Last visit was: 03 May 2024, 13:50 It is currently 03 May 2024, 13:50

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 681 [17]
Given Kudos: 114
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
Given Kudos: 13
WE:Corporate Finance (Energy and Utilities)
Send PM
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 2757 [1]
Given Kudos: 79
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 35 [1]
Given Kudos: 33
GMAT 1: 680 Q46 V37
GMAT 2: 750 Q50 V40
GPA: 3.5
WE:Information Technology (Telecommunications)
Send PM
Re: The debate over the extent of regulation needed over Internet provider [#permalink]
Kudos
Mechmeera wrote:
ProblemChild wrote:
Bumping an old topic but hopefully someone will help out...

Can someone please explain why 2nd question OA is D? My view: the net neutrality means the ISP is not allowed to do bandwidth balancing by favouring one content over the other. How could the proponents than be for placing limits on bandwidth?

thanks!

I have the same doubt. Experts please help!

--
Proponents of net neutrality believe that this is unfair, and that limiting bandwidth can be accomplished on the user side, as is done in Australia, without directly punishing the provider.

The above statement from the passage implies that it's okay according to the Proponents of net neutrality to limit bandwidth, but not by ISPs but at End USer level.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 22 [1]
Given Kudos: 77
Send PM
Re: The debate over the extent of regulation needed over Internet provider [#permalink]
Kudos
I can't understand why the answer to question 3 is C... I'd really appreciate an explanation...
TIA
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 4 [0]
Given Kudos: 43
Send PM
Can somebody explain Q1? Why B?
B says the paragraph discuss some ISSUES but what are the issues? The paragraph is mainly about the arguments between proponents and opponents of Net Neutrality Principles
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 3380 [4]
Given Kudos: 877
Concentration: Marketing, International Business
Schools: HBS '19
GMAT 1: 770 Q51 V44
GPA: 4
WE:Education (Education)
Send PM
Kudos
ProblemChild wrote:
Bumping an old topic but hopefully someone will help out...

Can someone please explain why 2nd question OA is D? My view: the net neutrality means the ISP is not allowed to do bandwidth balancing by favouring one content over the other. How could the proponents than be for placing limits on bandwidth?

thanks!

The key thing to realize here is that supporters of net neutrality do not want network operators to dictate terms to content providers. Look at the last two sentences of the first paragraph: In order to manage the limited amount of available bandwidth, an operator might slow down a site that uses "too much" bandwidth. Proponents of net neutrality believe that this is unfair, and that limiting bandwidth can be accomplished on the user side, as is done in Australia, without directly punishing the provider.

You saw, correctly, that the first sentence reveals that net neutrality supporters do not want operators to be able to limit available bandwidth. But the seconds sentence reveals that they believe that limiting bandwidth can be achieved in another way:limiting bandwidth can be accomplished on the user side... So they aren't opposed to limited bandwidth, per se, they're just opposed to operators doing the limiting. Apparently, so long as limited bandwidth is imposed on the user side, they're fine with it.
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 3380 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
JohnM wrote:
I can't understand why the answer to question 3 is C... I'd really appreciate an explanation...
TIA

The bandwidth discrimination alluded to in answer choice C is referenced in this line: Opponents claim that discrimination of this sort is unavoidable but benign; some packets of information have different latency requirements and must therefore be handled differently.
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 3380 [0]
Send PM
lehieu30794 wrote:
Can somebody explain Q1? Why B?
B says the paragraph discuss some ISSUES but what are the issues? The paragraph is mainly about the arguments between proponents and opponents of Net Neutrality Principles

The arugment is based on a topic where proponents and opponents are arguing over a change, there are no legal arguments, there is no discussion of any kind of effectiveness, by which we can safely eliminate options A and E.Technical matters and future of a particular industry are OOS as they are not discussed anywhere in paasage.So, by POE answer is B.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 12 [0]
Given Kudos: 75
Send PM
i cant understand question 4 please explain
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 1730 [0]
Given Kudos: 67
Concentration: Finance, Human Resources
Schools: ISB '18 (D)
GPA: 3.97
WE:Project Management (Investment Banking)
Send PM
Still having doubt with Question No 3
Q3 :According to the passage, some people believe that latency requirements _______.

a) tend to affect data applications more than video applications
b) were not an issue with Gopher
c) are an excuse for bandwidth discrimination
d) can slow innovation
e) are an unnecessary obstacle to making the Internet a level playing field

OE is C . Its not an excuse rather its a reasoning given by opponent.
Ca someone explain how is it correct?
GRE Forum Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 33201 [1]
Given Kudos: 5783
GPA: 3.62
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
Kanvi wrote:
i cant understand question 4 please explain

Official Explanation

Q4: Which of the following best describes the author’s attitude toward the FCC’s decision?

Difficulty Level: 650-700

Explanation

The author describes the issue in objective terms, though the last sentence (“It remains to be seen...”) shows some caution.

(A): The author never seems alarmed.
(B): The author never expresses distrust.
(C): At no point is optimism expressed.
(D): The author never uses any enthusiastic terms.

Answer: E

Hope it helps
GRE Forum Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 33201 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
globaldesi wrote:
Still having doubt with Question No 3
Q3 :According to the passage, some people believe that latency requirements _______.

a) tend to affect data applications more than video applications
b) were not an issue with Gopher
c) are an excuse for bandwidth discrimination
d) can slow innovation
e) are an unnecessary obstacle to making the Internet a level playing field

OE is C . Its not an excuse rather its a reasoning given by opponent.
Ca someone explain how is it correct?

Official Explanation

Difficulty Level: 700

Explanation

The 2nd paragraph states that “Opponents claim that discrimination of this sort is unavoidable” in regard to latency requirements.

(A): Latency requirements were not related to these applications in the passage.
(B): Thepassage does not give any information to make a determination on the relevance of latency requirements to Gopher.
(D): No connection was made between latency and innovation.
(E): The passage actually states that discrimination due to latency is “unavoidable.”

Answer: C

Hope it helps
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Given Kudos: 2167
Send PM
Hello,
I want to check my understanding on Q1.

For question 1:
Choice B: mentions 'issues' which is broad enough to encompass all the paragraphs.
Choice E: mentions arguments about hotly debated topic. So it covers 1st and 2nd para.

E does not cover last para: Is this the sole rejection point for E or am I missing something?

Regards,
Ankit
GRE Forum Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 33201 [0]
Send PM
Expert Reply

Anandanwar wrote:
Hello,
I want to check my understanding on Q1.

For question 1:
Choice B: mentions 'issues' which is broad enough to encompass all the paragraphs.
Choice E: mentions arguments about hotly debated topic. So it covers 1st and 2nd para.

E does not cover last para: Is this the sole rejection point for E or am I missing something?

Regards,
Ankit

­Yes! E is partially correct and ill-directed. Although legal arguments are mentioned, the passage does not primarily focus on summarizing legal arguments. Instead, it provides a broader overview of the issues and perspectives surrounding net neutrality.
GMAT Club Bot
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6925 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts
GRE Forum Moderator
13982 posts