Last visit was: 03 May 2024, 11:04 It is currently 03 May 2024, 11:04

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 0 [0]
Given Kudos: 14
Send PM
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 1491 [2]
Given Kudos: 77
GMAT 1: 800 Q51 V51
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 11 [1]
Given Kudos: 76
Send PM
Founder
Founder
Own Kudos [?]: 72998 [0]
Given Kudos: 18906
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3
Send PM
Re: Absolutely devastating 150 points lower on actual gmat than [#permalink]
Expert Reply
rashes - I am sorry about the test result.

There are several reasons why people score low:
1. Don't prep well (not your case)
2. Terrible time management (not your case either except V maybe)
3. Get all flustered and fall for traps (maybe a little?)
4. Just random (score jumps up/down)

I have a feeling that you may be the case of just randomly not scoring well but we need to see your mistake count. We have seen people go from 655 to 755 https://gmatclub.com/forum/gave-my-gmat ... 28634.html a week or so ago so if it is possible to go up 100 points, should also be possible to go down 100 points.

Just curious, what order did you take the test and how many mistakes did you make? Your score report should outline which questions you got wrong and that should give you an idea why you scored lower.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 1307 [0]
Given Kudos: 16
Send PM
Quote:
While i was giving the test, I was time crunched on verbal, I fear I didn't click submit on the last question ( Did it get auto submitted - i had clicked the option)

In case you think of retaking, replaying what happened during the test as you look over your score report info could be helpful. You could see whether the last question was attempted, for example. If you include/share your score report info here, people may provide some specific suggestions as well (careful to hide any personal info). Perhaps write a profile-review, too. You could mention your current score, the schools you're targeting, and any queries you may have.

Might be worth reaching out to the schools you're targeting. They may potentially allow you to apply with your current score and "update it" after the deadline, for example.
Quote:
I had consistently scored above V82, today it was a V76

If you feel your fundamentals are solid, working on your solving approach may help a bit. Leveraging your error-log to see which types of questions you find slippery could be helpful as well (i.e. CR assumption questions).

How to score high on GMAT Verbal.­
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 1491 [0]
Given Kudos: 77
GMAT 1: 800 Q51 V51
Send PM
Expert Reply
EDDIE98 wrote:
Hi MartyMurray how can we apply streak method to CR?
Thanks

­Hi EDDIE98.

You can either shoot for easy, medium, and hard streaks of CR questions of mixed type or shoot for steaks of one type at a time.

For example, you could shoot for streaks of 15 easy, 15 medium, and 15 hard Weaken questions, and then do the same for Strengthen, Assumption, etc.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 4666 [0]
Given Kudos: 634
GMAT Focus 1:
715 Q83 V90 DI83
GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V51
GRE 1: Q170 V169
Send PM
Expert Reply
rashes wrote:
I just gave my exam, and I am horribly frustrated so this is what I'm going to do share my experience and request advice.

­Hi rashes,

I know this can be frustrating, but for what it's worth, you are already capable of a much higher score. We know that because all your official practice tests scores are 675+.

Sometimes we just need to take the exam again. If I were you, I'd take a short break (it seems you may be close to burning out) and then take the exam again. If you do retake, you could ask your target schools whether they'll accept an updated GMAT score.

All the best.
Target Test Prep Representative
Affiliations: Target Test Prep
Own Kudos [?]: 22128 [0]
Given Kudos: 283
Send PM
Expert Reply
I'm sorry to hear about your test results.

In many cases, such a dramatic score drop is the result of making silly mistakes (or anxiety). So, this article may help: Improving Your Accuracy on the GMAT

Here's another article that may also help: ­Why Was My GMAT Score Lower Than My Practice Test Scores?

Keep in mind that you've already demonstrated that you have the necessary skills to score 675+. So, start working on any remaining weaknesses in preparation for your retake!

GMAT Club Bot
Moderator:
Founder
37354 posts