P.S: If you'd like to learn more about consulting careeers post MBA, join us on April 26th at 8pm IST for a free online webinar with an ex-Mckinsey Consultant

Regards,
Arvind
Founder, admitStreet | Schedule a free chat
W: https://admitstreet.com | LinkedIn | E: consultingteam@admitstreet.com­
Intern
Intern
Send PM
admitStreet wrote:
just_another_desi wrote:
­

Volunteering:

@just_another_desi ­- some thoughts:

1. The GMAT score, Amazon brand and international experiences are strong angles. Your career switch from SWE to PM also offers scope for a good narrative. 

2. It'd be crucial to be clear on your motivations for consulting, which domains if any (perhaps digital strategy?), how these tie to your long-term goals and why/ how an MBA would help. FYI, top MBA programs for consulting and tech careers are here and here

3. The rare diseases NGO, offers an interesting angle on ECs. Would like to understand this deeper (e.g. is it still active? which functions were you involved in? key challenges and how you overcame them etc.) to see how to align with the broader application narrative.

Hope this helps a bit. Feel free to reach out for a deeper chat.

P.S: If you'd like to learn more about consulting careeers post MBA, join us on April 26th at 8pm IST for a free online webinar with an ex-Mckinsey Consultant

Regards,
Arvind
Founder, admitStreet | Schedule a free chat
W: https://admitstreet.com | LinkedIn | E: consultingteam@admitstreet.com­

­Yes, the organisation is still active.
It's been active for over 10 years, impacted over 12k patients and collaborated with close to1k doctors.

I was everything tech for this org. Before me, they used to maintain an excel sheet for critical patient information and management.
I built from scratch the patient management portal. Patients now register to the portal, our admin assigns them a doctor, the doctor is also notified via portal. The test reports, prescriptions, etc. are maintained on the portal.
I worked with the team, we onboarded the patients and the doctors to the portal, trained the admin on how to manage the portal, interacted with various other organisations who help raise funds for underprivileged folks having a rare disease. This platform became a one stop solution for patient management, from getting access to doctors, having consolidated reports , to sharing patient information and navigate them on their fund raising process.

I was good with tech, but the major learning was working with various different kind of people. I had a workshop training folks in rural areas on how to use the platform, and their view on how to use it was something that could never have crossed my mind.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 35 [0]
Send PM

Quote:

­That's not exactly an extracurrucilar. I tend to think of ECs as ways of being part of something bigger than yourself.

You can absolutely target Wharton but execution will be everything. Every single part of your MBA application will need to be thoughtul, strong, and aligned around fit. 

I work with a fair amount of Wharton candidates and re-applicants. How you tell your story can make or break your candidacy.
Intern
Intern
Send PM

MyMBAPath wrote:
Quote:

­That's not exactly an extracurrucilar. I tend to think of ECs as ways of being part of something bigger than yourself.

You can absolutely target Wharton but execution will be everything. Every single part of your MBA application will need to be thoughtul, strong, and aligned around fit. 

I work with a fair amount of Wharton candidates and re-applicants. How you tell your story can make or break your candidacy.

­I see, I won't say this was something bigger than me, it essentially provided me with a prism that allowed me to shatter ideas. I've been an engineer, and this opened a new world for me. But definitely not something beyond me.

Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 35 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
It's not a bad thing to have, don't get me wrong. But here is how I generally advise candidates about ECs: https://youtu.be/Gpwv_QJjwzY?si=aQgnpPaMpQJmfpfl­
GMAT Club Bot