Last visit was: 03 May 2024, 11:52 It is currently 03 May 2024, 11:52

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 620967 [8]
Given Kudos: 81742
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 0 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 620967 [0]
Given Kudos: 81742
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [1]
Given Kudos: 51
Send PM
Two bicycle wheels, A and B, start rotating at constant speeds at the [#permalink]
Kudos
I think the answer should be C.

Statement 1: NOT SUFFICIENT. Assuming the speed of the wheel A= x and B=3x, we cannot determine the individual actual speeds (which are required to answer this question).

Statement 2: NOT SUFFICIENT. The average speed also doesn't help to determine the individual actual speeds (which are required to answer this question).

Putting Statement 1 and Statement 2 together
The individual speeds can be determined by the formula: Average Speed= (S1+S2)/2 
40= x+3x/2
x= 20 revolutions per min (Speed of A)
3x= 60 revolutions per min(Speed of B)

Relative Distance= 6 rotations (given in the question stem)
Relative Speed= 60-20 revolutions per min (calculated above)

Time= Relative Distance/Relative Speed
= 6*60/40
= 9 secs

Originally posted by PRAGATIOSTWAL on 23 Apr 2024, 01:55.
Last edited by PRAGATIOSTWAL on 23 Apr 2024, 10:21, edited 2 times in total.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 11 [0]
Given Kudos: 76
Send PM
Two bicycle wheels, A and B, start rotating at constant speeds at the [#permalink]
PRAGATIOSTWAL wrote:

Statement 1: NOT SUFFICIENT. Assuming the speed of the wheel A= x and B=3x, we cannot determine the individual actual speeds (which are required to answer this question).

Statement 2: NOT SUFFICIENT. The average speed also doesn't help to determine the individual actual speeds (which are required to answer this question).

The individual speeds can be determined by the formula: Average Speed= 2*S1*S2/(S1+S2)
40= 2*x*3x/(x+3x)
x= 80/3 revolutions per min (Speed of A)
3x= 80 revolutions per min(Speed of B)

Relative Speed= 80-80/3 revolutions per min (calculated above)

= 6*60/(160/3)
= 6 3/4 secs

I am not sure about the last calculation part of Relative Time. Can someone please cross-check the logic and the calculation of my explanation here?

I think your avg velocity formula can't be applied in this condition.
2ab/(a+b) is that same Distance different speed but here same time

Posted from my mobile device
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [0]
Send PM
Re: Two bicycle wheels, A and B, start rotating at constant speeds at the [#permalink]
EDDIE98 wrote:
PRAGATIOSTWAL wrote:

The individual speeds can be determined by the formula: Average Speed= 2*S1*S2/(S1+S2)
40= 2*x*3x/(x+3x)

= 6*60/(160/3)
= 6 3/4 secs

I am not sure about the last calculation part of Relative Time. Can someone please cross-check the logic and the calculation of my explanation here?

­Thank you for pointing out my mistake. I have corrected my solution/explanation now.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Given Kudos: 6
Send PM
Re: Two bicycle wheels, A and B, start rotating at constant speeds at the [#permalink]
@Bunuel Can you please provide the OE for this question. I am a bit confused.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
@Bunuel, can you please provide the OE for this question. I am a bit confused.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
PRAGATIOSTWAL wrote:
EDDIE98 wrote:
PRAGATIOSTWAL wrote:

40= 2*x*3x/(x+3x)

= 6*60/(160/3)
= 6 3/4 secs

­Thank you for pointing out my mistake. I have corrected my solution/explanation now.

­I am sorry. I do not understand how you are calculating Average Speed. Why are we doing 2*S1*S2/(S1+S2) instead of your earlier way. I don't understand EDDIE's explanation. Same time but different distance covered so different speed right?
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [0]
Send PM
OokandGluk: Here's the concept with which we proceeded to calculate Time in this question stem:
Case 1 – When the distance is constant: Average speed = 2xy/x+y; where x and y are the two speeds at which the same distance has been covered.
Case 2 – When the time taken is constant: Average speed = (x + y)/2; where x and y are the two speeds at which we traveled for the same time.

If you re-read the question requirement, it clearly states that we need to find time (in seconds) when the rotation of Wheel B is more than Wheel A. This means the distance traveled would differ for both wheels within the same time frame. Hence, we'll go with case 2 to calculate the speeds.
GMAT Club Bot
Moderator:
Math Expert
93025 posts