Last visit was: 02 May 2024, 13:35 It is currently 02 May 2024, 13:35

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Tags:
Difficulty: 805+ Levelx   Math Relatedx            
Show Tags
Hide Tags
GRE Forum Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 33168 [33]
Given Kudos: 5783
GPA: 3.62
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
RC & DI Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 32176 [6]
Given Kudos: 299
Send PM
GRE Forum Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 33168 [2]
Given Kudos: 5783
GPA: 3.62
Send PM
General Discussion
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 416 [0]
Given Kudos: 778
Send PM
Re: Advertisement: Our new 15/12 discount loan is perfect for quick busine [#permalink]
Please explain repayment amount calculation. I am doing mistake somewhere.
I did it as below.
Loan amount taken: n= 80% of collateral assets
Interest rate 15% on loan amount for 12 months.

Total repayment is n+ interest on n = n+n*0.15*1= 1.15n
Where I did wrong!
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 10 [2]
Given Kudos: 74
Send PM
Re: Advertisement: Our new 15/12 discount loan is perfect for quick busine [#permalink]
Kudos
I must be missing sth.

Can anyone explain, which words exactly provide information that 15% is deducted up front and that the loan proceeds are the remainder?

I also can't understand this sentence: "the loan amount less the total interest for the loan—15% of the loan amount"
Does it mean "the loan amount MINUS the total interest for the loan MINUS 15% of the loan amount"?
Or does it mean "the loan amount MINUS the total interest (WHICH IS 15% of the loan amount)"?

How with a 15% interest the total repayment amount can still be equal to the amount borrowed?

I'm so confused(
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 488 [0]
Given Kudos: 252
Concentration: Technology, General Management
GMAT 1: 700 Q47 V40
GMAT 2: 740 Q49 V41 (Online)
WE:Business Development (Venture Capital)
Send PM
This one is real hard...
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 0 [0]
Given Kudos: 83
Send PM
Can someone help explain this solution.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [1]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Kudos
Question created for banking people.
Loan proceeds - means the money that borrower gets.
Gmat says it creates the questions without bias. But the banking terms used in different parts of the world creates enough bias.
If the disbursed amount is .85n then the 15% interest should be calculated on the principal .85n not n. I think some questions are created to check for time management checking not for scoring.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 17 [0]
Given Kudos: 78
Send PM
Cn someone provide a thorough explanation…?

It looks like you might need to know some terms for this problem…. The 15% deducted up front made no sense. This whole problem makes no sense!
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 4 [0]
Given Kudos: 55
GMAT Focus 1:
645 Q82 V85 DI78
GMAT 1: 620 Q44 V31
GMAT 2: 680 Q47 V37
Send PM
Let me re-write the question prompt below and give a bit of clarity on this question:

"Advertisement: Our new 15/12 discount loan is perfect for quick business projects. Customers can borrow an amount up to 80% of the value of their collateral assets at 15% discounted interest and have 12 months to repay the loan amount.*

*Terms of loan: Loan proceeds, paid by check in rupees, are equal to the loan amount less the total interest for the loan—15% of the loan amount.

A 15/12 loan with amount n rupees is taken out by a business. Select the expressions for the repayment amount (the sum of the payments made to fully repay the loan) and the loan proceeds for this loan. Make only two selections, one in each column."

I am from a non-banking background too. However, it is clear that the loan proceed appears to be an amount paid as a loan. Assuming this, one can then infer that if I take a loan of n rupees, I shall get only 0.85n rupees as loan. The interest amount shall be deducted upfront.

Now, what shall be the interest in this case:

I have taken a loan of 15% interest and borrowed n rupees. Thus, I have to repay 1.15n after a year. As I have already paid 0.15n upfront, the amount left to pay after 1 year is 1.15n-0.15n = 1.00 n

How it is clear.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 3 [2]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Kudos
gvij2017 wrote:
Please explain repayment amount calculation. I am doing mistake somewhere.
I did it as below.
Loan amount taken: n= 80% of collateral assets
Interest rate 15% on loan amount for 12 months.

Total repayment is n+ interest on n = n+n*0.15*1= 1.15n
Where I did wrong!

­I had a lot of trouble with this one as well.

After digging a bit, it is clear that there are banking industry terms used and the 'example' given to help explain it is not very obvious.  My guess is this is just a bad OG question, because:
1) the OG ranks this one Medium
2)The average time and correct answer % does not reflect that
3) GMATClub has it categorized as 805+

I think they just missed the mark with providing an explanation to level the playing field with the banking vernacular used.

The two terms that seem to be trivial in the banking industry are: "Loan proceeds" and "Discount loan"

Loan proceeds just means the amount given to the borrower, nothing more.

Upfront it uses the phrase "Our new 15/12 discount loan".  A discount loan is a type of loan product  where the amount actually given to the borrower is the 'loan amount' minus the 'loan amount multiplied the interst'.  Meaning that if I have a $100 dollar discount loan at 15% interest.  I will be given $85 (100-15) and am expected to pay to the lender $100 dollars.  So the usual interest formulas we learn preparing for the gmat are not applied here.

Once this is understood, it is pretty easy to understand that the loan proceeds "equal to the loan amount less the total interest for the loan" is simply how much the borrower is given.  So a discount loan amount of n at 15% discounted interest is just:

n(100-15)=.85n amount given to borrower, which is the "loan proceeds"
and
n amount repaid by the borrower over 12 months, which is the "repayment amount"
GMAT Club Bot
Moderators:
Math Expert
93010 posts
DI Forum Moderator
1030 posts
RC & DI Moderator
11212 posts