Last visit was: 03 May 2024, 18:51 It is currently 03 May 2024, 18:51

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
RC & DI Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 32208 [0]
Given Kudos: 299
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [0]
Given Kudos: 66
Send PM
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 65076 [1]
Given Kudos: 431
Send PM
RC & DI Moderator
Send PM
Re: In a certain locality X on a river bank, every person [#permalink]
Expert Reply
Hacchuu wrote:
Every person with a dog also has a cat
Most people with a Cat also have an alligator => Some people with a cat don't have an alligator
Most people with an Alligator have guests for at least 15 days => Few people with an Alligator don't have guests for more than 15 days.

My Answer: It can be said that some of those who have a dog as a pet have guests for less than 15 days a month.
Why?
Given: Everyone who has a dog has a cat and most of them have an alligator out of which most houses get guests for 15 days minimum.

Which means:
Some who have a dog and a cat, don't have an alligator -> Cannot guess the number of days guests visit
Some who have a dog, cat and an alligator -> Have guests for less than 15 days or no guests at all.

This seems logical to me.

I'm not sure how we can infer the provided answer i.e. It can be said that some of those who have a cat as a pet have guests for at least 10 days a month.­

chetan2u Bunuel KarishmaB can you help explain please?­

­KarishmaB is spot on with her explanation. Let me modify the wordings to get an answer out of it.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
All(Dog) = Cat

Most(Cat) = Alligator

Most (Cat) >= 15

Therefore, Some(Cat) = Not Alligator

Some Alligator= Not Cat

Choices

Some Alligator= <15 Days

Please explain atleast 10 Days logic?

Posted from my mobile device
RC & DI Moderator
Send PM
Expert Reply

chetan2u wrote:
In a certain locality X on a river bank, every person who has a dog at home also has a cat as a pet. Further, it is known that most of those who have cat as a pet do keep alligator as a pet. It has also been seen that most of those who keep cat have guests for at least 15 days in a month.

Statement: It can be said that ____1___ have guests  for ___2___ .

Select for 1 and for 2 the options that creates the most logical statement based on the information above. Make only two selections, one in each column.­

­I will add a Venn Diagram too. 

1) Every person who has a dog at home also has a cat as a pet. => D is completely a part of C. D is a tiny part of C or almost equal to C, we cannot say.
2) Further, it is known that most of those who have cat as a pet do keep alligator as a pet. => More than 50% of the circle of C is covered by A. There could be A elsewhere too.
3) It has also been seen that most of those who keep cat have guests for at least 15 days in a month. => More than 50% of the circle of C is again covered by G. There could be G elsewhere too.

From 2 and 3 above, we get that there has to be some overlap at least between A and G. So, So, at least some of A is correct.
Now G is at least 15 days, so 'more than 15 days may be wrong'. It could be all are exactly 15 days we are not aware. However, at least 15 days is part of at least 10 days, so correct.

1: At least some of the aligator
2: at least 10 days 

GMAT Club Bot
Moderators:
Math Expert
93025 posts
DI Forum Moderator
1030 posts
RC & DI Moderator
11216 posts