Last visit was: 01 May 2024, 22:33 It is currently 01 May 2024, 22:33

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 0 [0]
Given Kudos: 11
Send PM
Board of Directors
Own Kudos [?]: 32930 [0]
Given Kudos: 4459
Send PM
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 434 [0]
Given Kudos: 15
GMAT 1: 770 Q48 V51
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 57 [2]
Given Kudos: 30
Concentration: Finance, General Management
GMAT 1: 750 Q51 V42
GPA: 3.1
WE:Project Management (Energy and Utilities)
Send PM
Re: RC hard level accuracy GMAT focus [#permalink]
Kudos
Mehakgyl wrote:
­Hello

I am aiming for a V80 above in my exam. 
I am quite proficient at CR but my accuracy and attempt time for hard RC's is pretty low. 
I'm looking for strategies to improve this. 

Any suggestions would help 

Hi Mehakgyl! Here is the strategy I shared recently for RC. Hope this helps.

Short Passage:
Short RC generally consists of 2-3 paragraphs and has 3 questions to be answered. My suggestion would be to wrap this section within 4-6 minutes out of which 2 minutes can be spent reading the RC (and taking written/mental notes), 1 minute to answer generic questions such as main idea etc. and 2 minutes to answer specific questions related to the RC.

Long Passage:
Long RC generally consists of 3-4 paragraphs and has 4 questions to be answered. My suggestion would be to wrap this section within 6-8 minutes out of which 3 minutes can be spent reading the RC (and taking written/mental notes), 1 minute to answer generic questions such as main idea etc. and 3 minutes to answer specific questions related to the RC.

Detailed Strategy
For both short & long RC it is important to understand the topic and the main purpose/point of the passage. Generally the main purpose of the entire passage is available within first couple of lines of the passage or towards the end of the passage (can be a combination of two lines as well).

Within the passage each paragraph has a purpose (generally mentioned in first or second line of the passage). It’s difficult to remember the entire passage (especially the long and complex passage) and hence it becomes all the more important to understand what details are in what paragraph. Generally, you can pause at the end of each paragraph (for few seconds) and quickly summarise what that paragraph is all about.

Once you have understood the main purpose of the paragraph, you can speed-read through rest of the paragraph. While you do that, be on the lookout for two details 1) whether the sentence is an elaboration of main purpose of the passage 2) or is it a new information such change in direction of the paragraph/ a new idea. If it’s an elaboration of the main purpose, just move on. If it’s a new information, then read it carefully and make mental/written note.

You can do the same for other paragraphs. Once you have finished reading the passage, take a pause for few seconds and review the passage before you start answering the questions. You can think about main point of the passage and purpose of each paragraph.

Now once you have answered all the questions and you are reviewing the answers, you may check if your understanding about the passage changed while you were answering the questions. If it changed, then you will have to understand why it happened. Did it happen because you misread a paragraph (check what did you misread) or did it happen because you read too quickly and overlooked some information?

You should practice this approach during your study/practice sessions in a timed manner as we indicated in the overarching strategy. During practice you should check if you were able to answer all the questions using main point of the passage, purpose of each paragraph, new information in each paragraph or you had to re-read the passage/paragraph coz of which you had to invest additional time. If you had to re-read, then see what parts of the passage were misunderstood or overlooked by you.

Key Takeaways
  1. You DO NOT need to comprehend each line of the passage and understand what it indicates in detail
  2. Understand main point/purpose of the passage
  3. Understand purpose of each paragraph
  4. Look for new information in each paragraph
  5. Remember what details are mentioned in what part of the passage
  6. Practice the strategy in a timed environment
  7. Review your work and understand where you went wrong
­
Target Test Prep Representative
Affiliations: Target Test Prep
Own Kudos [?]: 22115 [0]
Given Kudos: 283
Send PM
Expert Reply
­Hi Mehakgyl,

Since you are looking for RC help, here is a helpful article you can check out:

GMAT Reading Comprehension Tips: Top 8 DOs and DON’Ts
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 15 [0]
Given Kudos: 52
Schools: Booth Wharton
GMAT Focus 1:
695 Q90 V82 DI82
GPA: 4
Send PM
RC is all about mastering the skill of reading with comprehension without going too much into the details. Understand the structure of passage, meaning conveyed by various paragraphs and you are good to go. First focus on accuracy and then time yourself. I found e-gmat strategies and tips to be very helpful for RC. Following their methods has helped me improve my accuracy from 60 pc to 80 pc. You may give their course a try
GMAT Club Bot