Last visit was: 19 May 2024, 13:31 It is currently 19 May 2024, 13:31
Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 625077 [9]
Given Kudos: 81901
Send PM
Quant Chat Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 4425 [1]
Given Kudos: 1856
Concentration: Strategy, Leadership
Send PM
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 846 [3]
Given Kudos: 59
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 45 [3]
Given Kudos: 683
GMAT Focus 1:
655 Q87 V80 DI80
GMAT 1: 690 Q49 V35
Send PM
­On Friday, four people sat one behind the other in a movie theater. [#permalink]
Kudos
Since the answer choices are near the number 10 and no straightforward method comes to mind within 30 seconds, we can go with manually counting favorable cases.

Assume the order of people on Friday from 1st seat to the last seat was A B C D, where A,B,C,D are the people.

So to count total seatings on Saturday, let's start with arrangements starting from A

A C B D
A D C B

Total = 2
Now arrangements starting with B,

B A D C
B D A C
B D C A

Total = 3
Arrangements starting with C,

C A D B
C B A D
C B D A

Total = 3

Arrangments starting with D,

D A C B
D B A C
D C B A

Total = 3

So total count = 2+3+3+3 = 11. Choice D­
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 331 [0]
Given Kudos: 469
Send PM
Re: ­On Friday, four people sat one behind the other in a movie theater. [#permalink]
KarishmaB Any quick method , considering we need to get the answer in 2/3 mins ?

Posted from my mobile device
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 65368 [3]
Given Kudos: 431
Send PM
­On Friday, four people sat one behind the other in a movie theater. [#permalink]
Kudos
Expert Reply
Bunuel wrote:
­On Friday, four people sat one behind the other in a movie theater. How many ways are there to rearrange the order of the people for Saturday, so that no person is directly behind someone they were directly behind on Friday?

A. 8
B. 9
C. 10
D. 11
E. 12

­
One can use Sets here.
Friday's arrangement:
A
B
C
D
We do not want AB, BC and CD in that order. 

No of ways of arranging 4 people = 4!

Number of ways of arranging such that AB are together = 3! = 6 (same for BC and same for CD)

There will be overlaps. When AB is together, BC is together too i.e. ABC is together in 2! cases = 2 cases (Two sets overlap)
Same is true for BCD (2 sets overlap) and AB & CD (2 sets overlap)

In 1 case (Friday's case) all AB, BC and CD are together (all three sets overlap in 1 case). Hence, this is how the overlap looks like:

Attachment:
Screenshot 2024-05-03 at 11.14.55 AM.png
Screenshot 2024-05-03 at 11.14.55 AM.png [ 106.64 KiB | Viewed 709 times ]

Since AB and BC are together in 2 cases and in 1 case all 3 overlap, only AB and BC are together in 1 case. Similarly for others too. 

Hence, number of acceptable cases with none of these = 24 - 13 = 11

Answer (D)­

*Added some details for clarity. 

Originally posted by KarishmaB on 02 May 2024, 22:49.
Last edited by KarishmaB on 03 May 2024, 00:17, edited 2 times in total.
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 331 [0]
Send PM
KarishmaB , Thank you so much , maa'm for responding. No thanks is enough for the way you are helping us. 
However , I have got few doubts here(in the highlighted portions).
Don't you think the "Number of ways of arranging such that of AB (or BC or CD) together = 3! *2! because (AB) , C , D ; For each of these three units,  A and B can arrange themselves in 2! ways. Hence not just 3! ( as mentioned by you in the solution) , it should be 3!*2! , I think.  Please correct me if I am wrong.  Is it because the order does not matter in this case hence you are writing only 3! and not 3!*2! ?

Also , I dint understand completely  the way you arranged overlapped portion of 1 s ( highlighted in your solution ).
Can you help a bit more ?
KarishmaB wrote:
Bunuel wrote:
­On Friday, four people sat one behind the other in a movie theater. How many ways are there to rearrange the order of the people for Saturday, so that no person is directly behind someone they were directly behind on Friday?

A. 8
B. 9
C. 10
D. 11
E. 12

­
One can use Sets here.
Friday's arrangement:
A
B
C
D

We do not want AB, BC and CD in that order. 
No of ways of arranging 4 people = 4!
Number of ways of arranging such that of AB (or BC or CD) together = 3! = 6

There will be overlaps. When AB is together, BC is together too i.e. ABC is together in 2! cases = 2 cases (Two overlap)
Same is true for BCD and AB & CD.
In 1 case (Friday's case) all AB, BC and CD are together (all three overlap). Hence, this is how the overlap looks like:
Attachment:
Screenshot 2024-05-03 at 11.14.55 AM.png

Hence, number of acceptable cases with none of these = 24 - 13 = 11

Answer (D)­

­
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 331 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
KarishmaB I think I got it now. Please correct me if I am wrong.
Number of ways of arranging such that  AB (or BC or CD)  are together = 3! only because (AB) , C , D and we are concerned about only this arrangement and not arrangements such as (BA) , C , D and hence dint multiply 3! with 2! for including the ways A and B can arrange between themselves. Hence only one order of A and B matters. And that's why 3! only.­ Bunuel , Am I correct in my understanding ? Can we have  links of questions of this type so that we can practise and master ?­

Originally posted by sayan640 on 03 May 2024, 00:37.
Last edited by sayan640 on 03 May 2024, 20:09, edited 1 time in total.
GMAT Club Bot
Moderators:
Math Expert
93341 posts
Senior Moderator - Masters Forum
3137 posts