Last visit was: 19 May 2024, 13:30 It is currently 19 May 2024, 13:30
Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel

Sloan or LBS

You may select 1 option
Tags:
Find Similar Topics  Add a Tag
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 0 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
Founder
Founder
Own Kudos [?]: 73270 [0]
Given Kudos: 18985
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3
Send PM
Founder
Founder
Own Kudos [?]: 73270 [0]
Given Kudos: 18985
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3
Send PM
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 649 [2]
Given Kudos: 28
Concentration: Operations, Marketing
Send PM
Re: Sloan MIT vs London Business School [#permalink]
Kudos

Korry wrote:
Hi all,
Would love to get your wisdom on this.
Would you choose LBS or Sloan MIT.

About me-

• I work at a big CVC, previously did IB
  • I studied a double degree in finance and in computer engineering.
  • I come from southern Europe, not going home after the program.
  • Post MBA aspirations- work for a Growth VC/ PE/ Hedge fund/ Chief of Staff for a big public company

MIT
Pros:

•  Brand and prestige
  •  Alumni network takes a slight edge over London
  •  Cohort seemed a bit more well accomplished than the LBS cohort (although LBS was also impressive)
  •  Advantage in any tech related role (whether its VC/ Chief of Staff at a tech company, tech focused PE).
  •  US market is bigger (although I would only go for working in NY).

LBS
Pros

•  Living in London- I am a city boy, I enjoy the nightlife, culture and the options a hub like London provides + a better weather than Boston. This is a big plus
  •  International cohorts- although MIT is also relatively very international for a US MBa, London is 93% internationals.
  •  If I choose non-tech positions such as PE- London might be better.
  •  Visa post graduation is easier in London
  •  Ability to have an exchange semester which I intend to exploit, haven't seen MIT offering a robust or any exchange program.
  •  The cohort seemed more outgoing and vibrant compared to Sloan (both were very nice, I am an extrovert).

Irrelevant

• living in London or in New York are my post MBA options and are equivalent in my eyes, not bound to geography.
  • Funding or costs.
  • The fact that LBS can be a shorter program.
  • Proximity to home.
  • Post MBA salary, I might earn more in NY (after MIT) but my net income will be the same (NY is crazy expensive even compared to London).

I think I will enjoy my time in LBS more but MIT has an edge professionally, again this is a complete guestimation.
My family and friends encourage me to go for Sloan because it is a more recognizable brand in my county, but honestly I am 50-50, I am really not sure.
Would love your take!

Posted from my mobile device­

­Korry congratulations on the stellar admits! 

MIT has a slight edge overall in terms of brand prestige and has great brand recall globally. However, keep in mind that getting an expensive MBA in the US for international students comes with certain challenges because you need to focus on finding the right sponsorship opportunity, and until then, the search may limit your international travel options to some extent during and after the MBA. For people who have lived in the EU/UK, it can take some getting used to as it's not something people even think about there and they travel around other countries for leisure trips occassionally over the weekends. In my opinion, studying in the US means you are committing to living in the US for at least a few years, if not longer. If you are looking forward to exploring NYC and see what that entails in terms of professional opportunities and extra professional engagements, you will enjoy the experience.

Best wishes
Aanchal Sahni (INSEAD MBA alum, former INSEAD MBA admissions interviewer)
Founder, MBAGuideConsulting 
LinkedIn |WEBSITE: https://mbaguideconsulting.com/| Message(WA): +91 9971200927| email- mbaguideconsulting@gmail.com­

GMAT Club Bot
Re: Sloan MIT vs London Business School [#permalink]
Moderator:
Admitted - Which School Forum Moderator
1130 posts